PDA

View Full Version : how much do you spend on food e week

foxy lady
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
i was just looking at our food bill per week it is about £100 per week. just wondered how it compares with other peoples.

SYLVIA
08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Mines about the same.Some times have to do a top up shop but that's usually to get fresh veg and fruit

NI MINDER
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
We try to keep under the £100 too - 2 adults, 3 kids and the mindees!

betty boop
08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
mines 120-150 pw 2 adults 3 kids and mindees

The Juggler
08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
mine is £120-£140 week but I do lunches for my children for school and feed all the mindees their daily meals and snacks (not dinner). Then there is usually a few bottles of wine thrown in also :blush:

Happy Bunny
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Mines £130 a week, my family is 5 kids lol, plus I feed 2 mindees.

LOOPYLISA
08-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Me hubby and dd £180 in asda sunday!

EmmaReed84
09-02-2012, 06:11 AM
DH does our food shop. He will spend about £100 in the butchers and get some really good deals, then will spend about £60 in Iceland. That is for the month then weekly we just get things like bread, ham cheese etc so spend about £20 a week. That feeds a family of 4, plus 2 mindees 5 days a week and 1 mindee two days a week

singingcactus
09-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Depends. If my hubby comes, then it can cost up to £120 a week. There are basically 4 adults (my teens are almost 16 and 6 foot tall), and one child, and the minded kids I proved cooked lunches and snacks for.
If my hubby does not come, it costs around £40-£50 a week. That's how much money waste!! Plus when my hubby does come we also eat out at subway or macdonalds! Don't know why I insist on taking him!

sonia ann
09-02-2012, 07:43 AM
getting worried now...................4 adults in our house and mindees have snacks only and our shopping bill is always between £150-£180 p/w.............but that does include all cleaning stuff and toiletries..and then there could be another £50 top up shop in the week for fresh fruit and veg, so usually £200 p/w :panic::panic:

Toothfairy
09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teenagers who eat adult portions and a child), our food bill is around £100 per week.
This includes snacks and drinks for Mindee's 5 days a week and a packed lunch for my own children 5 days a week.

HTH :thumbsup:

boxtree7
09-02-2012, 07:57 AM
try and keep it at 60-100 per week but if I could purchase without looking I would probably spend 160. that's 2 adults 2 children and 8 minded children. We also have take away once a week £15.00.

Sunflowers
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Max 40 a week, 2 adults, 1 toddler 2 mindees. That includes nappies and toiletrees and cleaning stuff.

jumping j
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
It depends how much beer and wine we buy!!!!:laughing::blush:
Usually around £60 a week for 2 adults, breakfast, lunch and snacks for 3 mindees 4 times a week

sonia ann
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Max 40 a week, 2 adults, 1 toddler 2 mindees. That includes nappies and toiletrees and cleaning stuff.

I'm really impressed £40 wouldn't cover my fruit and veg for the week :panic:

PixiePetal
09-02-2012, 08:16 AM
getting worried now...................4 adults in our house and mindees have snacks only and our shopping bill is always between £150-£180 p/w.............but that does include all cleaning stuff and toiletries..and then there could be another £50 top up shop in the week for fresh fruit and veg, so usually £200 p/w :panic::panic:

Don't worry you are not the only one :rolleyes:

About £80-£100 internet Ocado, £50 Iceland and extra fruit/veg/bread through the week. Milk is delivered by milkman about £30/month.Then there's sometimes Wilkos :o

That's 2 adults, 2 teens who eat like adults, 2 mindees 2 days a week with all their meals here and a dog.

I enjoy baking and ingredients don't come cheap :o

I spend what we can afford - if money is tight, I can cut back

Greengrass74
09-02-2012, 08:21 AM
:panic::panic::panic: We are spending anything between £180 and £250 a week, :blush: mind you we are feeding 9 mindees most nights plus 2 teenage boys who are like eating machines, they never stop.

