PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing??

afsha1810
06-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I am a newly registered cm and had an enquiry from a parent looking for a cm from 5.30pm to 7pm. They wanted me to collect from nursery at 5.30 which meant I would have to leave home at 5pm. I arranged a meeting for today at 4.30pm today. Mum called on Saturday to cancel and re-book but later realised she was cancelling a day we hadn't even booked.

This was my first enquiry so was really excited, after thinking about I felt the times would be awkward because if I had schoolies it would mean I would have to take them out at 5pm and then be back in time for parents to collect them.

Called mum today to cancel because of above reason, mum didn't answer but sent me a MSG to say unable to to make it and wanted to re-arrange. I then sent a MSG back advising of above and apologised.

I had said to myself I didn't want to work beyond 6pm. Also thinking of the bigger picture it would be difficult to take on any after schoolies because I would have to take them out when they could be relaxing after a day of school.

Really just looking for reassurance I have done the right thing or have I just messed up!!

Afsha x

lulubelle
06-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Def right thing, I pick a little boy up from nursery at 6 2days a its a nightmare dragging them all out, def won't be agreeing to it again!

AgentTink
06-02-2012, 03:16 PM
If the hours dont fit your family life then yes you do not have to take on every enquiry.

Also for future remember that just because a parent asks for a certain time ie 530 pick up it doesnt mean that you wouldnt be able to say that due to other commitments that you would only be able to collect them at say 4 o'clock if this fitted into your other school runs etc. And then leave it up to the parent to decide if this would work for them.

It is very easy at first to take on every bit of work that comes your way no matter how akward it may seem, but in the long run it can be harder to let a family down once they have been with you a while, and so you would then be stuck with work that didnt fit your circumstances.

afsha1810
06-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Def right thing, I pick a little boy up from nursery at 6 2days a its a nightmare dragging them all out, def won't be agreeing to it again!

Thnx for that I feel much better, I was feeling really bad I turned her down but then I suppose it would have been harder if I started minding him. I think from now on if I get any enquiries for beyond 6 I'm just gonna say no.

Thnx again, Afsha x

Goatgirl
06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd have done the same as you. Its tempting to take anything that's offered but you do have to think of how you will manage when others come along. And maybe wanting early starts: That was a late finish!
To be honest, it sounds like the mum was also rather disorganised to put it politely ;)

I think you did good: always give yourself time for a think and go with your gut feeling :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Linda Mc
06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I think you did the right thing :thumbsup: I know it's tempting to take anything when we're first registered but then it could come back to bite you on the bum!

Can you imagine when you have more mindees how difficult it would be to leave your house at 5pm ... what if you need to provide dinner for them or parents are wanting to pick up their children, not to mention what a long day you would have! All for a couple of hours care for one child.

Is the little one in Nursery all day? Can't begin to think how tired they'd be if they were out all day & not getting home until after 7pm :panic:

miffy
06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
You didn't mess up, you thought about it and decided it wasn't going to fit in with your family.

Hope you get some more enquiries soon

Miffy xx

JCrakers
06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I have said no in the past to picking up from Nursery at a late time but said I'll have the child all day instead of nursery and that worked :D