PDA

View Full Version : Yay found a next step.....

karensmart4
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I have a 3 yr old and she is VERY bright, she has known the alphabet since she was 2 yrs old.... you could muddle all the letters up and she could tell you each one correctly so it wasn't by memory ABC etc, she does really know them.

She can also count to 20 and recognise the numbers, she recognises all the children's names and gets them right 100% of the time including similar names such as Lilia, Laila, Amelia and Alesha, Harley and Harry

She knows all of our stories and Rhymes, knows all of her colours and apart from it being a pain that she jumps in before others get a chance (something we are working on) she is a pleasure to work with.

BUT we were making Chinese Lanterns the other day and she couldn't work out how to put some sticky tape on the right way up ...... now I shouldn't have smiled but it made me think... good we have a next step, something to work on yay :laughing:

samb
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow yes she does sound very advanced! Must have been quite a moment to find something you could help her with!

Zoomie
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a similar mindee, who was 3 last month.

However, I feel that his physical development is not as advanced, and we have been working on getting dressed / coats / shoes / pedalling / etc and also fine motor skills - using scissors / mouse control / hama beads etc.

His parents have had his learning journal for about a month already. I am really keen to get it back so that I can focus properly on his next steps as opposed to the general ones I have outlined above.

karensmart4
04-02-2012, 04:10 PM
This lil one can dress herself, go up to the toilet by herself..... she would do everything herself if she had her way even run the place :rolleyes:

It was good to find something she found difficult (that sounds bad I didn't mean it bad though)

I don't want her to get bored here or when she starts school, most of her development is in the 40-60+ range so we do lots of cooking and lots of physical activities.

It looks as if her little brother is going the same way too, he is not quite 2 and can recite every one of our nursery rhymes and sing every song that we do, he only needs to hear them once or twice :eek:
Bless him, I changed his soiled nappy and he said, "sorry Karen"

Maza
05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
If you haven't already, try and get a copy of the publication 'Letters and Sounds'. This will give you some ideas for developing phonic awareness at different levels. I have taught children like your mindee who have a great sight vocabulary and can remember words that you have told them just once. I generally find that they need to work on phonic skills in order to decode words for themselves independently, as recognising the alphabet is just one of the many skills needed for reading and spelling.

karensmart4
05-02-2012, 01:25 PM
If you haven't already, try and get a copy of the publication 'Letters and Sounds'. This will give you some ideas for developing phonic awareness at different levels. I have taught children like your mindee who have a great sight vocabulary and can remember words that you have told them just once. I generally find that they need to work on phonic skills in order to decode words for themselves independently, as recognising the alphabet is just one of the many skills needed for reading and spelling.

Thank you Maza, yes I do have 'Letters and Sounds' but have been told by my DO not to do too much as this is down to the school, I can only do pre-phonics and she sails through everything we do.
I might ask for a meeting with the reception class teachers of the school that she will be moving up to, and see what they say as they will have a better idea than my DO. If you hadn't posted your reply I wouldn't have thought about that so thank you again.