PDA

View Full Version : Daily diaries

Twinkles
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I hate writing the daily diaries , I really do.

I've tried various methods ; making my own , using the ones from here etc etc.

Nothing makes it any better. It's time consuming and feels like a waste of time when hardly anyone reads them.

I always chat to parents when they collect and repeat exactly what I've just written in the diary !

Does anyone not do diaries but just rely on chats to give info ?

WibbleWobble
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
i used to do daily diaries....i still do if they are wanted but i have been told not to bother with my mindees. they dont get read and very rarely brought back. what i do is a monthly "what we have done and what i plan to do" newsletter. i also make sure i speak to parents at handover.

parents know i will answer any questions via text or phone before 7:30pm at night. (emergencies will be answered at any time)

hope that helps

mandy xxx

Trouble
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
after buying some i made my own

you could put a sheet of paper in their going home bag for them to write on if they need anything but as long as you communicate and they have their LJ then surely theres not a problem as you are communication:idea:

Andrea08
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
hi, only realy use them for my under 3's ....

hi mummy today andie said i was a big girl as i sat at the big table with my friends today, i have made you a picture with blue paint and i can bring it home when its dry,

i had xxxx for lunch but left my yyyyy

x2 wet nappies
x1 no2 nappy

planning for wednesday... we need wellies as we are going puddle splashing
im realy looking forward to it and i need my big red coat ;0

i felt tired at 1.30pm so andie let me have a little sleep in my bed

etc etc add a few piccs now n then and parents love it and because its written from the child its respected more

xx

hollyoaksmad
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
All I do is buy a book from
Tescos write what they eat nappies sleep and drinks and what we did . I use that for attendance reg and proof of what we have done then photocopy it is time consuming but it's proof and bak up for any problems which may occur eg of parent sed u didn't change my baby etc

rosebud
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I didn't used to do them at all and parents were happy with a verbal update at the end of the day.
I have started to do them now but only because I've discovered it saves me hours of paperwork outside of my working hours. I send home an A5 sheet each day, the front is a normal diary sheet but I write my observations and next steps on the back page and have left space for parents comments. The parents send them back next day and I file them into LJ's. Paperwork done. The only thing I add is artwork and photos which I also do in working hours. The only paperwork I do now when children aren't here is accounts.

Bernie
07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I've started doing diary emails.

I mention what they have got up to, eaten, slept and their nappies. Attach a couple of the days pics bluetoothed from my phone and jobs a guddun!

Anything urgent/important I will just give them a note at pick up, just incase I don't send the email until a bit later. And of course the 10 minute chat at drop off and pick up to duplicate what is in the diary! :laughing:

I have got a really good response and because most of them receive it on their phone they often email back with a little comment.

I get alot more feedback this way and they love the pics.

Also I send to both parents emails so they both can see, and if one is working away they stay in the loop.

xx

dobby
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I have found the diarys a real pain,especially when they get left at home, or despite handing them to the parensts, they leave them on the side here - so nobody reads anything grr!

I have now started using the nobleminder software which includes an email diary and love it! I can write it up during the day, even on my phone when waiting to collect my preschooler, add a photo and email them all at the end of the day. The parents often email back so i have better communication which of course demonstrates good communication and they all like the immediacy.

I dont think i could do nothing but this is heaps better than the paper ones :)