PDA

View Full Version : providing spare clothes??

adele1985
14-02-2012, 11:33 AM
How many of you provide spare clothes for your mindees

I provide a few pairs of underpants for emergancies (all of my mindees are boys - had a little girl start 2 weeks ago)

One of my midees has just had an accident and brought no spare clothes with her all shes wearing at the moment is her top and a pair of spare underpants

Ive text mum telling her i dont have any spare socks or trousers

ill put her wet clothes in the wash but they wont be ready until after lunch at least

cupcake22
14-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I dont provide any spare clothes. My daughters are 20 & 22 so i dont have any of their stuff.Parents are told to put spare clothes in the childs bag & if they dont and there are any accidents they have to come & get them. They usually only do it once as being called home from work for that usually makes them remember in future.

cupcake22

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't have any clothes to provide mine are 17 and 19 now. I have enough stuff without providing the range of boys and girls clothes I would need for the age groups I have.

As above they leave me with spares or they are called to take the child home and if necessary the child is cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket until the parent gets to me. They only do it once!

messyplay
14-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Have a few spares but always insist that children a spare set even up to the age of four, they can leave them at mine and swap when they have grown out of them

Mouse
14-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I do have some spare clothes here and don't mind lending them to the family if it is a one-off accident. I do ask that parents send spare clothes and on the whole they're very good, but you can guarantee the one time they need a change of clothes is the one time they haven't got any in their bag :rolleyes:

What I do get fed up about is when a child needs changing regularly, but parents don't send anything, then never return the clothes I lend them :angry:

I used to mind a little girl who needed changing most days. I repetedly asked for spare clothes, but got none. I would have to put her in my daughter's clothes, but didn't ever get them back. Mum would then sometimes send the lo to me, wearing my daughter's clothes :eek: In the end I got so fed up I stopped sending clothes home. I went to the charity shop & bought some cheap bits & bobs, that I could put mindee in. Then, when it was home time, I took the clothes off her and sent her home in a nappy & coat! I only needed to do it a few times before mum got the message & provided me with a big pile of spare clothes!

Mollymop
14-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I keep spare clothes just in case. I have a few pairs of knickers and pants, a pair of joggers for a 3-4 year old girl, and a pair of jeans for a 4 year old boy and a few t-shirts for 4 year old.

I do not wash any clothes that get soiled.

I dry clothes that get wet in the rain, etc but that is it.

I ask all parents to bring spare clothes whether child is potty trained or not just incase as accidents always happen.

SOme parents are really good and bring a bag full with them everyday and some can't be bothered and no matter how much I ask, they bring for a week or so then don't bother (these parents are the ones I find never have many clothes for their children - children often coming in same clothes etc)

VeggieSausage
14-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Parents bring a bag every day with spares in there but I do have spares of everything just in case not in the bag or sometimes someone forgets the bag. Easier to have things then it doesn't stop you doing things I find and one of the problems I have with a lo is that they never have any warm clothes including gloves in the snow and a warm coat - so I make sure I have things. :)

little chickee
14-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't provide spare clothes.

I ask each parent to bring a bag each day containing spare clothes nappies etc and this goes home with them every day.

I don't think its that difficult for a parent to check the bag every night and make sure it contains all thats needed.

loocyloo
14-02-2012, 01:51 PM
i ask for spare clothes, i either keep them here, or they come & go each day.

the only spare things i have are hats & gloves, sunhats and slipper socks.

if i have schoolies i ask for spare socks!

if i need to phone parents to bring spare clothes, i do! ;)

The Juggler
14-02-2012, 01:54 PM
i don't have spare clothes, I'll always loan pants/socks which usually stay on but at present most of my parents are really good about supplies.

before I've sent a boy mindee home in my dd's pink skinny jeans :rolleyes:

LChurch
14-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't provide spair clothes although have had parents who normally send spare clothes in and the day they don't is when accidents happen!! I have had some end up in clothes far too big for them! My dd used to constantly be giving clothes to one of my mindees because they were too small for her and she decided that mindee could have them!! At least i didn't need to keep them!!!

ziggy
14-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Alll mine bring bag with spare clothes in but i also have few of my own that a friend gave me as it wouldnt be unusual to need more than one set in a day.

Angela234
14-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I have spare boots several sizes

Coats few sizes and waterproofs

Few hats ans gloves

Couple sweatshirts

Tshirts

Jog bottoms

Girls leggings

PANTS And socks

I havegrandchildren so colllect from them, boots from charity shops

I do still ask for spares in child's bags

singingcactus
14-02-2012, 05:56 PM
All my parents provide me with a set of 'garden clothes' and an extra outfit. They stay here in a chest of drawers. I also have parents provide me with a pair of wellies to leave here. I have an little assortment of wearable items here that I use if we go through spare outfit and garden clothes :). My parents have always been brilliant about mess, and extra clothes....apart from one but she just sucked it up mostly cos she knew mess was gonna happen here.

If I use the extra clothes then I retain whatever got messy, wash it, and that outfit becomes the extra clothes. The garden clothes are tatty old nearly grown out of clothes that will be left here permanently (and in time become my spare clothes)

Wendybird
14-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I issue each child with a cloth drawstring bag that I keep here - spare clothes, nappies, blankets, etc go there. They hang on high hooks in my entryway so they are out of the way. All my parents are pretty good. The issue I've got (like many others) is that one family sends their DD in unsuitable clothes and shoes - can't go to park as she's not dressed appropriately. I've decided I am going next week and will send her home in her beautiful, long, not warm enough jacket and open patent leather shoes covered in sand. I've got spare hats and gloves, but I don't put other kids in my kids clothes. I'd send them home in a nappy and coat.

sazzoo
15-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I keep a good range of spare clothes as I think that it says in the Ofsted regs that you have to have spare clothing. If the parents dont provide any I think its still our responsibility to have something to dress the children in if needed. I think that if the Inspector knocked on the door and found children wrapped in towels etc it wouldnt go down very well, even if I said the parents forgot to provide them. Perhaps Im wrong but thats the way I read it.

onceinabluemoon
15-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I've got a box of spare clothing in the airing cupboard. Just a load of bits I have picked up off ebay or charity shops. We do a lot of messy/wet play and I like to know the children can immerse themselves in it fully without having to worry whether mum has put in spare clothes as requested. I also have 4 complete sets of waterproof clothing and wellies in sizes 4 to 6 (including half sizes) because we go out to the nature reserve a lot and I don't want to risk wrecking parents clothing. (All my LOs are under two ATM hence small sizes only)

I used to get parents to bring in spare clothes and still do ask but I found I got so stressed when they didn't bother/forgot/weren't organised that spending a few pounds (tax deductible) and having that little box saves my sanity. :)

miffy
15-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I've got a box of spare clothing in the airing cupboard. :

That's where I keep mine too! :laughing:

I ask parents to put at least one full change of clothes in their child's bag - mostly they do.

Miffy xx

Helen Dempster
15-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I always ask for a spare pair of clothes, and I keep them in a drawstring bag hanging on the coat hook. If they use these spare clothes, I then remind parents to bring another set. I don't wash soiled clothes if I can help it, I just put them in a bag for the parents to take home with them.