PDA

View Full Version : SCARLET FEVER

VINASOL
06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
My mindee 12m went to see GP today and GP thinks it is scarlet fever and has prescribed anit-bs. Mum has to take him back tomorrow and then if rash hasn't gone she has to take him to the local hospital for further treatment.

Neither me or mum thinks it could be as no temperature/fever and rash isn't raised.

Getting confused on exclusiosn - one site said 5 days; one 24hrs after anti-b's but I have to inform Ofsted.

Anyone shed any light?

Mum has to go back to docs tomorrow so I guess they might confirm it and I'm not sure what to do.

The Juggler
06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
my dd had this at age 2 (2 weeks into starting minding :panic:) she was sooo ill with a raging temp. could it not be slapped cheek virus maybe. if SF they should be swabbing her throat to check and if it is, it is a notifiable disease and you'd need to tell ofsted.

hope it isn't hon.

marnieb
06-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I had it a few years ago - it was awful!! I had no temp either, just a verys sore throat but as the day wore on I couldn turn my neck, it was so painful!!

But yes, the gp should've swabbed and will let mum know tomorrow if it def is. Going by how I felt lo will need at least 3/4 days at home with mum.

And yes, you do have to inform Ofsted, my gp had to let the local Health Authority know I had it!!

rickysmiths
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
my dd had this at age 2 (2 weeks into starting minding :panic:) she was sooo ill with a raging temp. could it not be slapped cheek virus maybe. if SF they should be swabbing her throat to check and if it is, it is a notifiable disease and you'd need to tell ofsted.

hope it isn't hon.

It is not a notifiable disease according to the Health Protection (Notifiable) Regulations 2010. So there is no need to tell Ofsted.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/

However it does say on the Guidance on infection control in schools and other childcare settings

Scarlet Fever Child can return 24 hours after commencing appropriate antibiotic treatment.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

Hope this is helpful. I hope the lo is alright. I would advise staying at home until the lo is feeling better and can take part in normal daily activities which might be more than 24 hours.

BuggsieMoo
06-02-2012, 08:25 PM

Bit of conflicting information im afriad but the HPA poster for settings says it is notifiable (*) donates this and its 24 hours from starting antibiotics.

My daughter had this last year and dr advised l had to notify Ofsted, which I did. Ofsted asked what I had done and how I would prevent it spreading.

BuggsieMoo x

Trouble
06-02-2012, 08:30 PM
its going round up here and chicken pox and whooping cough:eek:

NicoleW
06-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Someone I know in Billinghurst her son has just got slapped cheek

Hope she gets better soon the poor love

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Don't know where you are hunnie, but i know scarlet fever is going around some parts of devon at the moment.

I understood it was notifiable too and also go with the guidelines bugsiemoo posted, have these been changed/updated?

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Bit of conflicting information im afriad but the HPA poster for settings says it is notifiable (*) donates this and its 24 hours from starting antibiotics.

My daughter had this last year and dr advised l had to notify Ofsted, which I did. Ofsted asked what I had done and how I would prevent it spreading.

BuggsieMoo x

Ok you are quite right the two lists give differing information.

I have just spoken to the Health Protection Agency (tel 0208 200 4400) and they have confirmed that Scarlet Fever is a Notifiable Disease and it does have to be reported to Ofsted if the child has been in your care.

They will be amending the list of Notifiable Diseases on their web site and thanked me for pointing out the difference.

As to what action you are taking to prevent the spread of infection, surely excluding the child until the disease has been confirmed and the necessary treatment started. If in doubt I would ring the HPA for advise on the number above.

BuggsieMoo
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Ok you are quite right the two lists give differing information.

I have just spoken to the Health Protection Agency (tel 0208 200 4400) and they have confirmed that Scarlet Fever is a Notifiable Disease and it does have to be reported to Ofsted if the child has been in your care.

They will be amending the list of Notifiable Diseases on their web site and thanked me for pointing out the difference.

As to what action you are taking to prevent the spread of infection, surely excluding the child until the disease has been confirmed and the necessary treatment started. If in doubt I would ring the HPA for advise on the number above.

Thats pretty much what I said to Ofsted I had done as well as got a fact sheet for the parents on it so that if their children started to display symptons they knew what they were as well as the notification to all parents that it had been in the setting. x

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Out of interest where did you get your fact sheet from?

BuggsieMoo
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Out of interest where did you get your fact sheet from?

When I got her prescription, I explained to the chemist I provided childcare and did they have any info on it I could give to parents. They gave me some information there and then from their system which I copied for all the parents. I also put a link on my web page and facebook page to NHS direct about it. x

rickysmiths
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Ok thanks for that.

alwaysright
07-02-2012, 05:50 PM
when my daughter had scarlet fever a couple of years ago she wasnt ill with it either, she had what they call strawberry tongue and the rash all over her body, i informed ofsted and i had to close for five days so i would check the exclusion period and wouldnt have her back tomorrow for definate, even if the child has antibiotics they take 24-48 hours to even start working