PDA

View Full Version : I am trying my hardest but CMinding is not for me

Sissy
13-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry this is just a rant.
I had a dream to become a childminder and I fought for it, it was not easy to get registered specially seeing people around me working cash in hand and not having 0.1% of preocupations, responsabilities, profissionalism and hard work/paper work we have to put up with....(and I also have the feeling that parents are much more exigent with registered CMs than the other 'types'...anyway...I am really thinking about giving up and change my career and here are the reasons:

* I have a very naughty, hard work 4 year old and being a CM is not making our relationship any easier even though she loves have the mindees around and have no problems in sharing, but she takes advantage when I am busy working to be naughty and wind me up...sometimes after school she wants her own space and do her own thing which is difficult as mindees love her and won't leave her alone...how does people with more than 1 child manage, I must be a very crap mum or CM...I am always stressed now a days and specially from today as it is f***half term.

*I live in a small flat which is ok to work in when hubby is not at home, but when he is in (he works shifts) he locks himself in the bedroom until 6 when house is free...he is becoming unsuportive because of all the noise and lack of privacy plus my stress towards DD.

* I use my sitting room and DD's bedroom to work but I can see that as she gets older she will need her own space to relax after school and do homework whitout small children and baby's toys around....

* I am fed up of changing nappies

* I am fed up of pushing prams

* I am getting resentful to be constant cleaning and tyding up after mindees all the time, they are 1.5. I love them but sometimes I think to myself: I have been through this phase already with DD, why on earth Am I doing it again??

* I don't want to do potty training.

* I really don't think I will click with new mindees and families when these ones leave me.

I am thinking of becoming full time student from OU from september, Social Care, my aim is to work with orphans and homeless people, if I don't take the risk and do it now I don't know when I will ever gonna do it, I am turning 35 this year, maybe I am in crisis.

Not sure how finances will be if I become full tiem student though, DH's salary is not huge and we pay rent in London but I can't go on being unhappy like this.

Ranting is over, thanks for listening.:(

And I am not even from this country so my english isn't great, sorry the post is not very well written:blush:

Cammie Doodle
13-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Ah bless you. Nothing else to add, just didn't want you to be left without a reply

PixiePetal
13-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you may have already come to a decision. If you are really fed up with nappies/prams/mess etc maybe a change would be good for you. CM is not for everyone , it is a hard job and takes time to settle into routines.

I have been minding 17 years and was a nanny before, it is the job for me :thumbsup: but it hasn't always been easy. My children have grown up with mindees here since they were born and things change over the years as they have grown.

Communication is the key - with all family members including husbands :rolleyes:

Sit down together and talk it through. If you want to continue you will need to work out a way that suits all. CM is a job but you need it to be enjoyable too to be able to give your best

Hope you come to a decision you are happy with :)

ziggy
14-02-2012, 07:51 AM
It certainly isnt for everybody. A good friend of mine did it for 2 yrs then admitted she hated it. I think it must be very hard in your circumstances with little space, hubby sometimes at home and a young child of your own.

I dont think childminding is the sort of job you can do unless you really enjoy it, not fair on yourself, your child or more importantly the mindees.

Mollymop
14-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear you are having second thoughts about your childminding career but if this is how you feel you are right to give up. You have to put your family first. Hope you get on well on your OU course x

JCrakers
14-02-2012, 08:30 AM
:(Hope you are feeling better soon. It does sound like you need to do something different. If you are not happy then it's never going to work. In order to be a childminder you have to really want to .
Long hours, pay not so good, difficulties with own children, house a mess the list goes on.
But for me it works because I enjoy doing it. I'm waiting for 8 children today because of half term ranging from 2-8yrs. It's gonna be hard work but I love the hustle and bustle. By the end of the day I'm knackered but know I've done a good days work where I can also be with my own children and not have to worry about childcare. I don't mind the nappies and snotty noses but also what helps is I am lucky to have a big house which enables me to use my conservatory. I think if I didn't have this I wouldn't enjoy it so much as it really would take over my house.

Finding something you love will make you happier. It really is not for everyone. Hope you make a decision soon :D

FussyElmo
14-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Sending hugs hon. But if you are not happy in your work that work will never make you happy.

Sometimes its about taking a chance and going for it - your OU course sounds fab :thumbsup:

Suebb1
14-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear of your struggle. Your family and you must come first. Hope all turns out well for you x

Trouble
14-02-2012, 09:41 AM
sounds like you have made your mind up :thumbsup:

mandy moo
14-02-2012, 01:35 PM
You have to do whats best for you and yours.

I dont want nappies, buggies, loads of plastic all over the place either
So I dont..

All my minded children are now after schoolers, 5yrs old +.

And I work in Pre School until 3pm during the day.
picking up the after schoolers next door at 3.15, this works for me

LOOPYLISA
14-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Its not for everyone and it wasnt for me :(

Like you i would be going back 14 years with nappies/prams etc and i love my home to be ours not full of toys, chin up hun x

The Juggler
14-02-2012, 01:52 PM
i think you probably feel better now you've kind of reached the point where you know it's not for you hon.

time to take action now and decide what you want to do instead - take it as a positive in what you ARE going to do rather than failing at CM'ing - you haven't. It just doesn't work for everyone :)

zippy
14-02-2012, 05:58 PM
This can be very lonely job, especially if you don't have support. If your not enjoying it at least 80% of the time then you're probably making the right decision. You'll always regret the things you don't do more than the things you do do. Go for your dream, if it doesn't work out deal with that later, you have to take risks in life you only get to do it once. X

VeggieSausage
14-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I would say that having done lots of other jobs and worked around my children when they were little, it is not easy doing other things either. Why not cut back on the minding and/or have a complete re-look at your setting and practise and try and make changes to see if things can improve. You are your own boss and if you make some other childminder friends things can be good :)

Goatgirl
14-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi :),
Sorry you're so stressed out and feeling unsupported by your husband at the moment :group hug:.

I'm wondering if you could go ahead with your OU qualification and maybe just drop to part time childminding. Your daughter is going to be at full time school soon, so you may be able to work it around her. Either finish early, work a limited number of hours, a limited number of days, do just before and after schoolies and charge by 'session'. It may be that there's no market for it, but you never know and it might be a good idea to keep your registration open while you explore other avenues for part time earning..

Its too easy to abandon our dreams for the sake of a reliable income. But if you're not happy with childminding its brilliant that you're being brave enough to contemplate a whole life change. Whatever you decide, I hope you're happy doing it :)

good luck :thumbsup:
wendy :)