PDA

View Full Version : Starting points

jadavi
09-02-2012, 06:37 AM
With all this talk of Ofsted being keen on clear starting points I'd like to be clear on this.
The ' all about me' booklet is part of it? As much detail from the parent as possible and this goes in LJ? Strange that we don't ask parents about dev stuff too but I understand that they can exaggerate and may be biased... But still!
Then after how long do you write a record of where they are developmentally? Do you observe three sessions say? Or longer? Do you write a few general sentences under each heading? As in not super specific using phrasing from our developmental stages table. My recent training has suggested parents do not want that academic language. Is your starting points document about an a4 page in length - a paragraph under each of the six areas? Do you bullet point?
Do you send home this starting points doc or just keep it with your planning?

How soon after do you do your first summative assessment?

Sorry to be so picky but people seem to be banging on a lot about this . Once I've got the formula clear it shd be easy to maintain.

Cheers
Ja

sarah707
09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
The all about me form can contain info about the child's academic starting points you just need to word it carefully -

What are your child's favourite toys and games at home?

Where do you go at the weekend with your child?

Who are your child's favourite people? How do they react to strangers?

Things like that tell you a lot about their PSED development, community involvement, play requirements etc which you need to know before they start with you.

Then over the first few weeks (no formula - as long as it takes) build up a picture against the Development Matters section of the Eyfs closest to the child's age and stage.

Yes share it with parents - do they agree? Is it fair? Are the children doing things at home you haven't seen yet? Can they fill in any blanks?

Put it in the LJ and use it as a basis for the future.

Hth :D