PDA

View Full Version : Giving Notice

Louise85
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if some of the more 'established' childminder's may be able to help me - I need to terminate one of my contracts, it was pretty much my first one when I started in July last year...3 syblings - they only come to me after school 2 days a week, but an opportunity for a full time placement has come up and financially I can't turn it down. Am I being harsh? I do not get on well personally with the girls, although have not mentioned this to the mom - I've been thinking of terminating the contract in any case for a while - this just gives me an excuse. Is it ok to terminate a contract for this reason or is this a big no-no??

Thanks,
Sherri

mama2three
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
This question always gets a mixed reaction on the forum. there are those who would not give notice to a child to get a more financially rewarding contract - unfair on the existing child and potentially damaging to your professional reputation.
However , I would put my family first - If I truly needed to find extra income then I would certainly consider taking on the new mindees. I have a duty of care to existing mindees - but my own children will always be my priority!

miffy
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Always a difficult one but your own family must come first.

I would word the notice letter carefully, mum might be very upset if she realised the reasons you're giving notice.

Miffy xx

Carol M
11-02-2012, 04:14 PM
If you have a contract and agreed notice period to end the contract then there is no reason why you can not end this contract regardless of your reasons. I look at it that parents have exactly the same choice and often parents would not consider the effect on you in choosing to end the contract.
Every situation is different but if it's not working for you for whatever reason I would terminate the contract professionally.
Keep your letter of notice short and do not get drawn into discussing the real reasons with parents.
Good luck
Carol xx

The Juggler
11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
why would the schoolies contract interfere with a full time one hon? Personally, I would take on the new one as well and then deal with the sibling issues separately (i.e. speak to mum and if things don't improve give notice).

If you give mum notice then take on a new child this might not do your reputation any good.

:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
why would the schoolies contract interfere with a full time one hon? Personally, I would take on the new one as well and then deal with the sibling issues separately (i.e. speak to mum and if things don't improve give notice).

If you give mum notice then take on a new child this might not do your reputation any good.

:thumbsup:

I agree with this if you have space

I can understand your reluctance to give notice but why did you take them on in the first place and is there another reason why you want to terminate that you haven't mentioned?

Personally I don't terminate just because "something better has come along". When I commit to a family there would have to be a pretty good reason not to continue but that is me and continuity of care is at the forefront of my business.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Louise85
11-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all your comments - had a good think about all of them :-) Firstly, I can't have both, as I have limited space in my car...so that would have been the option while I tried to work things out. But, as my husband pointed out I decided I was going to give notice (due to the problems I have with the girls - they are very needy and I cannot give them the attention they need - mom is aware of this) before I was contacted about the full time placement - so I should look at the 2 different things separately. I have given notice to the mom - she didn't seem too shocked - this was the first termination that I have had to do - not nice, but at least its over and I think the mom's ok with it. I hope I've made the right decision - only time will tell:(