PDA

View Full Version : Accredited advice

Helen Dempster
15-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Morning all - hope you're enjoying the hols?

At drop off just now, a parent asked me if I'm able to offer the free childcare places...I'm not and I'm just wondering how do I go about this and if it's worth doing (for myself and my business), or is it too much like hard work? It's something I would like to do, but not to the detriment of my health! LOL

Any advice from would be appreciated - thanks :thumbsup:

The Juggler
15-02-2012, 08:29 AM
you would have to join a quality assured network hon, either NCMA run or run by your LA staff :thumbsup:

karensmart4
15-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Talk to your Development Officer if you have one they have all the information that's relevant to your area as they do differ.

I have noticed that different area's have different payments as well so you'll have to check that out to see if it's viable.

On the plus side, you can give the parents the choice of staying with you or even sharing care with your local Nursery etc.

You don't need to do anything that you're not doing now with regard to education.

On the down side (if you can call it that) you get paid termly.

Check it out and see if it suits you, it does take a while to put into place but if you start now you could be accredited by September :thumbsup:

moggy
15-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Check you local regs- here you need to have the Level 3 qualification to be on the Network and Accredited.

flowerpots
15-02-2012, 09:06 AM
It depends where in the country you are hun. Here in Midlands you need to be on a qualtiy assured network, have completed or doing a level 3 qualification, in the beginning i had to fill out ncma paperwork and L A paperwork.

Now i am delivering there really isnt any extra paperwork at all, the only thing extra that happens is i get a visit per term from a qualifie teacher support person. (hope that makes sense:blush:)

x

Gherkin
15-02-2012, 09:27 AM
In Peterborough you have to be on the network having completed the local quality assurance scheme, have a good or outstanding at inspection and I think there may be other paperwork involved also but not sure (they have changed it since I started minding).

Just a bit of paperwork each term and a termly visit from the network coordinator.

Eddisonsmum
15-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm going through it at the moment. I've been left some paperwork to fill in which covers risk assessments. She is coming back on 1st march to go through my risk assessment of house with me just like what ofsted do I guess. She said it takes about 6 visits in total. Most of them are observations on activities, meal time, toileting etc.. Plus she needs to see all my paperwork etc.. She said to me the hourly rate is good in Kent, and she made it sound like its not too much more work as I had read on here that it is alot more, but she said not really, it's just to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

You also need to show that you are doing continued development. I've already done this year what I am expected to do by end of year as we can count things like that course we went to.

I'm hoping by Easter to be finished. Did you see the treasure chest stand at gravesend? Once we are accredited we can join that and borrow some amazing equipment from that.

Let me know how you get on x

JCrakers
16-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I looked into it. I had to have good or above, level 3 in childcare do a course called progress from the start all of which were fine.
But I also had to put together a business plan which firstly I didnt understnad the need for it and I dodnt have time to do a 8 page document listing what my income would be for the next 3yrs, where I see myself in the future, how I advertise, who my customers are, how I would sustain my business, blah,blah,blah....lol

Out of principle I didnt do the business plan so wasnt able to carry on.
Each county asks for different things so contact yours

JulieA
16-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Yes, each local authority appears to have different requirements (and payments). Here in Bristol we have to be a member of the Network, obtaining a Level 3 (if not held already), and be Good or Outstanding. There is a commitment to undertaking so many hours of training each year, and a yearly visit from the Support Worker.

As regards to paperwork there isn't really anything different, once you have completed the initial application, except completing the headcount forms (which help you to get paid) each Term.

I find that of the parents I have using this with me, the majority just top up the hours they can't/don't claim through a pre-school

Carol M
16-02-2012, 01:13 PM
We have to have level 3, good or outstanding and been childminding for at least 2 yrs. Criteria are changing in Worcestershire, we now are going to be using WER and EQUISP and FCCERS is optional.
In the 2 yrs I have been accredited I have only provided the funding for existing parent, not one enquirey for funded sessions, and to be honest I do not want lots of 2/3/4 yr olds only accessing their 15 hrs. What a nightmare that would be.
I earn 12p per hr more and I'm asking myself if it is all worth it. We have to enter details via a complicated computer programme ( well it is complicated to me) and not once have I been paid when they say I will receive payment.
And I think we all have difficulty working in partnership with othey Early years settings if we share the care/funded sessions.
Nuff said
Carol xx