PDA

View Full Version : Open University & Childminding

Sissy
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I am thinking about to enrol myself to a Open University Undergraduate Course, I am wondering if anyone overhere has done or is doing it and if it is possible to carry on minding/looking after the family while studying or should I just take a break? Perhaps reduce my mindees from 3 to 1 only keeping the one who needs less hours? Money is not an issue as such, obviously i will have to live with less, but maybe with HB, CTC and Student Loan + Husband salary we will be ok?
Any thoughts?

mum2two
07-02-2012, 06:05 AM
There are lots that do it - including myself & my hubby!

We are both in yr 2 of the Foundation degree in Early years. I won't say it's easy... It does take up a lot of spare time too, but can be done, as lots on here are doing/have done it!

The issue we have is with both of us doing it - is trying to find the time. I know some that do it, that as an assignment is getting close, hubby takes the children out for a few hours at the weekend. We don't have that option as it means one of us not studying! A lot of the course is work based - especially this year. You need to be working with children in order to 'study' them and self reflect on your practice.

xxx

Sissy
07-02-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks for your answer, can I ask few more quastions please? Are both of you working? Did you take student loan? How does it affect benefits and are you entitled to more benefits being a student? I am 35 this year, is it really worth it to start studying for a new career and is OU degrees respectable? I am not thinking about Early Years though...

sdean
07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I do it - I have completed 2 courses and I am in the process of doing two this year so will have a foundation degree in Oct. I work full time with an assistant so six children between 7.30 and 6.00 plus after schoolers and two children of my own and a hubby that does nothing in the house (he works full time too). It is possible - won't say it is easy because it isn't but it is possible.

I study when the kids are asleep in the afternoon (may be 30mins) then rest is evenings and weekends. Somehow you just fit it in cos you have to .

OU is very structured you have study plans and set work to get through each week - it is very read our stuff digest our stuff and write about our stuff they do not expect wider reading in general so the books you get are what they want you to read.

Good luck if you decide to do it !
:)

WibbleWobble
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
i do a 55 hour week and am on my second year with OU.

cant add anything else really....everyone has posted what its like

mandy xx

Andrea08
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
sorry to BUTT IN but how much is a OU and what corses are there please,
i would like to do my english and maths as my qualifications so many moons ago are not recognised anymore lol

also thinking about doing foundation degree as LA are not funding it much atm

thanks x

sdean
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
sorry to BUTT IN but how much is a OU and what corses are there please,
i would like to do my english and maths as my qualifications so many moons ago are not recognised anymore lol

also thinking about doing foundation degree as LA are not funding it much atm

thanks x

£770 per module/course but in September it is going up to £2500.00!! If you are registered before and start before then think it is still £770. all the info is on the website there are courses for everything on there.

Andrea08
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
£770 per module/course but in September it is going up to £2500.00!! If you are registered before and start before then think it is still £770. all the info is on the website there are courses for everything on there.

thanks for that think ill look on the website, xxx

rosebud
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I did it too. I worked 4 days a week but still found it really hard and wouldn't have managed it without the support of my amazing partner. He basically took over every weekend; entertained the kids, cleaned the house, did the cooking, did the ironing, he was brilliant and it meant I could focus on the study. At the time I just got on and did it because I had to, its only looking back I realise how hard it was and also how much I missed out on with my kids. Worth it though when I look at my certificate. :)

Sissy
13-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I do it - I have completed 2 courses and I am in the process of doing two this year so will have a foundation degree in Oct. I work full time with an assistant so six children between 7.30 and 6.00 plus after schoolers and two children of my own and a hubby that does nothing in the house (he works full time too). It is possible - won't say it is easy because it isn't but it is possible.

I study when the kids are asleep in the afternoon (may be 30mins) then rest is evenings and weekends. Somehow you just fit it in cos you have to .

OU is very structured you have study plans and set work to get through each week - it is very read our stuff digest our stuff and write about our stuff they do not expect wider reading in general so the books you get are what they want you to read.

Good luck if you decide to do it !
:)
O

OMG you are a superwoman!

Sissy
13-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I did it too. I worked 4 days a week but still found it really hard and wouldn't have managed it without the support of my amazing partner. He basically took over every weekend; entertained the kids, cleaned the house, did the cooking, did the ironing, he was brilliant and it meant I could focus on the study. At the time I just got on and did it because I had to, its only looking back I realise how hard it was and also how much I missed out on with my kids. Worth it though when I look at my certificate. :)

Lucky you that have such a wonderful partner, I can't see my husband doing anything to help if he is not in a mood which is never ever, and he does not even understand why I want to do it in the first place. I can see myself asking for help and he saying that it was my choice to do OU and I am pushing responsabilities on him as though as house work and spending time with our only child is only MY responsabilitie.
Maybe I am better off getting divorce as well, probably more support and benefits being a single mother.:mad: