PDA

View Full Version : NEARLY THERE!!! Advice please :)

stargazer1
09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I finally have my pre-registration inspection on Monday. Really hope it goes smoothly, don't know what you expect :/ I've put fireguard up, safety filmed glass, stairgates, socket covers on, cupboard and drawer clips on etc. I have two children of my own so hoping my house is relatively safe anyway.

I have a waiting list so hoping that all being well I can be up and running fairly quickly. Do you use accountants or do you do your own accounts? And do you invoice weekly or monthly? I feel a bit anxious about invoicing monthly to start off with in case I get mucked around, as I will have no income that first month. But if that is the norm, I don't want to cause parents any bother.

Any tips/advice would be gratefully accepted. Very excited and can't wait to get going!!!:)

mrs robbie williams
09-02-2012, 12:33 PM
sounds like you will be absolutely fine - with regards to invoicing i now ask for payment in advance, if you do this you wont have that period with no money plus you know you will always be paid :thumbsup: please let us know how it all goes good luck xx

Tealady
09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
I do my own accounts as it's just a matter of plugging figures in on a spreadsheet and there is guidence as to what you can and can't claim for. Our LA ran a course with a bloke from the Tax office to give us guidence which was a great help.

As to billing I bill weekly in arrears, but then I have few children on my books with regular hours so it's not a huge exercise. Also I take four weeks deposit up front and hold it in a seperate account. I have in my contract that if they are late in payment by 14 days I will with withhold care and if not paid within another 3 then the contract is terminated with immediate effect.and the deposit forfeited in leui of outstanding fees and notice.

Goatgirl
09-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi :),
I charge all fees in advance, no exceptions. Lots of childminders also charge a deposit (4weeks or a month, often) to be held to the end of the contract for added security. I don't do that as none of my parents would be able to afford it and other childminders in the area don't so I'd lose business if I insisted. I do take 4 weeks or a month's fees as a deposit but that's to hold the place and is refundable against the first month's fees if they take up the place and continue beyond the initial settling in period.
I think it would be worth you asking around to find out what other childminders do in your area :).

Regarding the Ofsted pre reg visit, they are really there to make sure you're a suitable person to work with children, have a suitably clean house etc know what to do to keep the children safe and meet their needs and ultimately they can help you if there's anything you're not sure of. They don't need everything 'ready to go', just to know how you'll make sure it is by the time your registration comes through :thumbsup:

Good luck,
Wendy :)