We do use the cash and carry which keeps prices down

Twinkle-Toes
09-02-2012, 09:07 AM
We have a £75 p/w budget.

This is to include 2 adults, 2 children and various mindees!

Now I feel cheap lol

Sunflowers
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
you feel cheap twinkle toes.....
our bill last week was only going to be £30! but I had one of those fiver off vouchers for Tescos valid when you spend £40... So stocked up on nappies (the £5 huggies) and got £5 of treats for free (nices cheeses and some biscuits for me and DH)

as we're on a debt management plan I've got rather good at being frugal, our weekly shop will always include a net of small oranges, bananas, grapes, pears/apples then carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, parsnips etc

I've got rather canny at knowing which product works out cheapest, avoid bulk unless it is a really good saving, always look for the £1 4pint milk (we use 3 4 pinters a week) from our £80 weekly food/ toiletries budget I'll have £40 in my wallet for the rest of the week, usually £10-20 gets spent on incidentals, maybe some crafts stuff, sometimes a take away and almost every week I have £20 to stick in our fun pot... end of jan the fun pot had £100 in it :) although if you look in my cupboards/ fridge today you could possiby wonder what we're living on til Sat but I know I have the ingredients for cottage pie & veg tonight and chicken curry tomorrow night :)

whoops waffled there.... but I do get friends ask to come shopping with me to see how I manage it lol

PixiePetal
09-02-2012, 09:43 AM
you feel cheap twinkle toes.....
our bill last week was only going to be £30! but I had one of those fiver off vouchers for Tescos valid when you spend £40... So stocked up on nappies (the £5 huggies) and got £5 of treats for free (nices cheeses and some biscuits for me and DH)

as we're on a debt management plan I've got rather good at being frugal, our weekly shop will always include a net of small oranges, bananas, grapes, pears/apples then carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, parsnips etc

I've got rather canny at knowing which product works out cheapest, avoid bulk unless it is a really good saving, always look for the £1 4pint milk (we use 3 4 pinters a week) from our £80 weekly food/ toiletries budget I'll have £40 in my wallet for the rest of the week, usually £10-20 gets spent on incidentals, maybe some crafts stuff, sometimes a take away and almost every week I have £20 to stick in our fun pot... end of jan the fun pot had £100 in it :) although if you look in my cupboards/ fridge today you could possiby wonder what we're living on til Sat but I know I have the ingredients for cottage pie & veg tonight and chicken curry tomorrow night :)

whoops waffled there.... but I do get friends ask to come shopping with me to see how I manage it lol

I still can't see how you keep it that low with veg etc - but good on you for doing it and getting finances in order - all credit to you :thumbsup:

I think you should post weekly bargains for us :D

I do tend to keep a stocked freezer/fridge/larder as living in the middle of no where - especially in winter - I don't want to be left with nothing if weather is bad.

loocyloo
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
my shopping bill with my online asda order for next week is £45 including delivery. i find i spend less doing it online, as i only buy what i want/need, and am not tempted by special offers!

thats 2 adults, 2 children and assorted mindees ( but all tiddlies so don't eat much ) BUT half term, so my children will be around eating more!

i'll probably pop to the grocers during the week and get a bit more veg, milk & eggs. i also have qyuite alot in my freezer and i try to keep that topped up with meat/mince/fish/frozen veg and frozen meals i've already made. plus pizza!

this week i haven't had to get any wash powder/toilet roll/cleaning stuff etc. last week DH needed razor blades ... £17 !!! ( but i did buy 18! it was a good deal! ) DH moans when he comes shopping with me as i scrutinise every item to make sure i am getting the best deal. but i've always done that! i do find that usually it is around £60-70 in a supermarket plus £10 top up during the week.

