PDA

View Full Version : Retainer from now until Mid May? What do you think?

Tippy Toes
06-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi All

I had a lady come to visit last week wanting 2 days childcare for her little one (the only 2 days I have a free).

Initially she wanted childcare to start Mid April and I said thats fine will need 2 weeks fee to hold space and this will come off her first invoice.

She called today to say she now needs care starting approx mid May, (she is waiting to hear back from her employer)

She asked me would I need a fee to hold the space, me on the spot said yes would need retainer which would be a quarter of the fees.

She said she would get back to me after getting clarification from her work about her return date and also would need to work out the fees to retain the space.

Now I am wondering whether I should of said retainer or not? Because originally she said Mid April start and I said fine just need 2 weeks fee and now Ive gone back on it?

What would you have done? Or think I should do?

Dont know whether to get back in touch and say forget the retainer, 1 months fee to hold the space until mid May refundable against your first months invoice.

What to do? What to do?

Thanks for any advice xx

samb
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
If you were happy to do a deposit of 2 weeks without a retainer to start mid April, are you asking for the 2 weeks deposit plus a retainer for the weeks between when she was going to start to mid may or from now til mid may? If first option then I think yes perfectly reasonable but make it clear to her now so she doesn't add up from now and it put her off. If second (which is what I would do) I think it could cause a problem as you were ok to have no charge for 2 months anyway and it's a bit difficult to suddenly ask for 3 months retainer.

Tippy Toes
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your reply :)