PDA

View Full Version : Daddy daycare Chennel 4 Tonight

Tink
15-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Will you be watching tonight 8pm Channel 4?

British women do twice as much childcare as men, and nearly half of all mothers feel that their partners don't do their fair share.

In this series, nine men are sent on a crash course in childcare by their long-suffering wives and partners. Sent to work in three busy nurseries, they tackle every aspect of childcare under the watchful eyes of the nursery staff.

Can throwing them in at the deep end teach these dads to be better fathers and give their kids the loving, positive male role models they need?

I think it will be very interesting!!!

Trouble
15-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Should be fun to watch !:D

miffy
15-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I saw a trailer for that - might watch and see what it's like.

Miffy xx

VeggieSausage
15-02-2012, 08:05 AM
my dh is good with looking after children, although I am here during the day and picking up from school, he does drop off and lots lots more, yesterday took ds to Kew with a friend and the day before somewhere else while I was working etc but he does NOTHING else practically. He thinks he does as he does a bit of cooking and sometimes loads the dishwasher (never cleans up the kitchen of course) grrrr.....suppose you can't have everything!

rickysmiths
15-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I will be watching but it is a shame they didn't use Childminders as 'Trainers' as well.

My dh is a gem. He has always been hands on with our two and I remember when dd was still small enough to be in a sling he went to Brent Cross to do some shopping. He came home very indignant saying ' Do you know all the nappy changing facilities are in the Ladies Loos!!' This was 19yrs ago!

He has always enjoyed days out with both children on his own and with each of them on their own. He bathed them, changed nappies, got up in the night to change wet beds.

He cooks and he does clean up! he will hoover, do the washing and ironing. About the only thing he won't do without a push is Gardening.

His mother trained him well! I am training my son as well. He is 17yrs. He will change a nappy, he had to learn if he was going to babysit! He cooks, doesn't clean up quite well enough yet, work in progress, he loads and puts on the washing machine, irons, hoovers and I am currently teaching him how to clean a bathroom and loo!!! How can he look after himself when he leaves home without these skills and while he is at home I'm certainly not his maid. :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
15-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I will be watching, although i have a great patner :thumbsup:

little chickee
15-02-2012, 01:30 PM
There used to be a programme on in the afternoons "Mums on strike", similar thing except it was done within the family home.

Mum went off to a spa for a week and Dad was left to look after the kids and run the household. I used to like watching it. dads never failed to be amazed at what mum atcually spent her time doing.

My 12yo son wants to watch this so i'll be watching with him.

rickysmiths
15-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I had to laugh. One of my parents, dad, arrived one morning and said I haven't brought his milk powder mum didn't leave it out for me :panic:

Does he not know where is son's milk powder is kept and is he incapable of filling the milk dispenser?

Tink
15-02-2012, 02:46 PM
My DH is absolutely superb and is my assistant but he is so much more than an assistant he works brilliantly with all the children and I love working with him.

We have one dad who really has not got a clue he drops of child in a morning with no shoes because he doesn't know where they are kept, and no food as he doesn't know what C eats:eek: I am always amazed child C's mum always says she does everything and yes she certainly does!!!

NicoleW
15-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Oo I'd so send my OH on there lol.

He's been off for three days, spends all the time on the computer because "You're a childminder so I'm not going to come down in your working hours as it's your job, you don't come t my workplace and help me do you?"

Well no but I would!

littletreasures
15-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm looking forward to watching this tonight.

It looks as though they are going to have a bit of a shock x

boxtree7
15-02-2012, 05:25 PM
My husband rang before to say when he comes in he is having a bath, tea and bed !! I have pressed the reminder button!

watgem
15-02-2012, 05:57 PM
we are watching it tonight, my hubby confessed last year that when ours were babies he used to pretend to be asleep so I would get up in the night for them all:rolleyes:

AliceK
15-02-2012, 06:28 PM
we are watching it tonight, my hubby confessed last year that when ours were babies he used to pretend to be asleep so I would get up in the night for them all:rolleyes:

Yes I accuse my OH of doing the same. I'm sure he did when DD was a baby and even now if one of them wakes in the night and needs me he swears he never hears anything :rolleyes:

xxxx

rickysmiths
15-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Well I watched it and was not impressed at all. Sorry but what a load of rubbish. I won't be watching it next week.

