PDA

View Full Version : Childminding for a relative - help!

boxofkittens
23-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hello, I'm a newbie here in need of some advice!
I'm thinking of childminding for my niece (aged 4) after school and summer holidays. I can't find definitive information about whether or not I need to be registered and what that would involve. Can anyone help with this?
Thank you!

Pipsqueak
23-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Kittens

To clarify - to be a Childminder yes you have to be registered - so you cannot call yourself that if you do not register.

It depends on how long for/where you will be caring for you neice.

Anything over 2hrs per day
for payment or reward
in your own home

will be considered (unreg'd) childminding.

If you are doing any of the above - I would say Register.

katickles
23-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah pipsqueaks right there - so its a registration process for you me thinks :)

miffy
23-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree - good luck

miffy xx

tulip0803
23-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi

I agree. Payment and reward does not just mean being given money if you are given anything in return for the child-care you need to register.

If you do not register you could be fined up to £4000.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/3706.pdf This includes a section on unregistered childminding as well as the regulations.

If you register then the child's parents can get help with payments through child tax credits if they are entitled.

boxofkittens
23-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Brilliant, thank you all so much for your help! It's much appreciated. Guess I'd better get cracking then!

tulip0803
23-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Good luck:) Any other questions just ask someone will know the answer:) Speak to you soon.

Blaze
23-05-2008, 09:12 PM
You do NOT have to be registered to care for (& be paid for caring) a close blood relative...I know i cared for my neice while I was going through the registration process...however if the child's parents need to claim child care element then you HAVE to register...you may choose to register to give yourself some protection should anything ever go wrong etc.:)

angeldelight
23-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Good advice from everyone

Welcome to the forum

Good luck

Angel xx

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:05 PM
You do NOT have to be registered to care for (& be paid for caring) a close blood relative...I know i cared for my neice while I was going through the registration process...however if the child's parents need to claim child care element then you HAVE to register...you may choose to register to give yourself some protection should anything ever go wrong etc.:)

We were told on our induction that only grandparents were ok to not be registered for minding - otherwise you needed to be registered if you were to be "rewarded" for your minding :panic:

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:09 PM
The wording is close blood relative...neices, nephews, grandchildren are fine...your on a fine line with cousins & need to prove a close relationship within the family which can prove tricky...& are usually required to register in these instances.:)

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:10 PM
PS if you register you also have to care for other children & not just your relative.:)

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Thats worth knowing then - will save boxofkittens registering if she's only wanting to mind the one. This sites just ace for all the info. :D

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:17 PM
:blush: I only know because it was always on the cards that i woulod care for my neice...from the time her Mum became pregnant...I decided to register as I wanted to feel protected & as I'd looked into childminding to see if i had to register & decided it was forr me! It was handy though as i could earn while I was registered...cept her Mum couldn't claim tax credits child care element until I was reigistered...in the end it was just as well I did register as it was a nighmare minding for family!:rolleyes:

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry Blaze but when you say nightmare - is that because of family minding? :)

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah...they were fine with payment, but the politics was really difficult to deal with!:( They also didn't treat me with much respect because I was a relative things were taken for granted etc:angry:

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Ths is whats worrying me - I have my new niece starting Sept / Oct & I know everybody says DON'T DO FAMILY - but its kind of been decided without even talking to me:panic:

Any way - just oping it works out :)

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:33 PM
The only advice I can give is to be ultra professional & make it very clear from the beginning that they will be treated the same as everyone else & you expect to be treated as any other childcare professional.:)

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I will certainly try :panic:

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Try not to worry..it can work out...just in the majority of cases it doesn't..just like everything though there are exceptions, so make things clear from the beginning & don't be walked over because it's family! :)

boxofkittens
27-05-2008, 08:50 AM

I was hoping someone would say this.. I just tried to ring the helpline to get a definitive answer but it's not open yet! Thanks Blaze, good to hear from someone who's been in the same boat. When you say about the child care element, does that mean tax credits? So if my sis is claiming that then I do have to register?

Also what do you mean about HAVING to look after other children and not just my niece? Can't each childminder decide how many children they look after? :(

Noodles
27-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I was hoping someone would say this.. I just tried to ring the helpline to get a definitive answer but it's not open yet! Thanks Blaze, good to hear from someone who's been in the same boat. When you say about the child care element, does that mean tax credits? So if my sis is claiming that then I do have to register?

Also what do you mean about HAVING to look after other children and not just my niece? Can't each childminder decide how many children they look after? :(

Your sis will still be able to claim child tax credits but will not be able to claim for the child care element so her childcare costs will not be paid unless you register.
You will also have to prove that you are available to look after other children who are not related to you whether it be full/part time or before after school care.
Tax credits will not pay childcare out to a person who is registered solely to care for a relative.
Also the care must take place in your own home and not the childs.:)

boxofkittens
27-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Your sis will still be able to claim child tax credits but will not be able to claim for the child care element so her childcare costs will not be paid unless you register.
You will also have to prove that you are available to look after other children who are not related to you whether it be full/part time or before after school care.
Tax credits will not pay childcare out to a person who is registered solely to care for a relative.
Also the care must take place in your own home and not the childs.:)

Thanks for this littlecherubs... does that mean I HAVE to look after other children as well if I am registered then? :panic: And if I don't register my sis has to cover the childcare costs herself - I thought that was what happened anyway?! Sorry if I am being ignorant, just assumed all parents paid for their own childcare. Or is it just the childcare element of tax credits? (where is the confused smiley?!)
Really appreciate this input, thank you!

Noodles
27-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for this littlecherubs... does that mean I HAVE to look after other children as well if I am registered then? :panic: And if I don't register my sis has to cover the childcare costs herself - I thought that was what happened anyway?! Sorry if I am being ignorant, just assumed all parents paid for their own childcare. Or is it just the childcare element of tax credits? (where is the confused smiley?!)
Really appreciate this input, thank you!

You have to prove that you are available to look after others but if you are advertising and dont get any enquiries or people who want to use you then that is not your fault as long as you are making an effort to find other mindees.
And as you say above yes if you do not register your sis will not get any help with childcare costs if you care for your niece.
Make sure your sis is definately eligable to claim the childcare element first as a lot of people beleive that they can claim it and are them dissapointed when they find out that they earn too much and get nowhere near the maximum amount.:)

Blaze
27-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Little Cherubs seems to have answered all your questions:thumbsup:

Just thought I should point out that if your registered your also gonna have to follow the EYFS.:)

boxofkittens
28-05-2008, 06:41 PM
FWIW thought I would update in case anyone else is in the same situation looking for answers on here.

I rang the NCMA - they said I didn't have to be registered to look after my niece, but if I did then my sis could claim the childcare element etc as Blaze said.

Then I rang Ofsted to double check with them, only to be told that I DO have to be registered.

Would be great if these two bodies would speak to each other and give out the same answers!

Anyway, I think I will register just to ensure I am covered. Thanks again for all the input :)

Blaze
28-05-2008, 06:48 PM
LOL...welcome to the world of childminding!:rolleyes:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Setting+up+as+a+childminder?opendocument#Not%20Reg ister

&

http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage9df2c089.aspx?Map=5F2DF3B8497FBDEBDF00C 97C567ECA9D

Just so you know!;)