PDA

View Full Version : Converting Garage to playroom

singlewiththree
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm changing my garage into a playroom and am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone who has done it let me know?

I've got in touch with planning and they are happy as the plans for the original garage when it was build with a room above didn't say anything about keeping a car in it so I can go ahead.

I've contacted building regulations who want me to complete a building notice and give £450.

I'm planning on putting a window in place of the garage door, and also putting a door from my porch into the playroom.

I can't afford a garage conversion company but my dad is a retired electrician and good with wood so planning on doing most of it for me, my mindees dad is a plasterer and his brother is a builder so going to do the front wall and I know a window company for the window and door.

Is there any advice from those that have done it?

Nick22
12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
No advice, but I am also looking to convert our integral garage, just looking at costs and plans atm but need to get saving first.

fiona
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
hi ya, i done this 3 years ago, best thing i ever done, would look at some kind of heating in there, they are naturally cold rooms, we insulted walls and then had under floor heating added, look at perment storage, will see if i can add pics!! good luck xx

mama2three
13-02-2012, 08:52 AM
we converted our integral garage - but needed extra bedroom space rather than a playroom. from an added value point of view see if you can squeeze in a little ensuite. It will be really valuable for the kids too.
It will be smaller than you'd imagine when finished ,mainly because you need to remember to add lots of insulation , garages are usually single skinned so you need to build a second wall inside with insulation inbetween - it will reduce the size of the room. Once its painted and floored it will look bigger again though!