Playmate
09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
100 - 150 here for 2 adults and 2 teens plus 6 mindees main meals. All my mindees are under 5 so portions are not that big, but I find the fruit and veg bill the biggest. Much to my daughters disgust I don't by crisps or buiscuits or any other rubbish, if they want those things it has to come out of their pocket money :D

Donkey
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I spend about £80-£100 a week

thats for 2 adults, dd who is 4 and then varying between 2 and 5 mindees for food

I feed mindees everything, breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea

I find meat is expensive :( but I batch cook as bought a massive freezer which is helping :)

purchased 20kg potatoes for £5 and we had a massive mash session, did mash and sweede for rainbow mash and there is 8 bags of it in the freezer :)

kindredspirits
09-02-2012, 10:01 AM
well up until a few weeks ago we were spending at least £150 pw on our shopping bill (including nappies and DS's pullups don't come cheap!)
However having made a concious effort to cut back our shopping bill is now averaging £60-80 pw just by not wasting food - we are still having our snacks, a cappuccino every day etc and we are now buying nappies for a newborn as well as DS. breastfeeding saves us at least £40pw as well!! :thumbsup:

Sunflowers
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I still can't see how you keep it that low with veg etc - but good on you for doing it and getting finances in order - all credit to you :thumbsup:

I think you should post weekly bargains for us :D

Welll.....
large net of small citrus (clementines to us mortals) 46p usually bout 10-12 in a net
kilo of bananas 68p
bag of value pears 73p
punnet of value graapes £1.23
thats a weeks worth of fruit for us

I dont tend to do bargains, the big reductions are normally on brand names and I rarely buy anything branded (bar nescafe original, I'm fussy on that one) usually find own brand just as good and usually still cheaper even with the brand on offer.

Ohh and I shop with a calculator in my hand

PerkyEars
09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm also trying to keep it down to deal with debt, but it depends how much energy I've got for batch cooking, trawling the shops for bargains, using up things in the storecupboard etc. Not much lately with colds etc. :(

I tend to alternate between getting away with about £40 in Iceland, and making it stretch, with putting my feet up and doing an Ocado shop for about £80 every two or three weeks. I could quite easily spend more if I got the stuff people wanted every week. Add about £20 for top up shops, cleaning products from pound shop, stuff from the chemist, the odd cafe meal/pizza. If I'm organised I get meat from the butchers which is much better value than the supermarket. Some of the local asian shops are good value for certain things too.

I try to stick to a £70/week budget, but it's getting tough.

We're 2 adults, 1 fussy child, 3 small mindees, 1 after schoolie, (all part time), and we cook for friends at least once a week, usually something in the slow cooker.

samb
09-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I budget for £80 pw for 2 adults, 2 children and equivalent of mindees - 1x breakfast, 10 lunches, 7 dinners and 24 snacks a week. My budget is for all household expenses - washing powder, loo roll etc and would include the delivery fee for online shopping. My mindees are under 5 and no one eats much meat which does help. I don't provide nappies or infant milk and I only have 1 child of my own who wears nappies and that is just at night - so 7 a week so not a big cost to me.

I do buy as much value products as possible or deals where I can freeze some. I also freeze baby size portions so I don't have to worry about what to give my baby mindee.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I spend between £130 and £150 per week but I feed a lot. 3 adults and approx 8 after schoolies a day and lunch for 4 each day

mumof3
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM
there is 2 adults and 3 children n our house, i normally spend bout £140 a week, where are you shopping to get it so cheap?

LOOPYLISA
09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Me hubby and dd £180 in asda sunday!

Should of said this isnt every week, usually around £130 ish :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
09-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I spend about £100 a week, for a family of 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 child and 3 lo's every day and 2 after schoolies - we are a veggie family so only buy meat for mindees - I have just done a tesco order and spent £150 but that should last 2 weeks ....so expensive!:(

Sunflowers
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
there is 2 adults and 3 children n our house, i normally spend bout £140 a week, where are you shopping to get it so cheap?

Tesco. Don;t bother shopping around myself as the other main supermarkets add a fiver to the fuel bill so generally ofset and saving.

