PDA

View Full Version : Would you charge for this?

TooEarlyForGin?
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
I have looked after two little girls (siblings) from babies. Mum is expecting with no.3 and I will be taking on the baby after maternity leave. They live in the same (very small) village as us, they have been very good customers and I am very friendly with them, although would not consider myself "a good friend".

Mum just called me in floods of tears, her husbands dad has just died, can I pick up the youngest from nursery, and get the eldest off the school bus (drops off with mine and other children so don't have to change any plans). I have said of course and sent my sincere condolences. I have already pretty much decided not to charge, although when I had to have time off earlier in the year when a close relation died, no-one offered to still pay me, so I wonder if I am (yet again) being too soft.

What would you do????/

kellib
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't charge for this, it just wouldn't sit right with me.

I refunded parents when my auntie who I was extremely close to passed away very suddenly in September, none of them refused the refund and I wouldn't use that against them if that makes sense.

Velleity
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I have not charged before. A parent accompanied her friend to a hospital to get some bad news test results. I can't charge for something like this.

dette
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
i wouldnt charge either.Had 2 after schoolies for a whole evening once while mam travelled back from a funeral and recenly watch my little mindee while mam went for an MRI scan, she was expecting to pay but i refused.Kind of thought well its not like she was earning any money .I think little things like this make people realise that you are a person as well as a business.

TooEarlyForGin?
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Its nice to know I am not the only one, I know my other half would disagree, he already says I am too soft, but I also feel it is the big difference between us and nursery's or pre-school.

I will go with my first initial feelings. Thank you.

wendywu
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
No i would not charge as its a close family member.

If it was a auntie or a more distant relative then i may have. :)

kellib
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
No i would not charge as its a close family member.

If it was a auntie or a more distant relative then i may have. :)

An auntie may be a close family member though, my auntie was like a 2nd Mum to me and I think the families I mind for just thought 'it's just an auntie' as I barely got an 'I'm sorry for your loss' from them!

The Juggler
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
i wouldn't charge hon :panic:

Tippy Toes
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I wouldnt charge. xx

winstonian
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I wouldnt charge.
Last week 1 of my little mindees was taken into hospital and his brother didnt come either, they missed 2 of their days (they only come from 4.15-6.15pm). When they came back on the third day mum paid in full but I sent 2 days back for the child who had been in hospital with a note saying that although it was normally full pay they could put it towards a treat for him and that I was glad he was better, I did keep the money for the other child though. My other half said that I was daft but I didnt feel comfortable taking it and mum called and left a lovely message.

wendywu
03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
[
QUOTE=kellib;1047645]An auntie may be a close family member though, my auntie was like a 2nd Mum to me and I think the families I mind for just thought 'it's just an auntie' as I barely got an 'I'm sorry for your loss' from them!

[/QUOTE]

Yes you are quite right.

If you know your mindees families then you get to know who they are really close to and what relatives they just send a christmas card to.

kellib
03-02-2012, 06:41 PM
[

Yes you are quite right.

If you know your mindees families then you get to know who they are really close to and what relatives they just send a christmas card to.[/QUOTE]

True, sorry if I came across snappy, it's a bit of a sore point with me right now! :)