PixiePetal
15-02-2012, 10:33 PM
didn't see the programme but I have to say my mindees dad is a very hands on dad. Mum went away at the weekend to see friends with the 3yr old boy leaving dad at home with 1yr old girl - she had had a sick bug and was still recovering. They were all meant to go but rather than cancel, she went as it was her old friend.

She also said she thought it was healthy and good for them all to have separate times and have 1 to 1 with each child as well as time together. A great family :thumbsup:

My DH was ok once ours grew a bit but said he did feel a bit useless with the children as I had been in childcare - nanny/nursery since the age of 17. I think my children were about 4 and 7 when I first went away with friends for a long weekend leaving them in dads hands. They survived and I have been going a couple of times a year since!

NicoleW
16-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I wasn't impressed either, thought it was going to be way better.

I don't personally like places set out like that with seperate rooms for the children

cherry
16-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I was disappointed in it as well, thought it would be much better, looking at next weeks trailer it might be better

snufflepuff
16-02-2012, 08:32 AM
It wasn't what I thought it would be. Seemed a bit sad that they all wanted the Dad's to fail. I thought they did quite well in parts!

My OH is very good with DS- gets up to him in the night more often than I do! I just wish he would help out around the house a bit more, he just doesn't seem to see mess and dirt, and has no idea what needs doing!

rickysmiths
16-02-2012, 08:32 AM
And I don't know if its just me, but I thought the Nursery looked mucky, messy and disorganized and not a good place for any child to be. If I were them I would have wanted to up the game a bit and look a bit more professional.

Pixie dust
16-02-2012, 08:49 AM
And I don't know if its just me, but I thought the Nursery looked mucky, messy and disorganized and not a good place for any child to be. If I were them I would have wanted to up the game a bit and look a bit more professional.

Totally agree with you I was a nursery manager and was shocked by the state of the nursery. I know it was situated in a deprived area but it didn't look welcoming and the rooms well I can't believe that so many were crammed in to such small spaces. Can't say I saw much of the EYFS in action. Sorry could go on for ever about what was wrong with the whole thing. I will watch again next week to see if it improves.

kel1983
16-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I watched it. Completely not what I expected.

The dads could have done with more one to one with children not a group of 10 children. In reality they would only be looking after 1 to 4 children at a time.

It would have been better to send them to another home and got them looking after another family.

The staff at the nursery seemed to be anti-male and just kept putting the dads down. They all made an effort to entertain the children. They were not given advice on how to deal with situations before actually being thrown in the deep end. For example the story dancing. It would have been better if the nursery staff had chatted to the men first about it and given them advice instead of just letting them get on with it and then being told later were they went wrong.

I do think these dads need a kick up the bum to do more at home.

LOOPYLISA
16-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I won't be watching next week :panic:

jumping j
16-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I watched it this morning, thank you sky plus!
and I have to say I don't think it portrayed the setting in a very good light.
I thought the dad's would be hopeless but I have to say I was quite impressed in the end, not what I was expecting at all, I thought they'd all be hopeless and not wanting to try.

Ripeberry
16-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd hate to be a child in that nursery. So institutional :( I think the dad's would have been better in smaller groups. And the workers there were telling them not to 'hype' the kids up.
That dad doing the bear hunt was great. Most fun those kids have had there!

Playmate
16-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I thought the dads considering the lack of support they received, were bril! The nursery and the staff gave me horrors :eek: They commented at one point that the military dad coped quite well in the baby room because of the routine. They then said he would have a shock in the pre-school room where is was chaos:eek: Personally I feel it should be the other way round we currently have 3 under 2's (which can be chaos :blush:) and 4 2-3's. my pre-schoolers all have routine and know how to behave :D

Hopefully one good thing will come out of this: people will see that many (and I'm not saying all) nurseries are not the wonderful places that alot of parents seem to think they are!

Playmate
16-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I'd hate to be a child in that nursery. So institutional :( I think the dad's would have been better in smaller groups. And the workers there were telling them not to 'hype' the kids up.
That dad doing the bear hunt was great. Most fun those kids have had there!