Starfish007
09-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I spend about £50 in supermarket (prob a third of it on fruit and veg) and £15 at farm shop per week. I only really get what is on my list, all meals are planned out for each day. Find that eggs, chicken and meat is so much nicer from farmshop and is same price or cheaper. I tend to alternate where I shop each week so I can make most of the offers at each store. I feed 2 adults, 1 child and 3 mindees. I also batch cook where I can x

amirose
09-02-2012, 12:00 PM
In my family theres just me - and then nine mindees (I do lunches and dinners and theres around 5-7 dinners each night)
My food bill is about £85 a week.

Christi
09-02-2012, 12:41 PM
About £45 per week at the moment which has to include everything! That feeds two adults, three children and any mindees.

JCrakers
09-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Roughly £120-£150 a week. Thats 2 adults, 1 teen and 1 9yr old as well as 15 mindees (9 have sandwiches,snacks,fruits,yogs) 6 EY who have lunches, tea etc. I bet I spend about £40 on fruit,veg,bread and milk

Ive tried to cut down but never manage it...but with 15 mindees I am within budget

snufflepuff
09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
About £50 per week- for me, OH, DS and mindees (just snacks and lunches, no evening meals.) That includes everything, not just food. My Mum works in morrisons so we have a 10% discount card which really helps.

sonia ann
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Welll.....
large net of small citrus (clementines to us mortals) 46p usually bout 10-12 in a net
kilo of bananas 68p
bag of value pears 73p
punnet of value graapes £1.23
thats a weeks worth of fruit for us

I dont tend to do bargains, the big reductions are normally on brand names and I rarely buy anything branded (bar nescafe original, I'm fussy on that one) usually find own brand just as good and usually still cheaper even with the brand on offer.

Ohh and I shop with a calculator in my hand

we would get through that in a day ...................

pillows
09-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi I am the same as Sonia I can't seem to spend less than £180 normally £200 including my meat from local butcher and my fish from local fish deli and even then i sometimes picking up the odd bits throughout wk . that's for 4 adults (16 &13 yr old) but eat adult size portions. and I provide all meals for C/M children
I am always looking at ways of getting total price down everything I COOK IS DONE FROM SCRATCH . well done to the ones who manage it!! I am jealous :blush:

twise
09-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Over £350 per week ...£250 asda delivery and then top up shopping of £100-£150..there are 3 adults and two teenagers plus during the week 6-8 kids a day..!!!

Mollymop
09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I try to spend around £70 but sometimes it is more but I try not to spend over £100 per week (me, hubs and 2 school age kids). I don't provide food for mindees only biscuits and milk/juices etc.

We shop at Tesco but I do pick up lots of bargins at places like Poundshop etc.

If I don't write a list (and go online on tesco.com and check prices, add it all up) before I go I can end up spending over £130!

I refuse to shop on line and pay almost £5 for delivery when I could spend it on something else in store!

therealbear
12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
:panic::panic::panic: We are spending anything between £180 and £250 a week, :blush: mind you we are feeding 9 mindees most nights plus 2 teenage boys who are like eating machines, they never stop.

We do use the cash and carry which keeps prices down

lol you must be the size of house if you eat that much, i reccommend a course on budget control lol

primula
12-02-2012, 01:59 PM
this thread has made me wonder how much i do actually spend on food etc!! i do make a list of dinners for the week, i dont but loads of cleaning stuff or expensive washing powders/softeners etc. 2 adults + 2 big kids! and little mindess that dont eat much at all! but too many pets! I am now going to see how much i do spend!! i hate food shopping bores me to death, so try and do it online most of the time. Does anyone else think sainsburys is really expensive and the quality of fresh fruit and veg is rubbish??

Velleity
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I spend about 250 pounds a week on food but do tend to prefer buying in M&S and Waitrose and spend a small fortune on fruit, esp. various berries!

mr man
12-02-2012, 02:44 PM
this thread is very interesting, i thought i was over spending :panic:

three adults, two children and 11 mindees .

