PDA

View Full Version : Childminder settling child at pre school

kay24
06-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi all,

Just signed a newbie up tonight who is 16 months :) Also have my own lo and a full time mindee they will both soon be 3. Newbee starts in a few weeks and then soon after the gov funding of 15 hours for pre school will kick in. Mum wants existing mindee to attend same pre school as my lo as they are best friends :) But am a bit worried about how they will be without me there....we attend lots of play sessions ect. so they are used to going and playing at familliar places although at first they are mostly very shy to. I think my lo will be ok after a couple of settling in sessions but not so sure about my mindee...he is happy to go off and play when we go to playgroup but needs constant re-assurance that i'm there, he shouts my name every 2 mins and tends to panic if he cant see me. Once he sees me he is fine and will carry on but will call out again a couple of mins later, and when he panics, he really panics screaming/tantrum/shakes ect. It seems to take him a long time to build close relationships.

Has anyone got any tips for me on how to settle them into pre school? Dont want things to start off on the wrong foot and have two howling toddlers stuck to me every morning !! As I will obviously have the new mindee with me too. I know that if one of them is screaming and clinging on it is likely to panic the other into doing the same. We've got some books from the library out about playgroup and reading those and are talking about it but if anyone can think of anything else would love to hear it.

Thanks and sorry for sounding a bit pathetic!!!!!!!!! lol
:)

sarah707
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
How about some role play where you practice the skills they will need such as taking off coats, finding their name, signing in, looking for something to play with when they first arrive etc.

Hth :D

kay24
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Ah lovely idea Sarah, thanks for replying will try that out xx