PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you say 'No'?

Toothfairy
07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Mindee (1yr) turned up this morning full of cold.
Her eyes were so red, swollen and runny, she could hardly see out of them, her nose was streaming and she has a nasty loose phlemy (Sp?) cough.

Mum admitted that Mindee was in a bad way, said she had given Calpol and to keep her dosed up during the day and to ring her if she gets worse.
She hasn't got a temp but very warm.

I don't exclude for colds but when they are bad as this do you think I should.
She is very clingy and grizzly. I only have one other Mindee today (3yrs), so not so bad but tomorrow I have a 3yr old and a 2yr old.
It will be hard to spend so much one to one time with her tomorrow if she is the same.

Not sure what to do?

sarah707
07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I will give the odd dose of Calpol to alleviate suffering while parents make their way back to me...

I will not give Calpol through the day to keep a child dosed up.

If they are that bad then they need to be at home - in my opinion.

Tough one I know but time to get tough I think xx

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I will give the odd dose of Calpol to alleviate suffering while parents make their way back to me...

I agree with Sarah 100% I would not have taken the child.

AgentTink
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I do not give any calpol, and advise parents that if their child needs it to get through the day then they will be sent home. Any child that needs medicine to engage and take part is not well in my opinion, and as I am not a nurse, I am unprepared to care for a ill child.

EmmaReed84
07-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I have just written a policy stating I am happy to take children with coughs and colds providing they are still able to participate in activites. I have also stated that I will only give ONE dose of NP medication and if the child requires more then the parent will need to collect as I will only give one dose in a day.

snufflepuff
07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I also only give one dose of calpol. If they need constant medication, they are not well enough to be here.

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't have taken them either. One of my 2012 promises to myself was to toughen up with parents who consistently send in their little ones when they're poorly and I'm actually doing it!

Toothfairy
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone, time to get tough I think :thumbsup:

miffy
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM

I agree with Sarah on this - it's not fair on the child or you :(

Miffy xx

Mollymop
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I also only give one dose of calpol. If they need constant medication, they are not well enough to be here.

Same here. I don;t give Calpol either, if parents ask me to give a dose later in the day etc, I say if they are unwell they shouldn't be with me.
I don't like giving calpol unless the child is in pain/has a temperature.
If the child is so under the weather parents should keep them at home.

Toothfairy
07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Mindee's temp went up to 37 so gave calpol and phoned Mum who came and collected (found out that Dad was at home today :angry:).
Explained that if Mindee was still the same tomorrow then I couldn't have her and Mum was fine about it.

Lets see if she turns up tomorrow :rolleyes:

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Mindee's temp went up to 37 so gave calpol and phoned Mum who came and collected (found out that Dad was at home today :angry:).
Explained that if Mindee was still the same tomorrow then I couldn't have her and Mum was fine about it.

Lets see if she turns up tomorrow :rolleyes:

Is mindees demo normally very low hun? I thought between 36 and 37 was normal?

Glad she's gone home though poor little mite, when they're poorly like that they need their mummies.

AgentTink
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I follow nhs direct were it states that for a child a fever is classed as 37.5.

However in the case of the op, a child with all of the above symptoms and a on the increase temperature I too would have told parent to collect even if it hadn't got to 37.5.