40 - 50 @ asda
20- 30 @ aldi

around £20 a week ( each time we call into the local co-op, picking up fresh bread, fruits and reduced things)

milkman is usually £7 a week

some weeks are cheaper becasue weve not used all, but my gosh i thought i was over spending. :eek:

i find mindees and my own two leave food, so i reduced the amount i was cooking, and preparing.

i doo keep and eye for reduced things too , freeze them.

miss mopple
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
2 adult and 2 kids here and I probably average about £180 a week :eek: That does include a box of wine for the weekend :thumbsup:

Its scary how much food costs now- I've just been to Sainsburys and got stuff for a roast chicken tea, fruit and veg and a few other bits and spent £50 and thats just for a couple of days. The apples alone that I buy have gone up 30p a bag since I last bought them and all those increasing pennies soon add up.

So glad I stopped providing food for mindees :)

Greengrass74
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
lol you must be the size of house if you eat that much, i reccommend a course on budget control lol

Thar's a rude comment

therealbear
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Thar's a rude comment

U reckon ??

Twinkles
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
We spend at least £200 per week on groceries. That doesn't include eating out etc.

There are 5 adults living here, up to 6 lo's for breakfast, lunch and tea and up to another 5-6 after school all of whom have a cooked tea.

I spend a lot on nice fruit and veg , berries and such are very expensive.

Suebb1
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Something I need to keep an eye on -and write it all down as hubby does all food shopping!!! However we do have an allotment so we save alot on veg.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I have shown these posts to DH and now I don't think we do so bad. Last week I fed 14 mindees everyday so that was 14 pieces of fruit for starters.

All adds up doesn't it? Now I do a menu for the week and buy only what I need unless there is really good bulk buy bargains - Branston Baked Beans are the best at the most at .25p each when you buy 4 for a £1

flowerpots
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I feel really, really cheap lol :blush::blush::blush:

We are a family of 3 adults, 2 children and at least 4 mindees for lunch and tea every day and we spend around £40 a week on shopping in asda and oh goes to the wholesale market and spends about £100 per month/6weeks on food.

We have fresh fruit and veg with every meal and eat a home cooked meal every day except 1.

xxx

sandy64
12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Thar's a rude comment

yes i would say very rude you didnt evan add lol at the end
i no what you mean with teenagers where do they put it:laughing:
i spend around £90 -£120 a week unless of course its a party week then its more:)

The Juggler
12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
U reckon ??

wasn't the most polite hon :panic:

kel1983
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I live with my parents and brother (no children) so 4 adults. We soend £50 in tesco a week about £10 on fruit and veg from the market and about £3 on milk a week so say about £63 a week. We only feed a max of 2 mindees nd thats not every day so we tend to buy about £25 of food a month for the children.

If we are having cottage pie or bolognaise we tend to have some left over which is freezed for mindee.

dette
12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
We are a very big houshold there's Me and DH our 7 kids and 3 mindees.
We use a huge pack of loo roll a week and a ton of washing powder and fabric softener and 3 lots of "ladies things".I hate paying for things we cant eat ..
We spend about £120 every sunday with asda and get it delivered free(if you use an asda store card you get free delivery over £100 ) then midweek we get another delivery for about £50 of more milk ,fruit and veg and yogurts as even with a massive fridge i cant fit a weeks worth in it.
I buy mostly smart price and things that are on deals.Loads of fresh fruit and veg and make most of my meals from scratch.
3 of our children take a packed lunch to school (wont pay nearly £40 a week for school meals)and DH takes packed lunch to work.We use about 5 boxes of cereal a week at least and i always make a cooked evening meal.
So i feed 12 people on £170 a week thats about £2 a day each (and that includes all toiletries and cleaning products.:)...

Jenny Butlin
12-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I have found Aldi very useful for fruit and veg, saving us loads. I provide meals for all of my mindees and the cost of my Sainsbury's bill was silly so I switched and have never looked back.
Things I can't get from Aldi, I online order from either Sainsbury's or Tesco and we have saved almost £15 per week by doing this. :)