PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone stopped providing dinner?

Minstrel
07-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm thinking of stopping due to a few reasons.

Main mindee is vegetarian so I cook something different (whether it's a substitution or a different meal entirely). This mindee is very very fussy and so 9/10 the meal will go in the bin therefore wasting my time, money and effort.

The children all have a hot dinner at school (compulsary) and so they are eating a hot meal each day.

None of the parents seem fussed if I say they haven't eaten much and will just say they'll feed them at home (one has a younger child at nursery who doesn't get a dinner so she has to feed him anyway).

I charge amoung the cheapest in the area and so would keep my price low instead of raising it in April.

I find it all quite stressful! I would prvide them with a 'light tea' a bit earlier. Something a bit more substantial than a snack but enough to see them through until hometime.

So has anyone else stopped doing dinners and how did it go?

Thanks!

EmmaReed84
07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I havent stopped meals but did discuss meals with parents as I had to put my prices up, so from April they are increasing. I think as long as you are honest and talk to the parent, they can't ask for more really...

funemnx
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I stopped providing a cooked meal 2 years ago. It was so stressfull, there is always a child who doesn't like something and with 6 children around the table all saying I don't like this that or the other, I just gave up trying to please all of them (unless it was chicken nuggets and chips which I wasn't prepared to do).

The after school time is so much more relaxed, we have crumpets, tea cakes, cheese on toast and so on so they aren't starving when they leave. Two younger ones bring their dinner for me to heat up which is no problem, I don't spend time and energy trying to get them to eat it, if they don't want it, I bin it and tell the parents. None of the parents have objected, except 1 and the children don't come any more anyway as I couldn't accomodate their after school clubs.

sillybeans
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
LO's have hot lunch (Chicken, rice and veg/Casserole, mash and veg) etc and the older ones get a similar lunch at school.

I therefore offer a light tea such as beans on toast, jacket potato, soup and bread etc with as much fruit as they want :)

watgem
07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
i stopped 2 years ago as 2 mindees switched to days when I didn't need to cook and i didn't want to feed some and not the others, so I just do a snack now and its cheaper and less stressful:)

Minstrel
07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think I'm def going to go for it. I can't see any down sides to it (apart from parents not liking it!).

Cheers!

Penny1959
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I stopped in October last year when I reviewed contracts - parents can still request tea here - but it is quite likely to be more of a snack such as beans on toast or a ready meal - and I charge them extra now if they want their child to have tea here.

All but one parent has opted to have tea at home now - such a relief as like you I was preparing and cooking lovely home cooked meals with fresh veg etc - and putting most of it in the bin.

Penny :)

Goatgirl
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I didn't stop cooked diners but did stop providing a very often cooked lunch. I did as you are and explained my fees had been the same for x amount of time but instead of a rise I would stop providing midday meal.
I have always provided a substantial snack after school: bowl of fruit; then yoghurt; then bread/toast/sandwich/ hot cross bun ;), and these are still included in my hourly rate as are drinks :thumbsup:

Parents it affected were fine :) Good luck: life's too short for a stressful teatime :thumbsup:

best wishes, wendy

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I stopped doing food at one point because the children were wasting it all the time and told parents exactly why I was stopping. Everybody understood and aside from the parent that insisted on sending her 3 year in with cow&gate baby food and smarties it went well.

funemnx
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I stopped doing food at one point because the children were wasting it all the time and told parents exactly why I was stopping. Everybody understood and aside from the parent that insisted on sending her 3 year in with cow&gate baby food and smarties it went well.

:eek::eek::eek:

mushpea
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I stopped providing them last year,, most of mine were term time only so come June I send a letter out stating that as of the start of the 6 week hols I would no longer provide evening meals but they were welcome to send a pack lunch or somthing that I could reheat,, non of them sent anything and non of them were upset that they stopped infact one parent said it woudl be nice that their child could join them for the evening meal (they didnt want him to feel left out when the others ate theirs here).
I do now offer meals again but I send out a menu at parents request and they choose which meals from the menu also they now pay £1.50 per meal this way I dont throw food away as parents only request the meals they know their child will eat.

Andrea08
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I provide a good lunch but no evening meal as i suggest its best for families to do this together ...

although atm most of mine are part time and my after school mindees eat with family so im off the hook lol

ChocolateChip
07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Yes, I've recently stopped it ........ sort of! :blush:

As one of my mindees left at Christmas and currently none of the others were staying past 5pm I took the opportunity to stop offering cooked teas as part of my normal a/s service, and boy what a relief!
However I had just taken on a 2yr old who is here until 5.30pm one day a week, who needs to eat early else she falls asleep bless her so I have said that I will only give tea to any under 5's who are here (just her at the mo) and then got asked to take on someone else until 6pm, one day a week so I have also said I will only feed schoolies if they are here until 6pm (which costs extra as I 'close' at 5.30)

