PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Jodie1989
08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
A lady has asked me to look after her two children one is two the other five months it's in her house and it's 3 days for two and half hours waiting for her hubby to get back, I have a ten and half month baby- my own child, I assume I must apply for varation from ofsted even tho it's in their home, am I correct? What do people think the likeness is?

marnieb
08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
if its in her house then you cannot work as a cm, you will have to work as a nanny.

but no variation will be needed as different rules apply.

rosebud
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on your insurance. I'm with MM and mine covers me to babysit mindees at their homes, I'm sure you would still need a variation though.

JCrakers
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Unsure, I would have thought you would be a nanny but havent looked into childminding at someone elses house before.

If you are going to be a nanny then no variation would be required....and no paperwork (unless things have changed)

christine e
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.*************/about_ncma/benefits_of_membership/insurance/public_liability_insurance.aspx

if you are with NCMA (PL Insuranc)they provide cover for babysitting but you have to complete a checklist

Cx

Jodie1989
08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I phoned ofsted- it's not childminding and believe it or not you don't even have to be registered its basically babysitting.

Ofsted are so helpful and polite

NicoleW
08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
So when does it become ''nannying'' then and not babysitting?

christine e
09-02-2012, 07:00 AM
I phoned ofsted- it's not childminding and believe it or not you don't even have to be registered its basically babysitting.

Ofsted are so helpful and polite

BUT to protect yourself you need to ensure your Public Liability insurance covers you

Cx

marnieb
09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
if I've read the op correctly, she is to go and work in someone else's house for 2 and a half days a week.................... how is that either babysitting or chlidminding, as as a cm you can only work from your own home??????????

Jodie1989
09-02-2012, 10:29 AM
It's being a 'home carer' ofsted explained this and you don't need to be registered, yea I agree must be insured to protect your self so it relys on your insurance really, if unsure ring ofsted as I have found out.

Jodie1989
09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
if I've read the op correctly, she is to go and work in someone else's house for 2 and a half days a week.................... how is that either babysitting or chlidminding, as as a cm you can only work from your own home??????????

That's correct can only childmind in your own home :)

pinklady756
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
That's correct - it's a home childcarer and being registered is not a requirement, it's something you can choose to do an a voluntary basis.

I'm a registered childminder, but also registered as a home childcarer as I have worked as a Nanny in the past. The two are completely separate and in my experience parents prefer a registered Nanny and the fact I was registered as a childminder also, worked in my favour with regards to the training etc you need to have.

Jodie1989
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
That's correct - it's a home childcarer and being registered is not a requirement, it's something you can choose to do an a voluntary basis.

I'm a registered childminder, but also registered as a home childcarer as I have worked as a Nanny in the past. The two are completely separate and in my experience parents prefer a registered Nanny and the fact I was registered as a childminder also, worked in my favour with regards to the training etc you need to have.

Thats just what ofsted said I'm on all registers but have filled in home carer application, the family are glad I'm a childminder as it proves I have all relevant documents in place, however they know they don't need a childminder
Thanks for clarifying tho :)

rickysmiths
09-02-2012, 01:29 PM

No its for 21/2 hours a day for 3 days a week to wait for Dad to get home so it is babysitting but in order to be covered by her Public Liability Insurance if she is with NCMA she need to complete one of their Babysitting check lists.

Here:

http://www.shop.*************/shop/Babysitting_Checklist.html