PDA

View Full Version : Book corner

Twinkles
04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
We've decided our playroom needs a revamp and as part of this I would like a book corner.
At the moment we have several shelves , boxes and bookcases full of books but no real cosy corner for the children to read them.
DH is going to make some new book shelves at child height and MIL will make some scatter cushions.

However, we have one child in particular who is obsessed with books and will completely empty the book box and scatter them around the playroom , hall , kitchen etc !

It drives me crazy ! I think children should have free access to books ( of course ) but it's not just the fact that I have to tidy them up constantly but I do hate to see lovely books thrown around and trodden on.

Not all of our books are new in fact many come from jumble sales or charity shops so it's not the money factor of replacing ruined books.

What I want to ask is those of you with book corners. How do you stop this from happening ?
She is only 18m so explaining and making her help tidy up seems to be no deterrent whatsoever !

nancienoodles
04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi Twinkles. I know exactly what you mean about the book issue! I have a 12mnth old & 15mnth old at the moment & try as I might the books end up all over the place. The only solution I have come up with is to put about 15 books in a box in the story corner for free access. I rotate these books often and keep the rest on the toy shelves or in story sacks with toys etc. Makes it a bit easier to tidy up. Your shelves & cushions sound great, good luck with that.

karensmart4
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I have just revamped my playroom and have got a cosy book corner, I bought a nice rug and some cushions and I have a wicker basket with a variety of books in.

I plan on changing the books every few weeks or so to keep the children interested.

The books that I read to the children are in a book rack on the wall or in story sacks.

I was going to get a book stand but it was out of stock last week, the basket is working fine for now :)

I don't think there is a way of stopping a child from scattering books or toys so I would just keep them to a minimum.

Mouse
04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I limit the number of books available when I have mainly little ones. We have hundreds of books and they'd happily empty them all off the book cases!

Now I have one like this :

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/home%20&%20interior%20magazines/Sling-Bookcase/10000002087

I put on a variety of books and the los have free access to them. They still get the experience of emptying out a bookcase, but in a much more controlled way!

AgentTink
04-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I used to have a book tub but found he same happened that the children would get them all out as they always seemed to want what was at the bottom.

I then found this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20135300/ book shelf that is my waist height and put all the books on this, and now find the children only get a few out at a time and like to put them back too!

It was quite deep which meant that you can store two rows of books in each square. I had room left to use the bottom two square as storage for all of the ict toys too, which meant more room to play.

karensmart4
04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I limit the number of books available when I have mainly little ones. We have hundreds of books and they'd happily empty them all off the book cases!

Now I have one like this :

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/home%20&%20interior%20magazines/Sling-Bookcase/10000002087

I put on a variety of books and the los have free access to them. They still get the experience of emptying out a bookcase, but in a much more controlled way!

This is very much like the one I wanted but mine was from Argos

Mouse
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
This is very much like the one I wanted but mine was from Argos

They have them here as well. I got mine from Littlewoods in the sale and only paid about £17 for it.

http://www.very.co.uk/ladybird-butterfly-sling-bookcase/833989342.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f2249%2fq%2fbookca se&trail=2249

Suebb1
04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I just have a couple of small wicker baskets, which works well . x

Wendybird
04-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I have a tidy books bookcase - but if I were to do it again I would do this instead (cheaper and will last longer than the MDF that my tidybooks is made of!): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GcG6yWhIr6Y/TrCOlaAfsuI/AAAAAAAAAkc/ev2ey24QSI4/s1600/DSC_0442.JPG

Enjoy the revamp!

Pinkrose
04-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I bought a book sling, as it is perfect for the two 18 month olds I have.
The first week I had it they emptied it out every day!!! But they have lost interest in that game now as it is there every day. I really like the slings, they don't hold loads of books I probably have about 15 on it at a time, I rotate the books every couple of weeks in line with their interests

Bluebell
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
so hard to control damage of books - I love to see books respected! I'm not too worried if the damage is because they are enjoying the book and they are just a bit boisterous or over zealous but I do hate to see them thrown about! I guess maybe just moving 18 month old away from books or taking them off her as she removes them and gently explaining they are to look at not throw! Hopefully the message will get across. I have a limited amount out - toddler books and ones that they choose themselves from the library. I rotate them and I think if there were some special ones or more fragile ones I would remove them completely and get them down for a group story. I used to sell books and so I have a plastic book rack - its not particularly attractive but its stable, functional and child height. Love the pic that wendybird put up thats lovely - where was it from?
My corner has a cd player for nursery rhymes and story cds. 2 little chairs and a canopy so the children can shut themselves away if they want to. I would like to get floor cushions and make it more snugly but haven't got round to it yet as there always seems so many improvements I want to making all the time! I've seen some dog cushions that are quite cheap but would have to get some other material to cover them!!

Trouble
04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I also have some books in a box for all time use then the main story one i take of the big bookshelf (which they play next to but dont touch):thumbsup: