PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... What do I do with a 12yr old boy??

sillybeans
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I've had a parent email today looking for holiday care for her 12 year old son and 7 year old daughter (although their school holidays generally aren't the same!)

The 7 year old is fine ... lots of ideas/activities for that age group.

What would you have in place to entertain a 12 yr old boy??? Not sure he'd want that much input from me? :rolleyes:

Velleity
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Maybe he could bring some favourite toys from home - or whatever interests him, or talk to him on the phone before and ask him what sort of things he would enjoy doing with you.

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I would want to meet with him first and I would get him to list his interests.

Board games
tie dying rugby shirt
he may enjoy drawing or painting
my son loves cross stitch!
puzzle games like Traffic Jam that he can do on his own.
Airfix models
a complex jig saw that could be worked on bit by bit
cooking
ceramic painting or glass painting
outings to a museum I am lucky living in London we have all the museums and the RAF museum and Kew gardens.
He may have a school project to work on or some work to do in shorter holidays

Jellytots79
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I have a 12 year old daughter and her favourite things are reading, listening to her ipod, playing games on her 3DS and cooking. Will he be able to get supervised access to a computer where he could get homework done? Lego, or any other sort of construction sets and model making sets.

Jiorjiina
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Could he be more of an 'assistant', rather than a mindee? Entertain him by getting him to help with the younger ones?

blue bear
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I'd be more thinking what I didn't want him doing here, like mobile phones, DS with camera, certain web sites, playstation games unsuitable for lo's to see.
Does he want to be able to go off and meet his mates?
Activities, cooking, playstation, computer, board games, soldiers, park,

TooEarlyForGin?
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I sometimes have a 12 year old boy in the holidays. He is really great and can be very helpful with little ones. If the weather is good he loves to go to parks to fly kites or kick a football around (dependent on how many little ones you have). He also loves lego, magnetix, cooking, clay modeling, swimming, visiting the farm, playing on the Wii or x-box. He also brings his PSP or DS sometimes. I do find it harder in winter, this xmas I had him for a day on his own, so we hit the museums, I thought he found it a bit boring, but mum and dad told me he'd had a fabulous day out with me, especially as we did park and ride, which is something he hadn't done before.

He also comes to me for a long day 10.5 hours, so if there is a local sports club that runs from say 9-4 his parents will book him on and I will take and pick him up to help break up his day. (obviously with my agreement)

TooEarlyForGin?
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
p.s.

the 12 year old I care for also has a 6 year old sister and they fight light cat and dog. So it really helps, if you have the space, to separate them sometimes. I am lucky I have a nice living room which is kept child free for me and my other half, which I allow older children to use, as long as they use it sensibly, to do lego, or watch a dvd away from younger children.

sillybeans
07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've arranged for them all to come and visit on Saturday so I can chat to the kids about their likes and dislikes etc.

You've given me lots to think about :clapping:

nikki thomson
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I have to say rather you than me, at 12 he'll probably be into computer games, going out with his mates, I think he'd be better suited in a holiday club with children his own age, he may well be very quiet, into reading and very helpful.
I probably wouldn't go down the route of getting him to be your assistant unless he's really keen on the idea, alot of boys of that age will have no intrest in helping you with little ones and who can blame them really. X

kellib
07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
My 11 year old cousin is into football, football and oh yeah more football :laughing:

So trips to the park etc would keep him more than happy!

mushpea
07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
my son is 11yrs,, dosent really play with toys much and hates football but plays on the xbox and loves helping in the kitchen and over the allotment,,
all kids are different so I would have a good chat with him and maybe get him to write a list of things he likes to do at home to bring with him on his first day.
in the hols we spend lots of time out and about either at parks or over the woods den building or walking the dog, anything to help wear of some of that energy.

Andrea08
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a tick list of LIKE/DISLIKE / Other interests;

my son is 13 and its;-
football
TY
Xbox and other games
DS
sport
some movies
food
food
popcorn
more food
music
music on phone etc
cooking pizzas
staying away from screaming girls
house DIY....

oh and if you want to talk with him send a txt :laughing:

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I have to say rather you than me, at 12 he'll probably be into computer games, going out with his mates, I think he'd be better suited in a holiday club with children his own age, he may well be very quiet, into reading and very helpful.
I probably wouldn't go down the route of getting him to be your assistant unless he's really keen on the idea, alot of boys of that age will have no intrest in helping you with little ones and who can blame them really. X

Now you see I disagree with that. I actually find the comment a bit negative and you can't tar all 12 year old boys with the same brush.

My son who is now 17 has always loved my mindees and they adore him. The always greet him when we get him from school shouting his name and big smiles and hugs from everyone. He earns a good living at the moment babysitting for them as well. 2 dates on thur and Fri this week. :thumbsup: He has also been a Young Leader with the Beavers for the last two years and they adore him and he loves working with them. There are also other young lads and girls doing the same as him in the Beaver, Cub and Scout sections every week.

I have minded 12 year olds alongside little ones very successfully. It depends on the 12 year old and if you are confident in having a wide age range in the house together. Personally I don't allow computer games for any age mindee. They have more than enough time for Computers and PS and X Box at home without me having to provide it as well. My own son didn't get an x box until his 16th birthday and is restricted to how long he is on it each day.

I also do not allow them to bring any hand held gadgets or a phone with them. No need for a a phone because they can use mine to call mum or dad and it saves any heart ache of anything getting broken or the chance of any photos taken by 'accident'. There are so many things to do all the electronic stuff can be left behind for a day.

This lad could be into Scouting who knows?