I agree about the bear hunt, that is the sought of thing my hubby would initiate and works well (he can also be sensible and does all the mundane things). I thought the staff in this nursery need some retraining! I did suggest to Mick we hire a bus, but I got one of THOSE looks :laughing: but maybe in a group it would be a great idea :D

Pipsqueak
16-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Well I watched it and was not impressed at all. Sorry but what a load of rubbish. I won't be watching it next week.

Ditto. I thought it was a very biased and stereotypical piece of media journalism.
As to the women in the nursery... I wondered if they were just going to come right out and say 'we don't employ men here BECAUSE they are men'

And OMG - how regimented and structured was that nursery - where on earth were individual needs being met?

Pipsqueak
16-02-2012, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=snufflepuff;1055085]It wasn't what I thought it would be. Seemed a bit sad that they all wanted the Dad's to fail. I thought they did quite well in parts!

QUOTE]

snap to the part in bold. I found the programme awful.

It would be like throwing someone who has no experience of driving a lorry into a lorry and expecting them to find their way round it all the whilst being laughed at.

Yay to the Dad to took the kids on a bear hunt - a proper one!

I found the women in that programme boardering on discriminatory

cabby
16-02-2012, 01:47 PM
the only bit i watched was the dad taking the kids on a bear hunt....i thought he was great:clapping::clapping::clapping:

i cant believe how the staff were putting him down for doing it :panic:

jelly15
16-02-2012, 02:48 PM
If I were a parent about to consider childcare that place would have put me off looking a nurseries. I am not biased because I am a CM but I don't think it was a good role model for nurseries.

Jiorjiina
16-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I couldn't believe how much the women there were outting the dad's down.

They might not have been great (although I thought the ex-soldier had some real potential), but they had a flipping good go.

And chucking them into a room full of children without any advice or guidance when the whole reason they're there is because they're not used to children was horrendous!

It did not show that place in a good light at all.

NicoleW
16-02-2012, 04:24 PM
No I don't think it did either.

I'd be mortified if my child went there, I understand nurseries can be busy but seriously? It look disorganised, chaotic, it didn't look welcoming, it looked like a school and not very nurturing

watgem
16-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought the staff's attitude to the dads was discriminatory frankly, and as a parent I wouldn't have been happy for the nation to see my baby being changed with its face visible, its bits and nappy contents visible too, I did feel that was not good. it was interesting that they updated us about the dads after, but after seeing the programme I am happy with my setting and glad that I don't work in a nursery, I'm not sure it was shown in the best light

beachgirl29
22-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I felt terrible watching this....the women really put the men in the deep end and didnt seem to help just seemed to enjoyed seeing them fail! Was not happy to see one guy doing a bit better then the others then the manager right hes off to another room to see if we can make him look bad!

Poor guy who had to think up a game in 10mins and for kids he doesnt know.

I know its a womens world in this job but i did work in a nursery with a lovely lad but he never had a chance with all the negative comments alot like these men.

Has this really improved peoples views on men in childcare?

beachgirl29
22-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Will not be watching it again! Very very annoyed with it! :mad:

JCrakers
23-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I will be watching but it is a shame they didn't use Childminders as 'Trainers' as well.

My dh is a gem. He has always been hands on with our two and I remember when dd was still small enough to be in a sling he went to Brent Cross to do some shopping. He came home very indignant saying ' Do you know all the nappy changing facilities are in the Ladies Loos!!' This was 19yrs ago!

He has always enjoyed days out with both children on his own and with each of them on their own. He bathed them, changed nappies, got up in the night to change wet beds.

He cooks and he does clean up! he will hoover, do the washing and ironing. About the only thing he won't do without a push is Gardening.

His mother trained him well! I am training my son as well. He is 17yrs. He will change a nappy, he had to learn if he was going to babysit! He cooks, doesn't clean up quite well enough yet, work in progress, he loads and puts on the washing machine, irons, hoovers and I am currently teaching him how to clean a bathroom and loo!!! How can he look after himself when he leaves home without these skills and while he is at home I'm certainly not his maid. :thumbsup:

He sounds amazing...do you hire him out :D
My hubbie is ****** useless :laughing: Whenever we argue I always blame his mum for not making him do things when he was younger. And he came straight to live with me from his Mum so never lived on his own :angry:

He is getting better after 15yrs together...bless him :rolleyes: