PDA

View Full Version : why do ofsted inspectors have to look at attendance registers?

jadavi
10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Why is this of such interest to them?

rosebud
10-02-2012, 09:18 PM
They've never looked at mine but I imagine its because its a legal requirement that childrens arrival and departure times are accurately recorded so they need to check we're actually doing it.

Sunflowers
10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Would have thought it was to check you're not over minding?

uf353432
10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
when I had my unannounced visit for my accreditation she was checking to make sure I was working withing my numbers and that it corresponded with my variation.

Roseolivia
11-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I had my inspection 2wks ago and my i use Morton Michel registers and she said inspectors prefer these as they can see how many children you have each day. The above poster are right in that it's to make sure you're within your numbers.

Penny1959
11-02-2012, 06:46 AM
My inspector wanted to see to know I was recording the attendance time to the minute

And yes the can use to check that not overminding - not tht ever would apply to any of us - I wonder if those that do overmind actually fill in attendance times or have any records of the extra children - just wondering

Penny :)

Mouse
11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I know of two cms who have been picked up on over minding by the entries in their register. One had misunderstood her numbers and the other had the wrong numbers on her certificate. Despite having queried it several times with ofsted, she was told the numbers were correct so had that number of children. When she was inspected, she was told she was overminding :rolleyes:

But like Penny said, I don't think anyone who was deliberately over their numbers would actually record it!

miffy
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I think they check firstly because it's a legal requirement and secondly to check you are within your numbers, especially if you have a variation in place.

I've been asked for my attendance sheets at every inspection.

Miffy xx

karensmart4
11-02-2012, 04:10 PM
When I was inspected last year the inspector went through my register with a fine tooth comb....... she went back months and just helped herself to it.

When my co-minder was inspected, her inspector said, "would you mind if I looked at your register", when D said, "yes of course" the inspector said, "we aren't allowed just to look, we have to have your permission, oh good you do put down exact times".

I didn't know they had to ask for permission or I would have added it to the list of complaints that I made about her :thumbsup:

miffy
11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
When I was inspected last year the inspector went through my register with a fine tooth comb....... she went back months and just helped herself to it.

When my co-minder was inspected, her inspector said, "would you mind if I looked at your register", when D said, "yes of course" the inspector said, "we aren't allowed just to look, we have to have your permission, oh good you do put down exact times".

I didn't know they had to ask for permission or I would have added it to the list of complaints that I made about her :thumbsup:

I wonder why they have to ask for permission - it's a legal requirement that you record the times the children attend so you would think they had to check it.

Miffy xx

karensmart4
11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I wonder why they have to ask for permission - it's a legal requirement that you record the times the children attend so you would think they had to check it.

Miffy xx

I thought that too, that's why I didn't complain at the way my inspector behaved with mine (she found nothing wrong btw).

I would have expected them to check it, but be polite about it.

miffy
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
My inspector also checked back almost a year. I've no idea why but it's kept her busy for a bit! :laughing: She was nice about it too - your sounds like a bit of a jobsworth :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

VINASOL
11-02-2012, 06:10 PM
to be honest, if you are minding over your numbers, you are not likely to get parents to sign/or do a register are you?

however saying that, as part of my practice I do get each parent to sign the register each day...this way i can 'prove' when they are late/early or have taken on extra hours for them. We know what parents can be like...

rickysmiths
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
to be honest, if you are minding over your numbers, you are not likely to get parents to sign/or do a register are you?

however saying that, as part of my practice I do get each parent to sign the register each day...this way i can 'prove' when they are late/early or have taken on extra hours for them. We know what parents can be like...

They are good signing every day. mine sign once a week.

I don't see that Ofsted have to ask for permission because they regulate and inspect us and it is a legal requirement for us to have a record of attendance. I wonder what the inspector would have do if the minder had said no you can't see it?

Ripeberry
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM

I also write it in their daily diary so the parents have their own record as well :thumbsup: