PDA

View Full Version : Obs and Data Protection

bakingmama
25-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I received my copy of Who Minds on Friday. It states "if you keep data about other people on your computer (including the children you mind) observations in particular you have to notify the Information Commissioner's Office that you are a data controller for data protection purposes" The notification is £35 per year and you can do this online www.ico.gov.uk or call 01625 545740. This seems a bit far fetched to me but I don't really have room for reems of paper with obs etc on everywhere. Not sure what to do now, but thought I would bring it to your attention just incase anyone else was thinking of keeping obs etc on their computer.

Anne:(

miffy
25-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks Anne

I read that too yesterday.

From the training that other childminder's have had in my area we are not expected to keep reams of paperwork - it has been suggested that sticky notes could be used to record your obs and you can't write much on a sticky note can you :D

I won't be paying out £35 - I think we're going to be asked to pay out enough already with the change in registers etc

miffy xx

katickles
25-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't keep any info on my computer either, everythings written so i'll not be paying it.

Looks like we were all busy reading our magazines yesterday :laughing:

miffy
25-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't keep any info on my computer either, everythings written so i'll not be paying it.

Looks like we were all busy reading our magazines yesterday

:laughing:

Yep - the thing about keeping receipts for food purchases was in there too. I really liked the bit about how it's a legal requirement to do it but it's up to us how long we keep them for etc

miffy xx