PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

Mia'smummyx
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi, Im in need of a little advice, I have a mindee who has had a cough for a few weeks (all the mindees have it) Dad has just brought him back from the doctors with anitbiotics and gave them to me to give to him........I said I am unable to give the first dose and he needs to be off from the setting for the first 24 hours.....Is this correct??
He left him here saying mum will have to sort it out and he cant have him today as hes busy........I said thats fine but I will not be able to give the antibiotics today.
Am I right?? This is what I usually do..........??

Thank you

Leah

Happy Bunny
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
If he has never had these antibiotics before the I would exclude for the first 12 hours as they may have an allergic reaction to them.
I would phone mum up and explain the situation and the reason why you can't give him them.

sarah707
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't routinely give the first days' doses in case of reactions - even with medication that children have had before as the reaction can build up.

However if the child needs the medication and it is prescribed and I have written permission then I would give it to alleviate suffering.

You have been put in a difficult position and need to contact mum asap xx

Mia'smummyx
07-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't routinely give the first days' doses in case of reactions - even with medication that children have had before as the reaction can build up.

However if the child needs the medication and it is prescribed and I have written permission then I would give it to alleviate suffering.

You have been put in a difficult position and need to contact mum asap xx

Thanks for the reply.... he has had antibiotics before but I have no record of what they were as he was off when he had them (mums a teacher).
I left it to dad to make the decision to give the antibiotics and take mindee home or not give them and leave him, he choose to leave him and not give them ( so why do I geel so guilty)............mindee has had the cough for at least two weeks, its not got better but not got worse.....im really feeling for him and would love to give him the medicance asap but I feel its to risky to give the first dose!!
Grrr I hate it when I get put in these situations :(

Leah

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I will not take them for the first 24 hours on antibiotics and then only if there is an improvement in their condition. Not clear why the child has suddenly been given them for a long term cough though. I would want to know more, is there another infection, chest, throat or ear? GPs don't usually give Abs for a cough.

I went to the GP on Firday. I have had the same cough and cold all the mindees have had but on Thurs pm my throat felt like barbed wire. The GP said I had a throat and ear infection didn't know if it was viral or bacterial, gave me antibiotics. It has cleared the throat like magic but I still have the cough, the cold has nearly gone.

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I would be asking why he has them. Chest infections are contagious (according to NHS choices) so maybe he shouldn't be in until he's better? I do not allow them in for the first 24 hours either in case of allergy whether or not they've had them before as allergies can start at any time. x

QualityCare
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
As he has the antibiotics for the same 'illness' he has had for several weeks l see no point in excluding the child he's no more contagious today than yesterday and no worse in himself, if he has had the same antibiotic before then again no reason to exclude, if he hasn't had it before but has 2 doses at home today one when he's picked up and at bedtime and then one in the morning with no reaction then l would have him tomorrow.

maisiemog
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
My DDs nursery wont have a child in for 48 hours after they are given antibiotics. I have decided to adopt a similar policy in my own setting. I chose 24 hours, because having spoken to my sister, who is a nurse, she said 24 hours is plenty. A reaction to medication can build up over time as you need to build up the dosage in the body, but at that stage the reaction is unlikely to be anaphalaxis (sp).

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
This is interesting because I ask for no return before 24 hours for the medication to kick in and start to work so the lo is well enough to spend the day with me. Never really occurred to me about a bad reaction to the medication!

Mia'smummyx
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone... its nice to know I was doing the right thing... I choose to allow mum to give this evenings and tomorrow morning dose and mindee can return tomorrow... as he had had the cold for a few weeks he has already spread his germs to all of us (apparently its not a chest infection but i beg to differ). If mindee had suddently become ill or was on the first day of becomming ill I would have ensured he stayed of for the 24/48hours but hey ho some parents decide to send them in for two weeks and making us all ill before going to the doctors!!

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
This is interesting because I ask for no return before 24 hours for the medication to kick in and start to work so the lo is well enough to spend the day with me. Never really occurred to me about a bad reaction to the medication!

Some of the stronger antibiotics (for example Augmentin) can cause nasty diarrhoea as well as pose an allergy risk. (I'm a bit of an 'enclosed leaflet' reader, I also actually do read T&Cs instead of simply clicking the 'i have read...' button- sad person that I am :roll eyes: ...)