PDA

View Full Version : Heat resistant film for oven

ABA
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone

I have been told that you can get a heat resistant film for your oven and was wondering of anyone knew where I could get some

Thank you

smurfette
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Hia the brand is clever mamma I think Mothercare do it? Should get it in most larger nursery stores too

ABA
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you for that information

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
May I ask why you would need to use such a film? Most modern ovens are cool safe anyway, they have to be.

My oven was new last year and it has a self clean cycle when it goes up to 500 degrees, the oven doors lock for four hours.

During this cycle I can still touch the outside of the glass oven door.

My oven now is a double oven though the lower one is within the reach of an 18mth old if they were allowed to get close enough!

My previous oven was under counter style and old and I must say it never occurred to me to put any film on it. I RA the kitchen and the mindees are not allowed in without supervision. I now have a huge kitchen/diner and the children still do not go in the kitchen without me. Ofsted have never questioned a lack of film nor have I ever had even approaching an accident in 17years. I often have an oven on cooking a meal or baking for my family or with the mindees.

ABA
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
The reason I was asking is i had heard about it and my oven is under the counter and though new i find the glass does get hot and doesn't lock.

Also being newly registered and I am being over cautious

rickysmiths
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
The reason I was asking is i had heard about it and my oven is under the counter and though new i find the glass does get hot and doesn't lock.

Also being newly registered and I am being over cautious

Ovens don't normally lock. Mine only does when it is on its self clean cycle because it gets so hot. It is a big American Oven so quite unusual to have in a British kitchen.

Personally I would Risk Assess how you will keep the children safe like not letting them in the kitchen unsupervised. Don't loose site of the fact that you are working in your home and Ofsted do not expect you to batten the hatches down and put film and clips on everything in sight. It is a question of assessing the risk and how you will manage it to keep the children in your care safe.

For example I have a large open kitchen diner which has doors into the playroom. The children can move easily from one room to another. I have been lucky enough to have my first ever new kitchen. Under the counter I have 12 large drawers. I have a corner cupboard and the cupboard under the sink. Two tall larder cupboards. I vowed I would not put clips on any of them and I haven't. I have assessed the risk. I don't store cleaning materials under the sink, they are all out of reach in a small utility room that does have a magnetic alarm on the door.

I also don't use socket covers and have explained why in my Risk Assessments.

I had my inspection in Sept 2011 and got Outstandings in all areas for keeping children safe.

ABA
08-02-2012, 02:43 PM
That makes sense.
Thank you the advice I really appreciate it.