View Full Version : Pre-reg premises query...

09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm investigating becoming a childminder and whether it could be a career to suit me and my family. I've read a LOT of threads on this forum and attended a pre-registration briefing by NCMA and my local council.
I'm feeling quite excited about it, and already thinking of things I can do once I am registered...
However, I'm not sure my home is ideal, either from an Ofsted point of view or prospective parents, and thought I'd ask your opinions before I set my heart on this and start the registration process (and spending money on it!)

I live in a 2 bed ground floor flat with a small yard as our only outside space. I think it's big enough for me to be able to have at least one child in addition to my own two but not sure parents would be too impressed.
I'd need to use my bedroom as a sleeping area for any mindee. I'm assuming this is ok.
My kitchen is at the opposite end of the corridor to the lounge so if I was preparing lunch for example I can't see children in the lounge, though I can hear them. Is this ok? What about if the children are playing outside and I needed to pop back inside. At the minute I leave my son (2 1/2yrs) playing while I'm in the kitchen but keep popping back to check he's ok, and take my 4 1/2 month old daughter with me...

I just want to check that there are ways I can deal with these issues which would keep Ofsted and parents happy.

09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi There and welcome to the forum.

I started my cm career in a first floor 3 bed flat with no garden at first and worked there very successfully for 10 years.

First of all if you rent the flat you must have the written permission of your Landlord to childmind and they must have the written permission of the Freeholders.

If you are buying your flat then you must get the written permission of the Freeholders to childmind.

I would not go any further until you have this permission because without it you would not be covered by any Public Liability Insurance for Childminding.

Ofsted will ask to see this permission.

If you get that then there should be no problems using a flat. my kitchen was at the opposite end of the flat from the living room but it was a big kitchen and I used to take the children with me.

As for the yard I would say if you can't see the children then no you can't leave them alone in it. If you can see them say from the kitchen window and you pop in to get them drinks then OK as long as they can't get out of the yard or anyone else get in, so any gate locked.

I have always used my bedroom and my children's bedrooms for sleeping mindees. I have always had my whole flat and now my whole house registered. Just because all rooms are registered does not mean you have to use them but if they are registered it gives you the flexibility to use them if you choose.

Good luck and please feel free to pm me if you have any questions regarding the permissions. I was a Director on the Freehold Company of my flats and was instrumental in pushing the purchase of the Freeholds by the residents when the Freeholds were put on the market for sale (13 blocks and 321 flats) so I have a bit of background in the area.

10-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Thanks for your reply.
I hadn't thought about needing permission of the freeholders. There are only 5 flats and we all own a share of the freehold so hopefully that won't be an issue. I'll check it out first thing...
Unfortunately I can't see the garden from the kitchen. It's accessed from the lounge so will just have to be super organised and bring everything from the kitchen before we go out I guess! But as long as there are ways around it...

Rachael's stars
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
iv never thought of getting permission either...would permission still be needed for a 3bedroom rented house?

05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi, i have just seen this thread about getting written permission from the person you rent from to be a childminder on the premisis. Is this the case for council houses? does anybody know? thank you :)