Confused? so am I, lol!
But I can't do right for doing wrong, as it turned out that one of the fussiest eaters who has literally cried into her dinner plate on a number of occasions was having tea here and then going home for tea there aswell :eek: Then the other day (she still comes but goes at 5pm so no tea) she told her mum that she felt left out because everyone else was eating tea :angry:
The only reason she was still here was cos dad didn't pick her up till 5.30 and it was a dinner she wouldn't have eaten anyway :rolleyes:

rosebud
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Light tea / snack here too at 4pm and it was such a relief when I stopped doing cooked teas. I do a cooked meal at lunchtime for LO's and then dinner for our family for 6.30pm so I was cooking 3 times a day - ridiculous! On my website it says I do a cooked dinner for 6.30 and any children still here are welcome to join us but I don't actually work that late:)

jane5
07-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I offer a hot meal at lunch and a light tea of sandwiches, fruit and yoghurt's for tea.

There is no way I could stand cooking in the kitchen whilst the lo's are grouchy.

One parent said her lo preferred sandwiches for lunch and a hot meal in the evening because that was the routine at home :rolleyes: Thankgoodness I stood my ground.

Bananabrain
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I stopped doing tea about 6 months ago. It was either that or get carried off to the funny farm:laughing:
After the day I've had today, I might stop lunch as well.................and breakfast:laughing:
At what point did we stop giving our children real food?:laughing:

singingcactus
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I stopped providing lunches a couple of years ago. I was really happy to stop to begin with.....but after opening pot after pot after pot of fromage frais, and serving sausage roll after sausage roll after sausage roll I just couldn't do it anymore.
I've gone back to providing proper lunches for the little guys I have. It is working so much better. They do still have the odd sugar laden fromage frais, but not every blessed day!
I cook simple things, meat, veg and potato. Pasta meals. Casseroles. etc. Nothing that takes more than 20 minutes to cook from start to finish. All whole foods....usually. Whole fruit for dessert. So by time kiddies have gone home I know they have had small amount of protein, 3-4 kid sized portions of fruit and veg, and ample carbs servings for the day. As well as having had fresh air, and learning opportunities.
It was nice to start with, the not cooking thing, but it grew old quickly cos I just didn't feel I could provide good all round child care without the healthy eating aspect of it. It's not that parents were providing crap deliberately, just after a couple of years they were running out of packed lunch inspiration. Plus, I actually enjoy cooking.

(I realise casseroles take more than 20 minutes lol but I do them one day ready for next )

mr man
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
ive jsut changed mine around - and i wish id done it sooner.
i do hot meal in day ( all schoolies inc my own 3 have school dinners) and then when we get in it fruit and then about 4 - 430 choice of someting on toast, bagel / crumpets / or soup ( i make homemade and we all love them ) potatoe cakes with beans / filled wrap.
on a fri i take them to the bakers to choose a saus rol, pasty or pie. they love this day but only on a friday - then my kitchen on a fri is not like a bomb site . :laughing:

quite a few choices there but all things that last a few days so dont get wasted.

i wish id done it ages ago, im not so stressed now after school :thumbsup:

The Juggler
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
i also stopped but by natural selection. I had mindees leaving that were eating, the one that was staying with me, never had tea anyway. I just made a decision to tell all new parents that I didn't offer it but would happily feed a cooked meal provided by them BUT NOT COOK IT - just reheat it.

I offer a substantial snack which keeps most of my LO's going - they all leave by 5.30 latest.

I would NEVER go back to meals. I have more time now to play and interact with the LO's whereas before it was a juggling act of keeping babies entertained whilst I cooked, supervising toddlers, sorting out the biggies arguments, dishing up, washing dishes, wasted food :panic::panic:

Vickster
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Interesting and I think I will ask for feedback from parents....I ask for packed luches for lunch time, but may look at doing hot lunch and high tea!

*daisychain*
08-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I provide a good lunch but no evening meal as i suggest its best for families to do this together ...

although atm most of mine are part time and my after school mindees eat with family so im off the hook lol

me too, As mine are picked up at 5pm and the parents go home for a cooked dinner anyway, I think it's so important after a day away from their LOs that they have this quality family time together.

Toothfairy
08-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Last year, instead of putting my prices up, I stopped providing meals instead.
I provide snacks and drinks and the Parents provide packed lunches.
I am happy to warm a meal up in the microwave it they want to send in a frozen meal but I have stopped cooking.

It was costing far too much and taking up too much of my time.

All parents were fine about it and understood :thumbsup:

ziggy
08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I used to provide a cooked lunch but over a year ago a new 3yr old started. he was supposedly a fussy eater so mum sent a lunch box, other 2 (siblings) decided they wanted to do the same.

It is so much easier not having to prepare, cook n serve meal at lunch time. All mine either bring a lunch box or a meal from home i can re-heat. Then we have fruit and yoghurts after school, any still here at 4.30 have beans/spaghetti/cheese on toast

life much simpler. And to be honest i never thought it was really safe cooking serving hot food with 3 little ones about

nokidshere
08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
me too, As mine are picked up at 5pm and the parents go home for a cooked dinner anyway, I think it's so important after a day away from their LOs that they have this quality family time together.

