PDA

View Full Version : CAF

NicoleW
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Can anyone explain to me about the Common Assessment Framework please?

catlyn
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
this might be helpful...what is it you want to know exactly?? they are usually only used when there is multi agency involvement with a child and each agency/individual that is involved in the childs life gets invited along to meetings to contribute info about their part in the childs life/development
http://www.youngsouthampton.org/workforce/traininganddevelopment/commonassessmentframework.asp

that is a very basic explanation about a CAF by the way...it can be lot more involved than that :)

NicoleW
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I got sent out a update of details by my local NCMA and I asked what CAF stood for and got this reply

"if you do know what this is then you really need to book onto a course as this is important."

aj2579
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
oh!!! well ive never heard of it! let me know how you get on with what it is incase i need to do it to Nicole

gigglinggoblin
03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Lancashire have an online course, it was really quick and easy. Might be worth asking your council?

Gherkin
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Common Assessment Framework which helps agencies to link up when dealing with a family with a need of support/involvement.

We can ONLY do a CAF with the families permission so for instance if there is something going on at home that is effecting the child, if there are behaviour/medical issues that require input from different agencies then a CAF could be done.

It is basically so that all the different sectors involved have the same information on the child and so that in theory the family is not going to have to repeat themselves 50 times to 50 different people.

The training is useful. I have talked to one family in the past about a possible CAF but they didn't want it.

Hope that helps a little.

Pipsqueak
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I got sent out a update of details by my local NCMA and I asked what CAF stood for and got this reply

"if you do know what this is then you really need to book onto a course as this is important."

Well that is really helpful of NCMA!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Yes they are right to a degree - you do need to go on a course.. however they SHOULD be helping you reach a basic understanding of it. Thankfully you have us.

CAF has now been explained so I won't go back over, what you now need to do is refer to your local training manual and/or contact your local childcare team and ask about relevant CAF training for your area. Many places now do an online CAF training for levels 1 and 2.

catlyn
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I know someone on the Local Childrens Board and he told me that they are thinking of replacing CAF in the near future so I really wouldnt be bothering going on training for it unless you think there is a good chance you will be involved with a child who needs one. Its like everything else...they roll these things out spend thousands training people up then replace it with something new before everyone has had a chance to grasp what it was all about in the first place.

rickysmiths
03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
I do know what CAF means and how it works but have never heard of or done training on it.

I do know that it is very unlikely that a cm will ever start one.

JulieA
03-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Here we have to do Child Protection and Safeguarding training every two years. CAF is picked up in this training now, and we have example forms should we ever need to complete one, but it is usually the HV or SW that will initiate it, however a CM will be asked for their input.

Pipsqueak
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I do know what CAF means and how it works but have never heard of or done training on it.

I do know that it is very unlikely that a cm will ever start one.

Childminders can and do start them and (with proper training and confidence) have every 'chance' same as other professionals to start one.

Sunflowers
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
CAF process and forms varies from one county council to another, we're no longer on a CAF form we now have a SAF form.... Single Assesment Form
Prior to this change we used the CAF for all instances so it could be completed without parental permission.

Pauline
04-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I did a CAF online course and found it very interesting and useful.

you can see my review here and also a link to the course: http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17900

:)

singingcactus
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Childminders can and do start them and (with proper training and confidence) have every 'chance' same as other professionals to start one.

I second this. I have started one, and have been involved with talking to parents about them. It is important for ALL childminders to have an understanding of all the ways we can help our children and families.
We are uniquely placed to see our kids in all the different areas of their lives. Preschool staff see their children in one setting, teachers see the children at school. We see them at school, preschool, at our homes, out and about in the community, we see them with their parents, we see them at their clubs and we talk to all the adults the kids come into contact with there.
We learn so much about our children, we develop such close bonds with them, and those of us who are lucky enough to sustain good relationships with the parents also get to see our children outside of work hours too, and parents will chat much more honestly and openly with us.
It is so important that we have this type of training in place. Even if it is going to change, it will still be very very useful to have the knowledge there.