PDA

View Full Version : landlines?

nicola1981
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi,
Just wondered if a landline was essential for childminder's? We rarely use ours so were thinking of not having one and using our mobiles instead.

candlequeen
12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure but worth bearing in mind that if there was a serious disaster/emergency the mobile networks can get jammed with calls or shut down for use by emergency services. On 7/7 we were unable to contact friends and family by mobile for several hours.

sarah707
12-02-2012, 05:03 PM
It used to be a requirement of the national standards that you have a landline for fire safety and emergency.

However that requirement did not follow over into the Eyfs and is not in the revised Eyfs that will be out later this year (although this is subject to change.)

Hth :D

rickysmiths
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I would always keep one because when we had the bombings in London the first thing that happened was all the mobile networks were closed down and unavailable for several hours.

How would you contact the emergency services if that happened in your area?

mushpea
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I have a landline but only really use it for the internet and for the companys that use 0845 numbers as these are expensive on mobiles. all my adverts have just my mobile and email on them and I only give out my mobile and email numbers and still get lots of enquireys.

Monkey26
12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I have a landline but only really use it for the internet and for the companys that use 0845 numbers as these are expensive on mobiles. all my adverts have just my mobile and email on them and I only give out my mobile and email numbers and still get lots of enquireys.

Exactly the same :) Ofsted only have my mobile number as well and have never questioned it x