PDA

View Full Version : how many hols do you take?

mr man
12-02-2012, 10:55 PM
this year im taking 6 weeks off ( all unpaid) i usually take 5 but we are going to florida for xmas.

i told all parents a year advance, and just had a message from parent aksing why?

am i right to feel a little bad by this ? or maybe she was having a bad day.

im not changing it, as if i would anyway. and to be hoenst i was considering keeping it to 6 weeks, so that i get the whole of xmas with my own children.
not sure it will go down well next year :rolleyes:

Mouse
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I usually take 4 weeks plus occasional days. But I would take more if I needed to, or had a special holiday planned.

I give plenty of notice of holidays and offer to help ind alternative care if needed.

stardust
12-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Currently booked 1 week, The maximum I would take is 4 weeks. I am going to try and make sure I take 4 weeks even if its just a few days at home or a couple of long weekends.
I take the week off between xmas and new year but I do think 6 weeks is quite a lot (for me personally because even at nursery and nannying I never took full holiday, Just took the week in June and maybe a week in October) xxx
But if that's what you want to do do it x some people go away for 8 weeks to different countries so why not x

rickysmiths
12-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Its none of the parents business why you are taking holiday. Do you quiz them over their holiday? It never ceases to surprise me the way some parents seem to begrudge some cms holiday. We are all entitled to have holiday. My goodness do we earn it and need it.

No, no, no don't feel bad. All parents have a min of 25 days if they are employed because that is the min an employer has to allow an employee. so between two parents they have 10 weeks to cover your holiday and with a years notice what is their problem? Why dont they go away the same time as you? That is what most of my parents do.

rickysmiths
12-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Currently booked 1 week, The maximum I would take is 4 weeks. I am going to try and make sure I take 4 weeks even if its just a few days at home or a couple of long weekends.
I take the week off between xmas and new year but I do think 6 weeks is quite a lot (for me personally because even at nursery and nannying I never took full holiday, Just took the week in June and maybe a week in October) xxx
But if that's what you want to do do it x some people go away for 8 weeks to different countries so why not x

I don't think 6 weeks is a lot. 4 weeks is too little. All the parents have a min of 25 days now so why should we take any less than that. We work hard and need a break even if you don't go away. I spend the grater part of my 5 weeks at home and love it. i certainly could not work as effectively without it.

stardust
13-02-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't think 6 weeks is a lot. 4 weeks is too little. All the parents have a min of 25 days now so why should we take any less than that. We work hard and need a break even if you don't go away. I spend the grater part of my 5 weeks at home and love it. i certainly could not work as effectively without it.

Its just habit I guess, before I moved out of my mum's work was my peace, I hated going home. I would even work extra hours. Then I got into a habit of working and then being told I had to take my holiday in a 6 week time period so I would take holiday but put down to cover and would be paid double.
Because it was habit I just continue doing it. Last 2 years wasn't so bad because I loved my Job and had Friday's off but now I have Ryan I will probably make the most of it.
In my employment rights and responsibilities from 2011 it says 'you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)
part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)' xx

Cammie Doodle
13-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I take 3- 4 weeks holiday a year, but Im closed over Christmas and New Year, as for years I was not required and it has now become the normal (although feleing guillty last year I offered to work and ended up having 1 mindee :angry:so it will be back to being closed unless it suits me )

Toothfairy
13-02-2012, 07:30 AM
I take 3 weeks off unpaid, two weeks in the summer and one week at xmas but at the moment i dont work the school holidays. This is the parents choice not mine, as they are all teachers.

Velleity
13-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I've only booked a week off so far this year.

Bluebell
13-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I tell parents that I take up to 4 weeks holiday per year plus any training days as is necessary.

This year I have given them all the dates in advance - I am taking 5 days over a long weekend just before Easter (this affects 2 parents on 1 day) I am taking 4 days for exams and I am taking Christmas week off.

Last year I had no holiday at all because I work 2 other jobs and when I had time off from them it was in the holidays so I could take on extra childminding!!

Definitely need a holiday this year!!

Next year when I have established myself a bit better nad have more regular parents I will hopefully take a week off in the summer holidays too but try and co-ordinate it with parents maybe (or is that just being niave!?)

