PDA

View Full Version : Mum gets killed :(

NicoleW
09-02-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4117602/Brave-mum-of-five-killed-by-pet-Alsatian.html

Absolutely awful, those poor kids :(

Also The Sun really need to look up breed names, the name of Alsatian was dropped uptine years ago due to the second world war. Theya re German Shepherds.

Really gets on my wick when people still say they are Alsatians

Mollymop
09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
How terrible for the whole family. Poor kids having to witness that, it's so sad :(

Regarding dog breeds, I am no expert but I thought that short haired were called Alsations and long haired were German Shepards - thought they were 2 different types.

NicoleW
09-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Nope they are just one breed, the name German Shepherd was dropped in the second world war because it had the name ''German'' in it - which is when they took on the name Alsatian but after the war ended the name was reverted back to German Shepherd.

jelly15
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
The Sun are well known for not reserching correct names, such as calling babysitters childminders :angry:. However, after reading that article I don't think it matters if that dog is reported by the correct name or the dropped name, most people know they are one and the same, the point of the article is what the dog did.

stargazer1
09-02-2012, 08:24 AM
So sad :( My parents breed and show German Shepherds, they currently have a country champion. Whilst they are for the most part they are very affectionate, playful dogs, they are also "guard dogs" and their instinct is to protect. The article doesn't state the situations surrounding the dogs attack, I guess the only person who could confirm that would be the poor lady that passed away. My children love my mum's dogs but a couple of them are very protective and my children are not allowed any contact with them, they are kept in the kennels when we are there and I certainly would never leave my children alone for a split second with any of them. It saddens me that certain breeds get bad press. I cant help sometimes thinking that when a parent decides to get a dog as a family pet, whether some research into the breed, its temperament and basically some common sense would help sad situations like these. As I say, I love my mums Shepherds but there is no way we would ever have one as a pet. I have a loveable little Cavalier King Charles that suits my family perfectly :)

kindredspirits
09-02-2012, 09:28 AM
poor kids :(
i personally think anyone who has a large dog like that as a family pet when the family has small children needs their head testing - you can't be watching 24/7 and kids are unpredicatable and careless by nature.
i was bitten by an alsation as a girl and it ****** hurt.

NicoleW
09-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I really dislike comments like that.

I have in total about 10 different children that come into the house ranging from 6 weeks old to 12 years old. I have a GSD and a Boxer, I do NOT need my head testing.

stargazer1
09-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I've juse re-read the article and I have to say the photo is laughable!!! No wonder Shepherds get such bad press when they are pictured like that all fangs and drool. They aren't all like that, far from it. Many a judge would have lost an arm while checking Oscar's teeth in shows if that were the case! :)

lulubelle
09-02-2012, 10:07 AM
i personally think anyone who has a large dog like that as a family pet when the family has small children needs their head testing - you can't be watching 24/7 and kids are unpredicatable and careless by nature.

i think that comment was a bit out of order too, will clearly upset some people! All dogs can be dangerous but as others have said before it depends how they are brought up etc. i trust my dog more than my 3 yr old most of the time but i still will not leave them in the same room unatteneded, bob always goes in the hall behind stairgate if i am not in the room (bob is the dog by the way!)

kindredspirits
09-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I really dislike comments like that.

I have in total about 10 different children that come into the house ranging from 6 weeks old to 12 years old. I have a GSD and a Boxer, I do NOT need my head testing.

no offense meant but when you posted the link what did you expect?? If 1 in a million 'nice' GSD's attack a child how are you supposed to know you haven't got the 1?? I don't personally think its worth taking the risk with a childs life.

kindredspirits
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok just to clarify once more - I really really don't mean to cause offense to anyone, different strokes for different folks.
But I still stand by my views - if 'Bob' goes behind a stairgate whilst you're upstairs and your 3 year old pokes him in the eye through the stairgate then I am willing to bet bob is big enough to jump the stairgate if he really wanted to.

catminder
09-02-2012, 10:19 AM
no offense meant but when you posted the link what did you expect?? If 1 in a million 'nice' GSD's attack a child how are you supposed to know you haven't got the 1?? I don't personally think its worth taking the risk with a childs life.

Without wishing to cause offence to anyone, I personally agree with kindredspirits.
I love dogs but there are certain breeds that have the potential to kill - I would never in a million years want to get one of these as I see it as too great a risk.

candy cat
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Everyone's allowed to share their opinions and some people are going to take offence. I can see both sides....I think any breed are unpredictable my neighbours have a German shepherd and did have staffy until I heard it attack their 2 year old boy! I was waiting for it to happen...but they taught it to fight...what did they expect!!!!.luckily it wasn't bad,but they got rid in the end. We were out sledging at the weekend and a springer spaniel bit my hubbie but on glove...We had to quickly pick dd up as head level with dog....think the sledge scared it....all owner did was swear at it and hit it:(

LOOPYLISA
09-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Ok just to clarify once more - I really really don't mean to cause offense to anyone, different strokes for different folks.
But I still stand by my views - if 'Bob' goes behind a stairgate whilst you're upstairs and your 3 year old pokes him in the eye through the stairgate then I am willing to bet bob is big enough to jump the stairgate if he really wanted to.

