PDA

View Full Version : Can I do it on my own?

val555
07-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm a former Early Years teacher whose really keen (underestimation) to start registering for childminding. I was really gutted to find that the next LEA briefing isn't until September. I really want to get the ball rolling before then- I'm prepared to fund myself for First Aid Certificate and CYPOP5 Course and have found suitable courses.What I want to know is- is it absolutely essentail to attend these briefings or can I start the process myself? If I can, how would I get my hands on an OFSTED application Pack? Can I just ring them??? Many thanks for advice

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I would ring and ask them and Ofsted. I think you have to attend a certain number of meetings run by your early years.

I would ask if the qualifications you have exempt you from doing a level 3 Diploma especially if they are in early years because you probably have a degree so why would you need to do a 'A' Level in childcare?

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do your First Aid and if you do need it start on the Diploma ahead of September.

I would ask why the next briefing is not until September though. In my experience this is one of the things LAs are doing when they believe an area has sufficient childminders. Although as long as you are found to be a suitable person they can prevent you from registering, some areas where they have shown they have sufficient childminders will discourage new registrations.

I would do some research in your area to see what the situation really is. A chat with your local children's centre might be helpful.

JMcG
09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi just like the other poster said it depends on your area a bit, but I had this problem when looking to register and I did attended my ICP and first aid training before I did the briefing. I would see if any neighbouring authorities woudl let you attend one of their briefings too if they have an earlier one. I did this, they weren't keen on letting me but I just kept nagging a bit and said I couldn't afford to wait that long to get my registration sorted and they let me in the end! It was so basic and pretty generic, I cant see that there woudl be any real issues with attending one outside your area.

Hope that helps and good luck. I was worried about leaving my office job but I'm loving childminding.... it has only been a month though so fingers crossed the happy feelings last!