Have a fab time in Florida Mr Man and its not exactly as if you are charging them or not giving them notice is it!?

flowerpots
13-02-2012, 07:39 AM
For the past couple of years ive only taken 2 weeks off but this year we are getting married (abroad) so it will be about 4 wks, I wouldnt take more than 4 weeks. :)

Mollymop
13-02-2012, 07:54 AM
I usually take 4 weeks off a year and the odd day or 2 here and there when I need it.

This year though I am only having off June half term, 1st week of summer hols and 1 week over xmas plus the odd days here and there if I need them - plus bank hols.

It is none of the parent's business when you take time off and for why, especially if you have given them lots of notice, like you have.

Are you taking the 6 weeks off all in one go?

x

mr man
13-02-2012, 07:55 AM
thanks for you replies,

honeslty i would prefere to wrok only term time, this is jsut so i can give my own children more time. they dotn complain i think its jsut me.

im not going to worruy about it now, cauwe your right - parents have 10 weeks off so surely they can work it out.

rickysmiths
13-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I used to work term time only when my two were small and my dh is a teacher. I was lucky enough to get a lecturer as a first client who only wanted term time. I suppose it depends on what work is in offer in your area as well but there are a lot of cms who do only work term time.

amanda1309
13-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I take 6 weeks. I tell parents at initial meeting and I'm full:)

I am taking 2 weeks at Easter
1 week in summer Hols
1 week october hols
2 weeks Xmas.

Don't feel bad enjoy your holidays x

cara1235
13-02-2012, 08:52 AM
WELL, This year i am taking 35 days holiday, and that does not include my 2 week shut down at xmas:blush:, Every year i give parents a list of my holidays in January so they have plenty of notice, to be honest i dont care what they think, my family deserve me to themselves at some point , I must admit i dont usually take this many but this year we are having an extra week due to a family celebration:thumbsup:
This is the whole point of being self employed YOU make the decisions:clapping:
Dont feel guilty;)
xx

Bluebell
13-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Once children start pre-school/school the holidays parents are expected to cover are far more than 6 weeks!
2 weeks at Christmas, 2 at Easter, 3 half term weeks plus 6 weeks at summer plus about 3 days of inset days - that's about 13 weeks a year! Not all these parents rely on childminders or out of school clubs they cover it between family and friends and their own holidays but I can imagine if you don't have family you can rely on or you are a single parent family covering any holiday must be a complete nightmare! I've had my share of times when I've been stuck and I have a hubby, mil and mum all willing to help out plus a childminder I have used myself and STILL had days when I have been stuck! I am planning to give up my part-time job this Easter 1 - I am loving childminding and 2 - there is no way I can cover Easter, summer, and my son is starting school in September so will be doing half days for some weeks!
I think if you are clearly setting out your holidays as you do there is no reason for you to feel bad but I can understand parents getting stressed - it might not be aimed at you!
Is there any fellow childminders you know that might be able to cover any gaps so if parents are stuck they can contact them? It might go a long way to helping them out!

ChocolateChip
13-02-2012, 09:09 AM
My policy says that I will take approx. 4 weeks but that I reserve the right to change this. We have family in Australia so you never know, I might need to take three weeks off in one go to visit them one day, and as long as plenty of notice is given I don't think parents should have a problem with that, or something special like Florida.
At the end of the day that is part of the reason we are our own bosses, isn't it? :D

kellib
13-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Right now I have booked 2 weeks in October and we'll be going away for roughly 10 days in May too hopefully.

Right now I don't work school holidays but that is because I have TTO mindees.

lyla's mum
13-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I have 2 weeks booked off so far this year. my contracts say i will take 4 weeks, but in the last 2 years i have took a total of.....2 days :o i feel guilty booking them off but will make a conscious effort this year to have a break!

littlecheeks
13-02-2012, 11:18 AM
message her back saying 'BECAUSE I CAN'!!!

lol i'm sure it wont go down well though! cheek of some of them

Twinkles
13-02-2012, 12:10 PM
As others have said. It's one of the very few perks of being self employed.

I take 4-5 weeks including Christmas. But may take the odd Fri and Mon for a long weekend.

The Juggler
13-02-2012, 01:22 PM
i take 3 weeks, however....

i only have one family in the school holidays and they only come 2 or 3 days per week so I have a few days off every half term also.

