PDA

View Full Version : seems so expensive

JCrakers
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Ive just quoted a family for afterschool care for her two children. Just Tuesdays for 3 hrs afterschool. I charge £3.50 an hour but because she has two children it works out at £21 for the session. If you look at it monthly is £84 which to me seems a lot of money to pay just for just 3hrs a week :blush:...I feel a bit awful charging that much. :(

BuggsieMoo
03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Why not look at it as 6 hours as week as you are charging for 2 lots of 3 hours - if this was 2 different parents bringing in £40ish pound a month it would not look so expensive to you.

If it really bothers you, why dont you charge £3.50 for the first child and £3.00 for the second an hour as a sibling discount?

BuggsieMoo xx

nic t
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Don't feel bad, your fees are your fees!

I charge £32 for 2 siblings after school and I have them 4 times a week.

It is what it is!

sarahjane
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a family of 4 children for 2 hours after school 2 days a week, my hourly rate is £4 so this works out at £32 per day. I did think about discount but as it's only 2 days a week and work is very short I decided against it.

bandlady
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
My fees would be £15.00 per child per session as I charge a set fee for three hours after school care - so personally I think you are not charging enough!

Denise

jane5
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
That isnt expensive, and I wouldnt give her discount.

It is only costing her £84 per month to be able to go to work and earn £xxx.

Just think about the parents who are paying for 2 children full time :eek:

rickysmiths
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
My fees would be £15.00 per child per session as I charge a set fee for three hours after school care - so personally I think you are not charging enough!

Denise

I do this as well. :thumbsup:

JCrakers
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your replies...feel better :D Ive been charging these fees for ages but when someone has 2 kids it does seem a lot....shes ok about paying it though but just felt a bit bad.....

Goatgirl
03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi :),
I wouldn't feel guilty about this at all. you are enabling the parent to earn their living for a bargain price :).

Personally I wouldn't take them on as it would be hard to fill the other spaces: most parents want all week round here, so I'd potentially be limiting my numbers. I have one little one for fewer than the available hours and charge an enhanced rate accordingly: £5 instead of £3.75! I need to make a living from a limited number of spaces and I explain this to parents :thumbsup:

hope you resist your guilt feelings,
best wishes,
wendy :)

Pipsqueak
03-02-2012, 05:54 PM
But you are worth it as a quality, flexible professional childcare provider - AREN'T YOU.

This is what you have to remember - you are not a second rate provider, you are not a babysitter - you are a professional who is working to earn a living.

Stop feeling guilty and remember you provide value for money.

Tealady
04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Our after-school club is cheaper than me but it closes at 5.30pm and only offers a snack.

I however offer a snack & proper tea (not a full dinner but something quite substantial) and am open until 6.00pm but will do occasional care to a later time if needed.

I may be more expensive but I feel that I am better value and that is what you are doing too.

ziggy
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I found out last summer other minders here were charging £3.50 per hour or £10 a session

So in September i put my fees up to £3.50 per hour. I dont provide a meal just fruit when we get in then if they are still here at 4.30 they get beans/cheese/spaghetti on toast

I think schoolies can be hard work plus for first two years they finish at 2pm so that means i cant go anywhere with little ones

Playmate
04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
My after school rate is £18 per session and both my after schoolers have siblings who are under 5 doing 3 full days, so they pay alot more :D