PDA

View Full Version : Home educating and childminding

NicoleW
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Can this be done?

I'm considering taking my 5 year old out of school to home educate through a variety of reasons.

I was originally told by another CM that I couldn't do both as Ofsted will assume I couldn't both teach my 5 year old and look after the mindees so they'd end up being neglected?

Can anyone shed some light or if anyone childminds and home educates to offer some advice :)

kindredspirits
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
i home ed my almost 5 year old -and mind and ofsted know and don't care. the only thing to remember is that he will take up an early years space until the august AFTER his 5th birthday.

Tam's Tribe
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I have Home Educated my 7 yr old (Year 2) since Sept 2011 and my 11 year old (Year 7) since December 2011. My children are doing great, we are structured and they are so much happier!!

Home Educating has actually improved my childminding service and my LOs LOVE having my boys home all day.

I did speak to my mindees parents before I took the decision to pull my children out of school to make sure I accounted for all their concerns and queries but they have been very supportive and agree my childminding service has just got better.

I personally think that HE and Childminding compliments each other . . . best decision I have made!!!

Good Luck!!

sarah707
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I have a few friends who home ed - the trick is to be really organised and it's amazing how much learning you can fit into the day.

They waste soooo much time at school :(

There are lots of useful websites if you do a search. Good luck! :D

sharonmanc
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I will be home edding my almost 3 year old, while i childmind, i have no intention of sending her to school. I may be pulling my almost 10 year old son out of school too in the near future.

As an ex teacher I know myself it is immpossible to give children you teach the attention and education they deserve.

NicoleW
04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Brilliant thank you.

I am going to speak to the school and see if we can do part time school and part time HE to see how it works for us before I pull her out altogether.

sharonmanc
04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Nicole a good way to try and sway the school is to remind them they still get finding for her place whether she is part or full time, and also t get round their attendance figures that can mark her as educated off site those days she is home.