Totally agree Anna x :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM
My brother has a big x staffie, and my neice (5) goes round most weekends she pulls him sits on him, i hate it and its awful to say but one day.....:panic:

I do like dogs but would never trust one, my mum has the smallest dog ever, shes a cow, barks, bites, sorry can you tell i have 4 cats :laughing:

I would never trust any animal not even my guinea pig ;)

Mollymop
09-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Nope they are just one breed, the name German Shepherd was dropped in the second world war because it had the name ''German'' in it - which is when they took on the name Alsatian but after the war ended the name was reverted back to German Shepherd.

Wow you learn something new everyday! It is true!:thumbsup:

Mollymop
09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Besides lets get back on the subject of the story instead of arguing over whether dogs are dangerous, we all know dogs are dangerous, full stop! (and yes I am a dog owner)

Let's end the debate and think instead about the poor children in the story who have lost their mother and stop arguing over personal choices of pets!!!:(

NicoleW
09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2012/02/09/nuneaton-mother-49-found-dead-at-home-92746-30296707/2/

“Rumours that she may have been killed by the family dog are unfounded.”

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2012/02/09/nuneaton-mother-49-found-dead-at-home-92746-30296707/2/#ixzz1ltNYPG53

Cammie Doodle
09-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Besides lets get back on the subject of the story instead of arguing over whether dogs are dangerous, we all know dogs are dangerous, full stop! (and yes I am a dog owner)

Let's end the debate and think instead about the poor children in the story who have lost their mother and stop arguing over personal choices of pets!!!:(

Well said !!!!!!!!!!!!

RubySlippers
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I am a dog lover but do have my concerns over large dogs! I have a very small dog myself and she is as soft as a brush but I still would not trust her 100%! What concerns me about owning large dogs is that if a small animal (cats/dogs/guinea pigs :) ) was to attack a child or adult it is more possible to defend against serious harm. But a larger animals have more strength and are harder to fight back against (I am short and weak so I would struggle to put up a good fight)! This does not mean that they should not be owned as pets or smaller dogs but ideally owners should consider these consequences and owners should be responsible for controlling/training/supervising their animals as well as knowing how to handle their own dogs correctly!

My condolences to the family!

X

mumto3
09-02-2012, 02:04 PM
That story is so tragic and how horrible for them kiddies to see that, as if its not bad enough to lose ur mum but to watch it happen aswell is awful :panic: i hope that dog was put down straight away

I personally would never get a dog of any breed, im allergic anyway but even if i wasnt i just wouldnt do it, i think dogs can be lovely and caring and attentive but i also believe every dog has a switch that can easily make them turn whether provoked or not and i think where children are concerned its not worth the risk but everyone has their own opinions so each to their own

my parents had a dog when i was a toddler and i went up to him apparently when he was finishing eating and he looked at me and showed his teeth and growled, my mum and dad gave the dog away straight away even though the dog was rightfully protecting his food they wouldnt risk it and my mum loved that dog

rickysmiths
09-02-2012, 05:00 PM
That story is so tragic and how horrible for them kiddies to see that, as if its not bad enough to lose ur mum but to watch it happen aswell is awful :panic: i hope that dog was put down straight away

I personally would never get a dog of any breed, im allergic anyway but even if i wasnt i just wouldnt do it, i think dogs can be lovely and caring and attentive but i also believe every dog has a switch that can easily make them turn whether provoked or not and i think where children are concerned its not worth the risk but everyone has their own opinions so each to their own

my parents had a dog when i was a toddler and i went up to him apparently when he was finishing eating and he looked at me and showed his teeth and growled, my mum and dad gave the dog away straight away even though the dog was rightfully protecting his food they wouldnt risk it and my mum loved that dog

The story had been unfounded and the Sun have removed it from their site :rolleyes:

I didn't read the Sun story but it would seem the poor lady was ill the night before she was found and no dogs have been instrumental in her death.

onceinabluemoon
09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
So it was just the sun doing their thing of printing a sensational story before they got their facts right, ho hum, who's surprised about that then?

sarahjane
09-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry but the Sun once again have got this wrong. The accusation against the German Shepherd are unfounded,

http://onlinenews.warwickshire.police.uk/wpnews_pressrelease/rss/14034?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2012/02/09/nuneaton-mother-49-found-dead-at-home-92746-30296707/

Bear23
09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Thats terrible, why report it without all the facts? probably a lovely dog

Bushpig
09-02-2012, 06:48 PM

What a stupid and generalised comment to make. Do small dogs not bite???

I was attacked by FIVE dogs as a child - 3 small, 2 big. I still love dogs.

Bushpig
09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Staffies are known as 'nursing' dogs anyhow... a breed excellent around kids. I really dislike the misinformation spouted by some people.

TheBTeam
10-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Unbelievable that newspapers still haven't learnt not to rush in and report sensationalised rubbish.

All dogs have the potential to turn nasty in some situations, if they are in pain, provoked etc, some will turn some will not. I believe that this is no more so related to the size of the dog, than particularly the breed, a terrier is one of the worst i have known, other than the bigger the dog the more damage can be done purely because of size ratios.

I dont believe you should ever fully trust a dog (or child) and you should always be aware of potential triggers and not assume that you know always how a dog will react in a situation, better safe than sorry.

For years i refused to get a dog believing that they didnt work in a childminding setting, but i changed my mind almost 18 months ago and now have two beautiful English springers, and it has worked well in my setting during that time I have taken on care for a few children two of which started at 8 months old, with no instances of scratches or nips even from them as a puppy, it has taken careful management and supervision, but I am lucky that they are often two adults here.

I am also aware that you can not trust children or adults!