PDA

View Full Version : Tips

Mrs M
24-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi,
I recently had an inspection and I received outstanding grades for three areas and a good for the fourth. I thought I'd share some tips with you to help you through your inspections.
Firstly I had all the relevant paperwork ready for the inspector to see. I had so much paperwork that she didn't need to ask me many questions, therefore I was able to continue looking after the children. For example, I had copies of menus, risk assessments, fire evacuation plan, welcome pack for parents including all my policies, permission forms, observations (using both Birth to Three and EYFS), accident book which included permission for me to administer medication for my mindee, complaints file (this included no complaints but the forms on which to log them). The inspector was able to tell I had an understanding of the National Standards by reading my policies - at the bottom of each policy I have written which standard/s it relates to. With regards to Child Protection, I have a policy so she didn't need to ask me any questions on it. All my certificates, welcome posters and complaints procedure are in my hallway along with my Visitor Book. I asked her to show me her ID badge, sign in and take her shoes off before entering the play room! I offered her a drink when I had time to do so but told her she couldn't drink hot drinks in the play room (I have posters stating that there are to be no hot drinks around the children).
I made jelly and sat the children in their high chairs so they could feel the texture, temperature, see the colour, make it wobble and then they ate it! I made pastry so we could use pastry cutters. We went in the garden and blew bubbles, played with cornflakes in the sand table (hate sand!) and all these ideas were from this amazing site.
That's about all I think. Hope this helps x :)

angeldelight
24-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Some great ideas there Emma

Thanks for sharing them

Angel xxx

emler
24-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks Emma :thumbsup:

Emler x

Spangles
24-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you Emma - I can see why you did so well!

Alibali
24-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Some great tips there, thanks.

Ali x

katickles
24-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I've just had my inspection - but think what you have written will be great for those awaiting theirs.

Sounds like you had everything covered - so well done you. You must have been so proud with yourself. Well done :thumbsup:

miffy
24-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the ideas

Well done on your inspection grades

miffy xx

sarah707
24-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Great tips there, thanks Emma! :D

Saz
28-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Fantastic tips thank you :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

caza
28-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks I will remember your tips for future reference :D

tomthumb
29-05-2008, 07:47 AM
thanks a lot for sharing. I am due an inspection so I'd better get to work and put some of those great ideas into practice!!

Elodie X

tammys-tots
25-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi, i know this might sound daft, but how come you didnt get overall outstanding when you do all that?

Mrs M
01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I know, it's upsetting but if you don't gain an outstanding in ALL the areas, then you get down graded. So I got outstanding in four but a good in one due to my error so I can't be outstanding if they have to give me an action. Never mind. It's great experience and I'm pleased with all that I do and so are the parents.

devoncm
01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the tips emma, i should be getting a call soon-i thought i was meant to couple weeks ago,maybe they forgot- i will get on top of things soon and get everything ready,will be keeping what you said in mind too, thanks

babyandchild
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you, I'll certainly bear your tips in mind next time I'm inspected

debbiefranc
02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
hi
just registered in march and was wondering when you have your first inspection...i thought it would be in 2 years!!!!!!!

sarah707
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
hi
just registered in march and was wondering when you have your first inspection...i thought it would be in 2 years!!!!!!!

Hello Debbie and welcome to the forum!

It tends to be about 6 months from registration to first inspection ...

You can read more in the 'Ofsted Information' section of the forum.

Don't forget if you haven't already to say hello to everyone! :D

ChocolateChip
23-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Well done Emma, and great tips- thanks for those! :jump for joy: