PDA

View Full Version : quick ofsted question re first visit

jadavi
10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi is it true they dont look at contracts? If so can I have sibs on the sane one? I dont want to waste one for no good reason!!

Also is it true they only look at the paperwork for the children of that day?
That doesn't really make sense to me so I think I mustve got that wrong!

cheers!
ja

Twinkle-Toes
10-02-2012, 08:49 AM
No they don't look at contracts. If your contract allows for more than 1 name and their various hours then stick them both on!

I believe they only look at the paperwork for the children present on the day :thumbsup: They did with me.

sarah707
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Inspectors do not normally look at paperwork from children who are no longer with you....

BUT... I've been helping a childminder recently who was picked up on not informing Ofsted about a significant incident on paperwork the inspector spotted from years ago.

And I mean years ago - before the Eyfs came in, it was dated when we were under the National Standards and the inspector spotted it when she was looking through a medication book.

So do not get lulled into a false sense of security.

Oh and with the contracts - all children are unique so imo should have their own paperwork. Check you are insured if you use 1 contract for 2 children even from the same family.

Hth :D

Penny1959
10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
They don't normally look at contracts - although could if they needed to - for example if thought you had too many children or over lapping hours

They do usually only look at paperwork in relation to children on the day - but could ask to look at others - this can sometimes be to your advantage as a LJ can show activities that you can do on day (for example have one baby on day of inspection but have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old on different day)

Penny :)

rickysmiths
10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
No Ofsted have no right to see Contracts they are confidential between you and the family and have financial information on. I took all of mine out of the children's files on the day of my inspection.

They have no right to see any financial information at all, so no accounts, invoices etc.

I have my accident/incident/medication folder but it only has the records of the children I am caring for now. All children who have left me have their info put in their folder with contracts etc and it is archived in the loft. I would challenge a comment about something before a previous inspection and if the inspector wanted to go routing in my attic I would show her the loft ladder!

They can look at your attendance register, I keep use the NCMA one and one of the advantages of it is that you enter the child's name in the front with their address, doctor and emergency contacts. They are entered on a page according to age group and an inspector can see at an instant when a child has joined me and when they have left. But that only runs from April for a year, i usually keep the previous years one at hand until I have done my accounts and then it goes in the box in the loft.

On my inspection day last Sept I only had the paperwork of the children with me that day available. however I had a Digital photo frame on displaying a range of activities a wider age range of children had done. I also have two multi frames with a range of photos past and present again showing the wide range of activities and outings we do. I also have a large photo album which starts with pictures of my very first mindee 17yrs ago to the present day. So loads of evidence without needs extra folders.

Oh and I always do a Contract for each child even siblings.

Velleity
10-02-2012, 01:06 PM
My Ofsted inspector looked at the Learning Journals for all of my children, not just the ones that were with me on the day. She also wanted to know how I was supporting one boy who speaks English as an additional language when I have him, and he was not there on the day either.