PDA

View Full Version : schools

patevans
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
My nephew came out of school a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find his reading book, the teachers said he had to pay for a new one and couldn't have another until it was paid for. My Sister hasn't had the spare money until today so my nephew has been without a reading book for 3 weeks, when my Sister went to pay for it today the whole class was inside the library bus except for him - he had to stay in class on his own, are schools allowed to do this?

I understand about paying for the lost book but not letting him have one until its paid for and singleing him out in the classroom and not letting him go on the bus is unacceptable :angry:

FizzWizz
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I would not be at all happy with that if that happened to DD - I am sure there are certain parents out there who would never replace the book - does that mean their child is never taught to read. Personally I would ask for a meeting with the head mistress / master to discuss the issue. How naughty of the school (and very anti EYFS) to make an example of the child!!

Velleity
08-02-2012, 07:28 PM
That's disgusting. The school should be ashamed of themselves. I'm all for children learning the consequences of things but making him sit alone in the classroom and refusing him a book is ridiculously over the top IMO.

RachelE
08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I would also find that unacceptable.

Obviously schools dont want to lose money by losing books, but that is a dreadful way to teach the child.
- and looking at it form another perspective - if you have a child that doesnt want to read - all they have to do is 'lose' their book! :rolleyes:

If this hasnt been a common occurance with him losing books, I'd be going in with a few strong words.
How old is he?

God luck!
Rachel x

patevans
08-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I would also find that unacceptable.

Obviously schools dont want to lose money by losing books, but that is a dreadful way to teach the child.
- and looking at it form another perspective - if you have a child that doesnt want to read - all they have to do is 'lose' their book! :rolleyes:

If this hasnt been a common occurance with him losing books, I'd be going in with a few strong words.
How old is he?

God luck!
Rachel x

This is the first book he's ever lost, he's 7!

singingcactus
08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Perhaps they thought it would be less upsetting for him if he didn't have to go on the library bus and come off without a book.

muffins
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
This happened to one of my mindees, only parents where adament they had returned it! He was without a book for 2 wks untill the treacher found it at school:rolleyes:

I think its terrible to not let them have another:angry:

miffy
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
That is terrible, poor kid :(

I think your sister should complain

Miffy xx