PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

boageymonster
09-02-2012, 07:13 AM
How many holidays do you all have?? I have been working 1 yr and in total took 2 full wks one in aug one dec plus 2 sepeperates days throughout the yr, I don't charge for my time off. This yr hoped for my wk at Xmas, wk over June bank hol plus one in aug then 2 days for my Sis wedding.. Feeling guilty about asking parents for all that though :-s

WibbleWobble
09-02-2012, 07:43 AM
i dont charge for my hols.....i am taking 26 days this year not including the bhs. I gave this years hols last sept so they have had more than ample time to sort themselves out.

you need holiday.....cming is not being sat on your fat :censored: doing nowt. it is physically and mentally and sometimes emotionally draining. a fresh cmer makes happy mindees.

also your family are putting up alot with all these strangers coming in and disrupting their world.

parents get time off so why dont you?

mandy xxxxxxxx

kellib
09-02-2012, 08:03 AM
You are telling the parents not asking ;)

PixiePetal
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I always have 2 weeks at Easter, in between Christmas and New Year and sometimes a week in summer as well as odd days to make long weekends away a couple of times a year and maybe single odd days if I need it for occasions

I am the Boss, up to me :)

wendywu
09-02-2012, 08:13 AM
I dont charge for my holidays and i always take 2 weeks in august, then one week at easter, then one week at oct half term or Christmas.

Then i keep a week to tag onto Bank Holidays so i can have long weekends away. :D

sarahjane
09-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I always take a week between Christmas and New Year, a week at Easter, a week in the summer holidays and if I can afford it a week in October half term, I also take the odd day here and there if I need to.

I give my parents as much notice as possible so they can link their holidays in with mine.

I don't feel guilty, they get holiday and we need to as well,

ziggy
09-02-2012, 08:26 AM
I usually take 2 weeks off in the summer, (one of my parents is a teacher), I have 2wks at christmas and few days at feb half term and october half term to go see my family in england. Always gives few months notice and i dont charge. None of my families have ever complained

rickysmiths
09-02-2012, 08:55 AM
How many holidays do you all have?? I have been working 1 yr and in total took 2 full wks one in aug one dec plus 2 sepeperates days throughout the yr, I don't charge for my time off. This yr hoped for my wk at Xmas, wk over June bank hol plus one in aug then 2 days for my Sis wedding.. Feeling guilty about asking parents for all that though :-s

Firstly do not feel guilty about taking holiday. All your parents have holiday and don't fee guilty about taking it.

Secondly you do a hard job physically and mentally, you need your holiday you have earned it.

Thirdly you don't apologise or ask parents if you can take holiday you TELL them you are and when.

Lecture over!!

I take 25 days a year plus Bank Holidays and I do charge full fee for my holiday and am unusual in doing so. I work on the basis that my parents are told now when my holidays are for the year and it is their choice if they go away the same time as me or not and they are paid and or receive tax credits 52 weeks a year.

In my experience the parents do go at the same time as me or they use family to cover so they don't need different childcare. Parents should have no problems covering holiday especially if there are two of them because they each have holiday and most of my parents will have some time off together but then usually each of them will take a week off to have time with their child/children on their own.

When I give them my holiday dates in theory i give the 2 weeks to come to me if they have a problem with any of the dates to discuss. In 17 years I have once had a parent if I could shift my 2 weeks in the summer by a week. I was able to do that for them. I don't normally book holiday away until the last min. I have never booked a holiday months in advance.

Only once 4 years ago did I have to say I am taking those two weeks in Aug because I was taking children to a Sea Scout Jamboree in Slovakia and it was the week it was!

All I would say is have a think about when you want your holiday and give the parents as much notice as possible.

Be strong :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
09-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree with everyone who says not to feel guilty. You are entitled to and NEED holiday time, just as they do. You are running a business and it is up to you how much time you want to take.

I currently take 6 weeks a year since i've been working full time (50 ish hours minding time PLUS paperwork, cleaning up seting up organising etc) and as the 2 families I do holidays for are both being awkward I'm also thinking of taking all school holidays off :rolleyes:

Just be assertive. Think about what you want to do and tell them. Do not ask. Its your decision not theirs :thumbsup:.

You are being very fair to them in giving plenty of notice and not charging for your time off. :)

good luck, let us know what happens :)

wendy

samb
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I also agree that there is no need to feel guilty for taking holiday. Just give as much notice as possible and especially if you do not charge for your holiday, then why would they begrudge your holiday?

Does it not state in your contracts/fees policy etc about holidays? If not then I would recommend you updating it so that they know from before day 1 what you do about holidays. Then there is even less reason to be annoyed.

I say i take 4 weeks off plus I am shut bank holidays - in reality a lot of mine over lap anyway, which means I don't feel bad if I want to shut for an odd day. I say I give at least 4 weeks notice for my holiday - in reality I have emailed all of my families dates for the whole of this year.

My hols this year - 1 week leading up to good friday, 2 separate weeks in aug (1 from bank holiday mon), and the week between xmas and new yr. I am closing early on June 7th as I am going to see Westlife :clapping:

boageymonster
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone I'm way to soft for this job!!! Very tempted to go term time only but know I would lose my 2 full timers would leave. Gonna talk to hubby tonight see what he says although if up to him I'd either charge for hold or not take any!!!!! Men lol