I take 2 weeks in summer hols and 1 week at xmas on top of that.

Suebb1
13-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I normally try and take six weeks off- with plenty of notice for all the parents.
One year I took 5 weeks off in one go as special anniversary and we were going to Australia, they were all very understanding!!! x

lozzy23
13-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I always take the 3 half terms off and two weeks off in August and parents know this at initial visit. I want to spend time with my children (all teenagers) without the LO's.

This year I am taking off the week of Christmas as well, as I was not really used, just 1 child on one day and another child on another day. The two families that did use me the parents were off anyway, the other two families did not use me and paid me. So I think it will be a win/win situation, they do not have to pay me and I can put everything away and relax with my own family:clapping::thumbsup:

I think it is very personal how many weeks you have has holiday. I am full and work over 50 hours a week, as well as doing paperwork and I NEED the 5 weeks I take and my family needs the time without the LO's.

jane5
13-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I currently take 4 weeks off but I am thinking off taking 5 weeks, same as the parents.

I have 2 weeks booked in June and a week in October but I feel like I need more :o

Diana67
13-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I am a newbie still waiting for 1st mindie but have decided on 5wks plus I wont be working Bank Holidays . I already have 2wks booked in May and 1wk Oct so might not even use all 5 wks but at least Im covered.:)

christine e
13-02-2012, 04:27 PM
NOT ENOUGH!

I have two weeks off in the summer and sometimes that is it but this year I have booked off a week at Easter.

Unfortunately no work no pay so it does make it difficult but note to self to try and take more hols
Cx

Playmate
13-02-2012, 05:57 PM
We take 5 weeks, 4 at half pay and 1 unpaid over Christmas.
Parents are informed at the begining of the year so that can book at the same time as us if they want to. Many don't because we go away in the school holidays. This year we are taking 3 weeks in the summer, because we are going away Monday - Monday and I didn't want to have to go back to work on a Tuesday or Wednesday :laughing:
None of mine quibble :D

janminder
13-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I take 2 weeks off in the 6 week summer hols and these are the 2 weeks of my main parent who needs me the rest so its paid holiday. My others are term time only unpaid so I dont have to be available apart from one family who generally use Grandparents etc in hols which suits me on retainer unless used. It normally works that I get inbetween xmas and new year because none of mine seem to work it or again use family and the same this week I am off because not needed but settling in a new one tomorrow and interview with another tomorrow.

tas
13-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I take 4 - 5 weeks off all unpaid and give notice in January of the years holidays, I also offer to find holiday cover for those who need it. But I still have some parents complain! I don't care and ignore them as choosing when and how long I want to holiday is one of the perks of being self employed :)

mr man
13-02-2012, 11:39 PM
i set my hols out, 1 wk easter / 2 weeks end of summer hols / 1 week oct half term and 1 wk at xmas.
( 2 weeks at xmas now thou)
i dont work bank hols either and no charge.

these staye the same and follow the school hols, as that sthe only itme i take off to be with my own children.

i like it this way and they have at least a years notice of all of them too.

im my own boss - must keep telling myself. :clapping:

hollyvilla
14-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I am taking 1 week off at the beginning of the school summer holidays, a week in September and the week between christmas and new year. I have also booked several odd days, however, these do not affect all the same families. I try and let my childrens parents know at the beginning of the year most of the time I am going to book off. I think as childminders we really need these breaks due to the full on nature of the job, no lunch hours for us.

NicoleW
14-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't have any holidays, apart from when parents take theirs i.e at Christmas.

watgem
14-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I take 5 non-paid weeks off a year, I used to take much less but was exhausted because I could go 8 months without a break. Parents are given virtually a years notice of my holidays, some do get funny but they are informed of my holidays before they sign the contract so they do have a choice of whether to send their children to me or not.

PerkyEars
14-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I can't afford to take a holiday, wish I could. Next year perhaps, but previously I've not made enough to go anywhere, and this year I'm just hitting the debts.

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I can't afford to take a holiday, wish I could. Next year perhaps, but previously I've not made enough to go anywhere, and this year I'm just hitting the debts.

That doesn't stop you taking time out at home. You need a break to be able to work effectively don't over do it.