PDA

View Full Version : Soap flake modelling

Tatia
23-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, oh, oh, oh! This was fantastic! Several of us had teacher training days so we had older kids at our drop-in group today. We did soap flake modelling and it was such a hit. You can buy boxes of soap flakes at Tesco for about £1.16 each and then you mix it all up with a bit of water and some paint or food colouring (gonna use essential oils next time, too) and then you can sculpt with it. I'd recommend washable paint as food colouring can stain. It was lovely and sticky and kids and adults all had a great time with it. I've got pics as soon as hubby gets home to download them from camera. I don't know how!:blush: Apparently, it dries really hard. I was thinking it'd be nice to cut out shapes with cookie cutters and let the kids make a pretty box of hand soaps for Christmas gifts or Mother's Day or something like that. Jacky (who has signed up here but never posted - come on, Jacky, say hello!) has done this before (it was her brilliant idea) and said they made paper weights out of it. In fact, I may think of something very sterotypical (like tools or trucks and cars) for Father's Day soaps.

miffy
23-05-2008, 12:21 PM
What a brilliant idea Tatia - thanks for sharing

Can't wait to see the pics

Jacky - come and say hello - I like your ideas :thumbsup:

miffy xx

Polly2
23-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Thats great!

I might give this a go - sounds like an outdoor activity ha!!

How much water so you use to soap flakes?

sandy
23-05-2008, 12:23 PM
What a great idea Tatia

I keep meaning to get one of those " Tuff Spot" builders trays. This idea would work really well in that I reckon.

One more item to add to internet shopping delivery now !!

Thanks

Sandy

ajs
23-05-2008, 12:27 PM
fantastic i am off to asda later

how much water to soap did you use

Tatia
23-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I watched Jacky make it and she just eyeballed the water, adding a little and squidging it together til it got to the right consitency. It should be pliable but not soggy. And don't forget if you're adding paint that it will count as liquid so be sparing. I don't think she used more than half a mug full of water per box, probably not even that much. You just want it to come together and stick.

Tatia
23-05-2008, 12:39 PM
By the way, Jacky is legend. She was the first childminder to get Outstanding in our area and I'm very pleased and proud that she has started coming to our group. :clapping:

Pudding Girl
23-05-2008, 01:30 PM
This is the stuff I was wanting the recipe for, I found it in the end, so will go and find the link :)

angeldelight
23-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that

Angel xx

miffy
23-05-2008, 09:45 PM
By the way, Jacky is legend. She was the first childminder to get Outstanding in our area and I'm very pleased and proud that she has started coming to our group. :clapping:

You'll have to try and persuade her to join us then :)

miffy xx

sue32
23-05-2008, 09:46 PM
it sound like you had fun. How much water did you mixed the the soap flakes

katickles
23-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Great idea there - thanks :)

avril
24-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I love doing this, I went on a training course messy play and they called it snowdough. I use it every winter with the children to make snowmen adding a little hat, scarf, twigs for arms etc... They love it and I enjoy it too :thumbsup:

hello kitty
24-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm going to show my ignorance here but are soap flakes detergent? Are they OK for children with excema to use or is it too harsh?

Tatia
24-05-2008, 03:43 PM
We used a brand called Granny's and it said on the back it's very mild. I am no expert on exzema or other skin conditions so I can't advise. I have one child with exzema and just always clear activities with his mother first. I'd say talk to the parents or possible you are in a better postion to decide that than I am, if you have firsthand expereince or training, which I don't.:)

Avril, I am so envisioning an entire ice castle and snow city!!! Awesome!

ajs
24-05-2008, 03:51 PM
my goodness the soap flakes were hard to get hold of
i tried asda
tescos
home bargains
yorkshire trading

and HOORAY
i got them in wilkinson's

hubby and i had so many arguements as he said i was looking in the wrong place (washing powders) and that's why i couldn't find it he said i should look in soap duh what does he know
of course it's washing powder and that's exactly where i found it eventually

miffy
24-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that Mandy - I'll try Wilko's tomorrow :)

miffy xx

ajs
24-05-2008, 04:03 PM
good luck though miffy
how was your first day in the new job

miffy
24-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll add on the other thread

miffy xx

miffy
25-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I got my soap flakes in Wilkos today - thanks Mandy for that tip saved me a lot of messing about

Guess what we'll be doing next week?

miffy xx

ajs
26-05-2008, 07:44 AM
i'll upload an instructon sheet sarah edwards sent me when i have her permission to share it.

miffy
26-05-2008, 08:22 AM
That will be good Mandy

I'm bound to get it wrong :laughing:

miffy xx

mum2two
28-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Probably a silly question, but I was going to do this this afternoon, making soaps for fathers day.

If you add food colouring or paint, then when it's used, wont you just get food colouring or paint on yourself...?

Just don't want anyone using it, then being covered blue or something... :blush:

Kelly x

carolinel
28-05-2008, 12:01 PM
sounds great - do you have any pictures yet?

venus89
29-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Sounds great to me - I'll be using that x (NOT with the babies, btw! With my kids....)

Tatia
30-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Caroline, here's the link to thread with pictures:
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9679

If you add food colouring or paint, then when it's used, wont you just get food colouring or paint on yourself...?

It's not a particularly great soap, I wouldn't use it myself. But it would be a cute display. I wouldn't want to use food colouring for fear of staining but water-based paint will wash away. The lather (not much of it, really) will be blue (or green or yellow or red) but will rinse right off down the drain.

Saz
30-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for this idea, just looked at the photos on the other thread and they look fab!

maple
31-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I did this in the garden on Thursady with my own kids 8,6,3 and they loved it. T:thumbsup: hey had great fun. like the idea odf making soaps. thanks

manjay
07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
My dd had a practice with this yesterday. I am doing it on Monday for my NVQ assessment so wanted to make sure it works. Our theme at the moment is Elmer so we had a go at using cookie cutters. It worked fab but don't forget to roll it on greaseproof paper

Tatia
07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I love it! Where did you get the elephant cookie cutter? That's really brilliant.

manjay
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I love it! Where did you get the elephant cookie cutter? That's really brilliant.

Not sure really. It is in a big set I have had for ages. Probably from Lakeland Ltd

angeldelight
09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
That looks great Amanda

Good luck with it today too

Angel xx