PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Expenses

lorettacritchet
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi, although I have asked this question to my accountant, she hasn't replied and so I would rather find out information from people who will know better than her...

We want to convert the garage to a playroom to give me more space for the business - does anyone know how much of this I can, if any, claim through the business? The room will be obviously used for childminding but I am sure at the same time my little one will use it when I am off on hols/break etc so it wont be classed as solely for childminding.

rickysmiths
05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm sure Mr Ancovy will give some advise on these as it is quite complex.

We had a massive extension done in 2010 and I have been advised although I now have a playroom that it is not worth claiming for the building itself. However I have just claimed over £1000 for all the new bookcases, storage boxes, picture frames, blinds, etc. I have also claimed for the hire of a Porta Kabin from which I worked for 4 months while the work was going on and a metal storage bin which I used to store all my cm resources.

lorettacritchet
05-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah the garage funnily enough is not connected in anyway to the house, the garage is at the end of the driveway (which is on the side of the house). If you come out of the side door of the garage, you walk onto the patio and you need to walk to the kitchen back door?
Don't mind too much if not claiming for actual building changes etc, but definetely would like to know if can claim for the bookcases etc....
I wouldn't need to claim for porta kabin as my living room would still be used and any kids in care wouldn't be affected.

I'm sure Mr Ancovy will give some advise on these as it is quite complex.

We had a massive extension done in 2010 and I have been advised although I now have a playroom that it is not worth claiming for the building itself. However I have just claimed over £1000 for all the new bookcases, storage boxes, picture frames, blinds, etc. I have also claimed for the hire of a Porta Kabin from which I worked for 4 months while the work was going on and a metal storage bin which I used to store all my cm resources.

rickysmiths
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah the garage funnily enough is not connected in anyway to the house, the garage is at the end of the driveway (which is on the side of the house). If you come out of the side door of the garage, you walk onto the patio and you need to walk to the kitchen back door?
Don't mind too much if not claiming for actual building changes etc, but definetely would like to know if can claim for the bookcases etc....
I wouldn't need to claim for porta kabin as my living room would still be used and any kids in care wouldn't be affected.

Of course you can claim for any new equipment.

Did you get mt PM?

lorettacritchet
05-02-2012, 02:51 PM
No :(

Did you get mt PM?[/QUOTE]

rickysmiths
05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
No :(

Did you get mt PM?[/QUOTE]

I will try again! A little box should pop up while you are on line telling you have a message. If you look at the top of the forum on the left you will see 'User cv'. If you click on that it will take you to your profile on the left there will be a list of options one of which is messages, if you click on that it will open any messages.

Living where you do you can't be that far from my accountant who is great. I have used her for years, knew her from church years before she became my accountant. She specializes in accounts for musicians and other small self employed people. She is used to me asking difficult questions and is very tolerant. I submitted my info to her on Monday night for my Tax Return :blush: She was back to me on Tuesday am with how much to pay and it was all sorted in plenty of time.

Having said that I was really behind this year and have in fact virtually completed my accounts for 2011-12 and will send them to her in April/May :thumbsup:

MrAnchovy
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
You can't claim for any building work, but you can claim for an increased proportion of your mortgage interest, council tax, home insurance etc. - talk to your accountant about this.

You can claim annual investment allowance for any equipment or storage used exclusively for childminding (storing toys etc) but you can't claim for carpet, curtains, blinds sofas etc because that is covered by your 10% wear and tear allowance.

You really should be asking your accountant about all of this - it is what you pay them for. If you find it difficult talking to your accountant, get a different one.

lorettacritchet
06-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah that's exactly why i am looking for another accountant, hence one of my other threads lol