Not only is this sentence incredibly judgemental its also a complete misnomer for most working parents!

In my experience, working parents are all too aware of how much time they spend away from their little ones. All of my parents are very glad that I feed them so that they don't have to then start cooking when they get home. That makes the (very short) period before bed less stressful for everyone. No hungry child, no busy parent and time to play or chat about the day before bedtime. If you only spend two hours waking time a day with your child why on earth would you want to spend it in the kitchen and cooking?

I provide a cooked meal at the end of the day for all my mindees precisly so that the parent can have some quality time with their child when they get home.

JCrakers
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I do sandwiches,beans/spag on toast after school as I have so many children that I just cannot be in the kitchen cooking at the busiest time of the day. Last night I had 8 to feed and they were all chomping at the bit waiting for the toast to pop up....:laughing:
And with 15 children throughout the week, I dont really find time to cook at any time of the day.
I only give the under 5's a hot meal as the schoolies have school dinners and this is lunch time. All parents are fine with this and are happy to give light supper for the children at home. :D

Tealady
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Not only is this sentence incredibly judgemental its also a complete misnomer for most working parents!

In my experience, working parents are all too aware of how much time they spend away from their little ones. All of my parents are very glad that I feed them so that they don't have to then start cooking when they get home. That makes the (very short) period before bed less stressful for everyone. No hungry child, no busy parent and time to play or chat about the day before bedtime. If you only spend two hours waking time a day with your child why on earth would you want to spend it in the kitchen and cooking?

I provide a cooked meal at the end of the day for all my mindees precisly so that the parent can have some quality time with their child when they get home.

I agree! My parents value being able to have a relaxed time with their children and the children need it too. Whilst family meal time is important, I would suggest it's not always the best way to spend quality time at the back end of a long day away from home weather you be at work, school all the childminders. I think it would put my back up a bit is I visited a childminder who suggested she didn't do tea for this reason, although I would respect if she didn't do the meal for all manner of other reasons.

Gherkin
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I sort of stopped cooked dinners last summer. The domino effect of one child saying I don't like this and then all of the children saying I don't like it was getting far too stressful. As it was one of the children was having two dinners anyway.

I do lunch which will be sandwiches, sausage rolls, beans on toast, quesadillas etc. Then after school there will be snack - fruit, yogurt etc depending who is in and how hungry - they all know to say if they are hungry after snack. I still cook for a family where the children are with me till 6pm and for another family who are with me after 6 when on shift pattern but the children aren't fussy and future contracts are not being taken on for afte 5.30pm.

Life is a lot easier. We can go to the park after school which we couldn't do before when I was spending the time cooking. Best thing I ever did.

fionamadcat
08-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I provide lunch which is sandwich, beans on toast, soup, pasta etc. I have 1 schoolie who has tea here some nights as I agreed this with mum when he started (he was only my 2nd mindee and I hadn't learned the no word!!!), wish I hadn't agreed he gets picked up earlier and earlier but they still expect me to feed him because they can't be bothered to cook for him, I have had to say that if he is picked up before 5 then it will be beans on toast or fish fingers as I just don't have time to do anything else, he is happier with that anyway as he can be really fussy. I have had allsorts of other problems with this family so I've made decision thst once mum's college course finishes in May I will not be renewing the contract and then will not be offering teas.

Fiona

Suebb1
08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes I povide hot dinners for all the children in my care - used to have them bringing packed lunches years ago but to see some childrens faces when they saw what others had to eat was upsetting so decided to cook for everyone so they all ( with the exception of dietary requirements) have the same .

tialil
08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I stopped providing a cooked tea around 3 to 4 years ago. We would get in from school, quick snack, craft activity, go and cook or reheat tea (usually casserole/bolo etc) with a toddler screaming at the gate. Put toddler in buggy or highchair with me. Deal with arguments as if I was out of sight they would start ''performing''.
Serve food - would also be 1 or 2 moaning that ''I dont like that'' (but ate it well time before).Parents would come early and stand over the children and pick at the childrens food or would say ''oh h leave that I will get you tea when we get home''.:angry::angry::angry: why???
Oh andI didnt charge them either. When I did stop in the begining I did give them the option of booking and paying for tea to be provided but no one wanted to pay extra ;)
Best thing I ever did was stopping. I have more time for the children, not stressed trying to be cook, cleaner , referee, bum wiper etc all at the same time.
We come in from school have snacks which can be toast and fruit/yogurt, brioche, scones, pancakes, cheese and crackers, muffins,crumpets. Cake if its a birthday.

I will do tea but only for the under 2's but very rarely now. If I do they have a cooked lunch and sandwiches/finger /picnic type food for tea. :thumbsup: