PDA

View Full Version : offering discount for family of 3

mr man
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
im being honest I came into childminding so i could be at home more with my children and didnt want to worry about school holidays.

it has changed my life for the better more than i ever expected - family life is great, relationship with DH ( due to less pressure) is great and financially is how id never expected or ever been used too.

anyway - i have a family ( fantastic they are ) i look the twins (7) and in sept their younger sister 4 will be joining me.
i am thinking of offering a discount becasue fees will be huge for single mum, but not sure how to do it.

what discounts do you offer if any at all. youngest sister is 4 but will bei full time school too.

thanks you.

Twinkles
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't do sibling discounts. I can't afford to.

If she's a single mum she should get a good chunk of her childcare bill paid for by tax credits.

The Juggler
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
i never do day rates or weekly rates that are cheaper than part time options. after all why work more hours for less :laughing: seriuosly though I don't want to be stuck by having to change this at some point.

IF, and I mean if I can afford a small discount what I do is work out the monthly fee, then maybe knock £10 off that or round it down. That's the best anyone's going to get out of me AND i make it clear on the invoice that I have given a discount. That way I can remove that discount at any time if I need to (still with a months notice though) as it's lower than the contractual hourly rate. :)

Cammie Doodle
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I used to do family discount, but not anymore :blush: my accountant asked me why i did this ? I explained I was embarrassed at charging for 2 children from the same family :blush: he said you are running a business and the more discount you give the more children you need to take on to make your money up ( making me work longer hours, days, so it made me think and I now charge everyone the same rate, and do you know he was right, I now work 3 days, not 5 and I'm not any worse off) it's difficult sometimes when you are doing the job you love to put a price on it. I could not believe that I would get paid for doing something I love .

The Juggler
07-02-2012, 11:04 PM
just make sure it's different friend on different days or his parents might view it as free childcare and expect it every holiday. A mum/dad who might actually reciprocate the offer woudl be nice - would be a change of scenary for your son too:)

blue bear
08-02-2012, 07:23 AM
No discounts here either.

Toothfairy
08-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I gave discounts when I first started minding but after a couple of years I stopped.
I can't afford to now (I pay for outings and trips out).

JCrakers
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I have a family of 3. A 3yr old mon-thu and 2 schoolies who have been here for nearly 5yrs. My usuao rate is £3.50 which would be £10.50 for all three but I charge £8.80.
£3.10 for first 2 children and £2.60 for eldest. This charge is fine for me as they are full time so their monthly childcare bill is quite big

mr man
08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
i think i will keep it as simple as poss, and have a word with myself to remind myself im running a business -your right june.
im jsut really fortunate to love this job and get paid at the same time.
i felt and still feel a bit like, - "wow i get paid what i got from my full time shop job to be at home playing, making things, going out places etc"

i jsut need to not be embarrased at the cost of it, i did speak to parent and she did say - i'll pay it casue you deserve it. :)
thats nice but still its me - like said i'll have a word with myself
**get a grip ** :laughing:

thanks for all the advice.

miffy
08-02-2012, 08:51 PM
No discounts here either - just remember parent chooses to go to work and, as she said, you are worth it!

Miffy xx

NicoleW
09-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Ooo I'm gonna go against the grain

I offer a sibling discount, I've only been registered a year but now I have most of my places booked up I've stopped offering it as of my new enquiry. I did it initially to bring in business as nobody here offers it so thought it might persuade some parents.

Also I charge by the hour, just to get my first couple of people however as of next enquiry I will be charging either a weekly or ''sessions'' i.e full day, mornings or afternoons regardless of hours.

Trouble
09-02-2012, 07:52 AM
i never did this but if you really have too make it 50pence less for each child

Mouse
09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
When I first started out many years ago it was standard practice to offer a sibling discount of 50% :eek:

Then when I took on siblings 6 years ago the mum did ask if I would do a discount. It was still standard practice here to do a small discount, so that's what I did.

Now I have just had the baby brother of a current mindee start and I'm not doing any discount for them. They didn't ask for one and very few minders I know offer them. I felt really guilty writing out their first invoice for both children, but they had signed contracts for the full fee (and never queried it), so I know I shouldn't have felt bad :blush:

Sunflowers
09-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I've been mulling this over... as I have a mum with 3 coming to see me today (2, 4 and 6) my OH pointed out that she has little choice in provider so why should I discount?

ziggy
09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I have 3 children from same family, dont offer discount. One summer mum took them to local summer scheme as i wasnt prepared to offer same rate, she only did it that once, they were back with me summer after lol

That age group can be hard work and eat like horses

And as mentioned if she's single mum she will probably be entitled to help with fees