PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to register wit the ICO??

GemSar
14-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

today we had our first inpection. We store most of our information on a password protected computer, but when we went to show the inspector the notification form for the ICO she didnt know what it was.
Has anyone else notified the ICO and is it worth paying the money to do it?
Thankyou and happy valentines all
x:laughing:

Blue Boy
14-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi, are you a member of the NCMA? The reason I ask is that I am a member of the National Policy Forum and have had several discussions with the NCMA regarding this matter. The official answer is that all childminders who use digitaln cameras or keep details of children on computers do have to be registered with the ICO.
He had a meeting with Ofsted and raised this with them to point out that some of their Inspectors are advising CM's that they do not have to register.
If this is still happening I will get back to him to let him know.

GemSar
14-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Thankyou so much for your reply.
It wasnt so much that we was advised not to, more that it is clear that inspectors do not know that this is a requirement.
I will register with them as I would rather pay than get into trouble.
I am a member of the NCMA and its definately something that needs sorting to raise awareness for the inspectors.

:)

Blue Boy
14-02-2012, 08:31 PM
It is a pain that one hand does not seem to know what the other is doing (or meant to be doing:angry:)
I will contact NCMA again let them know what the inspector said. It is only by members letting NCMA know that there are problems that they can act on our behalf.

moogster1a
15-02-2012, 07:42 AM
please don't ask NCMA to flag it up with OFSTED. The fewer oFSTED inspectors that know about it the better! I for one have no intention of paying for this until I'm dragged kicking and screamng to the bank to get the money. Big waste of money that has absoloutely no bearing in the safeguarding of children

Bob
29-02-2012, 07:04 PM
please don't ask NCMA to flag it up with OFSTED. The fewer oFSTED inspectors that know about it the better! I for one have no intention of paying for this until I'm dragged kicking and screamng to the bank to get the money. Big waste of money that has absoloutely no bearing in the safeguarding of children

I couldn't agree more. We are paying the government £35 for a piece of paper. I've just had my Ofsted inspection and she didn't mention it. I decided that I would rather take a hit on the inspection than give the government £35 for a thinly disguised protection racket or a tax on digital cameras. My mindee's, or indeed their photo's, are not one jot better off if I register. :angry:

candy cat
29-02-2012, 07:24 PM
it is not just photos ...we all store personal details of children so you need to register.....don't agree with it,but it is a requirement so I pay it!:rolleyes:

Bob
29-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Well in my case it is just photo's because all the other personal information is written on paper and stored in a locked filing cabinet.

rickysmiths
29-02-2012, 09:20 PM
it is not just photos ...we all store personal details of children so you need to register.....don't agree with it,but it is a requirement so I pay it!:rolleyes:

No I don't have any personal details of mindees or their families on my computer. All my records are paper. I just don't feel it is necessary and frankly I don't trust computers or what would happen if my laptop was stolen? I back it up regularly but I would want anyone's personal info on it. I have only ever had one parent ask me to email daily information which I politely refused. I do have photos but they are not labelled.

I don't bank on line either and never will.

I take our address and details off any recycling and shred them and we have a dustbin incinerator at the end of the garden. I have done this for 8 years now.

On the thread about giving Ofsted our addresses I said That no where is my address attached to the fact that I am a childminder available online. I know a couple who know me tried and failed to find the information and that's the way it will stay.

candy cat
29-02-2012, 09:51 PM
we were told any info stored ie paper contracts, contact forms etc counts has personal information.....we all have names, addresses,date of births etc so that is why we have to register.......(not saying I agree.)

nipper
29-02-2012, 10:00 PM
During my inspection two weeks ago, I mentioned to the inspector that I was in the process of registering with the ICO but she just replied 'Oh that's got nothing to do with Ofsted!'

Bluebell
01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
As nipper says it's nothing to do with OFsted. Ofsted are only interested in the legal requirements regarding the EYFS and are inspecting you on that - they are not inspecting you on whether you pay your taxes, have a proper business banking account or any other part of the way you run your business. ICO is to do with the running of your business that is to do with data protection so doesn't fall under the EYFS.

That is why it is not inspected. If the inspector bought up that you kept all your files online and didn't feel you were safeguarding the information properly that might be a different matter but having a form saying yes I take this precautions and that precaution doesn't really prove that you do!
Rickysmiths obviously takes every precaution to protect the information of her children and doesn't need a piece of paper she paid for to demonstrate this!

I am registered with the ICO as I have digital photos and I was informed I needed to do it. I also keep a lot of information on my computer and e-mail the parents updates. However I agree it seems a pointless requirement and another money making scheme from the government.

I'd say it is clearly a legal requirement if you keep any form of digital information -including digital photos but the majority of childminders I know don't have it so I guess it will be at your own discretion.

The Juggler
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
we were told any info stored ie paper contracts, contact forms etc counts has personal information.....we all have names, addresses,date of births etc so that is why we have to register.......(not saying I agree.)

this is right. when I worked in an office when DP Act came in if you stored information in a file in any sort of order (i.e. a file with a persons name on it) paper records counted as much as any computer held records.:(

fluff1975
21-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I know this isn't a very recent thread but it's fascinating me all the same.

I just rang ICO because I wasn't sure if I should be registering or not (too much confusion and contradiction everywhere I look!). According to her, it's to do with digital information and not paperwork). If we take a photo on a film camera, get the film developed and use those pictures, then we don't need to register. If we take a photo on a digital camera, we do need to register. Even if the photograph never goes on our computer, it's about using digital technology to take the picture.

So I put it to her that in theory, it's okay to have cameras full of film containing inappropriate pictures that never get developed, but it's not okay to take a photo of a child playing in the sand pit, print it out via the pc, then delete it (without being registered). Her answer? A scary yes :eek:

I'm with Bob and moogster1a on this one!

sarahjane
21-03-2012, 02:35 PM
To be honest, I'm more than a little confused about how exactly paying £35 a year to recieve a piece of paper protects what is on my computer - how does it exactly work?

Bob
27-03-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm very surprised that you need to ask that SarahJane. It's quite obvious, if the bad man comes in and tries to steal all your data.....you roll the certificate into a sharp tube (get the children to help, but make sure you risk assess the activity) and stick it in his eye. !!!!

francinejayne
27-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm very surprised that you need to ask that SarahJane. It's quite obvious, if the bad man comes in and tries to steal all your data.....you roll the certificate into a sharp tube (get the children to help, but make sure you risk assess the activity) and stick it in his eye. !!!!

you actually made me LOL!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

sarahjane
27-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Ahhh it is all as clear as mud now :laughing::laughing: