PDA

View Full Version : Own child sick

chezzagriff
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I will have 2 under 5s when I start childminding later on in the year so I was wondering if one of them was to fall ill what would I have to do?My policy says sick children have to stay off (depending on illness depends on length of time) but my husband would be able to look after our child upstairs whilst I childmind downstairs.
Thanks

Zoomie
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I suppose it depends what they are ill with.

If it were D&V, you would have to close, but if it was something else, then you would need to decided on a case by case basis.

In the past when my DS has been ill (high temp), I've stayed open as he is older and okay just to lie in my bed upstairs and be regularly checked up on.

But when my DD was similarly ill, I had to close cos she just wanted to be cuddled all the time, which meant I wouldn't play or attend to the needs of the other children.

Some days I've called parents and told them DD is poorly and some have sent and some haven't - so I've had a quieter day and the TV tends to be on a lot on those type of days.

chezzagriff
05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
How would fees work though as just say if they had chicken pox and I were to let parents know and they decided to keep their child off it would be their choice but made as a result of my situation.

VINASOL
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
How would fees work though as just say if they had chicken pox and I were to let parents know and they decided to keep their child off it would be their choice but made as a result of my situation.

Well you could say to the parent that your child has 'whatever illness' but they will remain upstairs with dad and that the likelihood of their child getting infected would be minimal. However, SHOULD their child catch said illness, they would need to be kept at home (because you could not confine them like you did and therefore infectious to other minded children) and 100% fees would still be payable and point them to your sickness policy.

Ultimately it is your business and your choice, but you just need to be absolutely clear with parents - some won't mind it, some will! :rolleyes:

winstonian
05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I have 3 children aged 5, 6 and 7 and so far haven't had to shut when they've been ill. They have been quarantined upstairs - separate bathroom, or packed off to Grandmas or Auntys, I have told the other parents what they've had and what measures I've taken and they've all still sent their children. It does take a bit of working out sometimes and I am lucky to have great family near by

kellib
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I had to shut for 2 days last week when my son came down with a sickness bug, even if I'd kept him away from the children I look after I don't think I could physically look after any children as I'd been up ALL night with my son!

Another time my son was off school with a bad cough, I told parents and it was their choice whether to send their LO's or not, one family did and one family didn't.