PDA

View Full Version : nappy changing at dining table

moogster1a
06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I've just posted this on Mumsnet but wanted your opinions too!

Just got back from a playgroup. Loads of toys out etc. and at one end a long table with little chairs. parents / carers sit here whilst kids rage about; halfway through session lo's sit at the table and have toast, melon, teacakes etc. Then carers can sit back down to the serious business of drinking coffee whilst keeping an eye on kids.
One woman insists on changing nappies whilst sat at this table. She drapes lo across her knee, pulls off bottom half of clothes and changes.
AIBU to think this is a bit minging. Admittedly I've never seen her doing it with a pooey nappy, but I just don't think a urine soaked nappy should be put on the table while she gets the new one on . Also, she's a childminder and I'm not sure parents would be happy about seeing their lo in a head down backwards uncomfortable position whilst their bits are flashed at everyone sat there ( nt CM bashing, BTW; I'm one myself..)
There is a loo available with changing mat, which I pointed out to her a few weeks ago, and she just said thanks and has carried on.
AIBU to tell her to use the loo in a more forceful tone or is this acceptable?

miffy
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't think it's acceptable - very unhygenic for a start not to mention the lo's privacy! I'm surprised no-one else has said anything.

Miffy xx

kindredspirits
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM
i wouldn't be too impressed - perhaps she could do it in a corner of the room rather than at the table where kids/parents eat.
if she's minding lots of kids she may not like the idea of having to go into a toilet to change the LO - as she wouldn't be able to see the other kids.

Blaze
06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree with Miffy!

rickysmiths
06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
The changing on the knee is quite common and it depends how you were taught when you had your children. I know 2 cms who change nappies this way with no problems.

Changing the nappy right next to the table los are eating at and putting a nappy on the table, no, no, no. It should be done in a discreet corner to give the lo privacy and all debris bagged direct into the bag.

I would have a word with the people who run the toddler group and ask them to have a word.

sharonmanc
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I change nappies on my knee at home, but not in public, I think this is unacceptable, mainly due to privacy and hygiene.

Some baby changing facilities I will not use, they are disgusting, but even so, i think maybe say something to those that organise the group, maybe so they can put up posters about using the changing facilities.

moogster1a
06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
She wouldn't even have to leave the other ones alone as she comes with her assistant.

babs
06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't change lo's at the table have changed them in main room when I've taken 4 and had 2 babies with me but in far corner away from everyone. now then can all walk I take them all into changing room with me was hard task at first as I felt like I was nagging them come away from toilet don't put your hands in there etc. but now they all stand nicely .nf wait their turn .... playgroup I go too has other childminders and sure start workers and we sometimes ask them to keep eye out as all crb checked and the children know them.

mama2three
06-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I would have a word with those running the group - poor child should have his dignity preserved however old he is.

ajs
06-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I change little ones on my knee if the nappy is wet not soiled but I do not put the nappy on the table nor do I flash the little ones bits anywhere. It is a little inappropriate

Playmate
06-02-2012, 01:14 PM
The changing on the knee is quite common and it depends how you were taught when you had your children. I know 2 cms who change nappies this way with no problems.

Changing the nappy right next to the table los are eating at and putting a nappy on the table, no, no, no. It should be done in a discreet corner to give the lo privacy and all debris bagged direct into the bag.

I would have a word with the people who run the toddler group and ask them to have a word.

I agree with Ricky, personally I don't cope very well with this method, but sometimes for little ones I have done it this way if I have forgotten my mat (don't like usung communial ones). However this would be done in a private corner and not near a food table!

You say you have put this on mumsnet, please tell me you didn't mention that she was a CM, especially in a public area? :panic:

Sunflowers
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd have a word with the organisers! its not on IMHO a lot disgusting esp placing the nappy on the table! does she use gloves or go wash he hands afterwards either?

The Playgroup i occaisionally make it to have a changing corner, tucked away with a mat and disposable covers for the mat available and even a little nappy bucket. maybe this playgroup could invest in a similar set up?

The Juggler
06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
no not acceptable. there was a group of minders years ago at a group I went to sat in a row of chairs never moved from them except when the tea trolley came in :laughing::laughing:

they just changed the babies on teh floor at their feet, no changing mat or anything on carpet where other children played :panic::panic:

moogster1a
06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
She doesn't wash hands afterwards and there's a perfectly good changing room just outside the rom. he comes with her assistant so as far as I'm concerned it's laziness

miffy
06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
She doesn't wash hands afterwards and there's a perfectly good changing room just outside the rom. he comes with her assistant so as far as I'm concerned it's laziness

That is just disgusting.

Miffy xx

Carol Raeburn
06-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I would have a word with those running the group - poor child should have his dignity preserved however old he is.

I agree with mama2three and the fact that they do not wash their hands after is not very good practice after all we advise children to wash thier hands once been to the toilet adults should be leading by example. :panic: scary

betty boop
06-02-2012, 10:24 PM
not good me thinks :panic:

NicoleW
06-02-2012, 10:33 PM
That is disgusting!

I give all my LO's a wipe to ''wash their hands'' after they've had a nappy change.

Two of them just eat the wet wipes, but the thought is there I'm sure lol.

EmmaReed84
07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
I would take the dettol anti-bac wipes then when it comes to sitting down for the kids to eat I would say "oh hang on (child), let me wipe this yucky table, get all them disgusting nappy germs off" then give the CM a swift dissapproving look...

onceinabluemoon
07-02-2012, 07:16 AM
I used to change my own children on my lap. It's the way the midwife taught me (my oldest os over 30...) but i don't tend to change mindees that way and certainly wouldn't do it anywhere near food - yeuk!

But, I don't think it's your place to tell the minder off either as you have no authority there and she could simply tell you to bog off which could escalate to a confrontation. I would have a word with the organiser and explain to her how you feel, get others who feel the same to talk to her/him and get her to deal with it (dont be fobbed off, if the organiser seems to not care go to superior etc),