PDA

View Full Version : advice please Potential clients visiting

aj2579
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I have parents coming out at 9am saturday morning with their 20 month old daughter, thing is they are looking for a childminder that can start minding on Monday, now this is the first full time enquiry i have had (some of you may remember last week i posted with not having much luck with families due to the size of my home) but im a bit concerned with how to go about it, i have a family day on sunday so im in London all day so i need them to make their decision and come back and sign a contract saturday or make a decision on the spot, how can i put this to them as obviously im not prepared to take on their daughter without a contract being signed so the paper work would need to be sorted on saturday. Other thing is aswell as there is no time for thier daughter to get to know me initally?

Can i also ask you as well, if you charge in advance? as a class in college we was told to make sure we charge in advance?
thanks all
adele

NicoleW
03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd get all the paperwork ready on saturday, explain to them that you'd appreciate if they got back to you as soon as possible as there is relevant paperwork to be filled out prior to starting.

You can get the paperwork out and show them, learning journals and consent forms things you are likely to get their permission for etc.

Yes always charge in advance, talk to the parent whether they would like to pay daily weekly monthly 4 weekly etc, or if you prefer them to pay in a certain way then request payment to be made on monday.

I've given some leeway to parents claiming tax credits, my mindee started this monday and I've agreed to wait until next monday for payment. This is every four weeks so the pay next week will be + 1 week to make sure they are in advance not arrears.

I'd work out all the costs before they come

Daily childminding rate
Weekly
Monthly

etc.

Good luck.

aj2579
03-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks Nicole, this is where i was worried because ive worked out their flat rate, (unsure as to costs for food etc) which is £700 for the month and this is how i would prefer to be paid, but i just cant see how this can all be put in to place on Monday, thats a fair bit of money to have upfront? i have said to them on the phone that as its such a quick turn around i would pretty much need a decision on the spot or at least within a couple of hours viewing my home, i have all the paperwork ready for them to sign, contract, hours, childs record form that they would need to fill out and permission forms, however, can i send them away with the policies and procedures with a deadline to have them signed by? and can i put a front cover with the policies that lists all the policies and procedures and then just a paragraph saying ' i have recieved, read and agreed to all the above policies and will comply with them' parents signature and childminder signature and then i have a copy of this front cover in my folder and they also have a copy of it with their copy of the policies, to save both me and the parent signing all the policies and procedures?

Sunflowers
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
by no means a complete answer but a quick thought.
If it looks like they want you could you kick mum and dad out on a walk or something sat morning? is there a local cafe they could go to to have a chat over your paperwork between themselves and leave LO with you for a quick settling session??

hope it goes well whatever happens

little chickee
03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes its short notice for them to make a descision and pay you up front before Monday but it is them who have left it til the last minute not you.

They will just have to make a quick descision and pay you the £700 in cash on Sunday night.

I would insist on all paperwork being signed and monies paid before i had the child. You can tell them that it invalidates your insurance and the terms of your registration to not have paperwork and fees paid in advance.:thumbsup:

aj2579
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
thats a good idea sunflowers there is no cafe near by but a playing field right behind me so they could take a stroll! thanks little chick i shall say that to them about the insurances etc, ive just sat and printed everything off so its all ready ive designed a front cover for the policies to save sitting and signing them all, so if they agree to all my terms and the payment and sign the contract by the time they leaving (wishful thinking, but assuming they have not got anyone else lined up due to the late notice) can i then ask them to return with the full amount either saturday evening or Sunday evening, am i right in thinking that if they dont get here to pay i refuse to have her daughter? or more like the approach of that i will take her on Monday with the understanding they return to pick her up at agreed time with the full payment? sorry for all the questions but im new and trying to get my head around all this still let alone with the short notice the parents have given me :-)

Wendybird
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree with above - they've left it really late for full-time care. Their lack of preparation does not make it your emergency. Do what you normally do - £700 is a lot of money, but it is a lot of money at any point in the month. If they haven' t saved or don't have it all in one go I would offer them weekly payments in advance until the next month, but I would ask for it up front and then offer weekly if they balk or tell you they don't have it. Good luck and be wary - if you get a bad feeling about them let it go and don't agree to something on the spot. If they want something you haven't already thought about then tell them you'll get back to them - you need to work it out / think it through etc. :thumbsup:

NicoleW
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I would insist on all paperwork being signed and monies paid before i had the child. You can tell them that it invalidates your insurance and the terms of your registration to not have paperwork and fees paid in advance.:thumbsup:

Good point I'll definately remember this one for future lol

aj2579
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
thanks for all your help ladies, i shall let you know how i get on with the parent tomorrow.

This website is a godsend, i joined when i was training and but only just really started using it, its brillant, especially for the likes of people like me that are new and need help getting started, your all stars :-)

Tatjana
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Pretty much all my mindees have been lastminute.com and have worked out just fine. They have all brought the fees with them on the morning of starting, as I requested.

What I do with the policies is give them a copy of all of them, then have a 'Policies confirmation' letter which basically lists them all and it reads along the lines of 'I have read and agree with the policies listed' which they sign and date. Ofsted were happy with this.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on!

miffy
03-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I would definitely get the month's fees up front - don't be fobbed off with excuses, no money no childcare!

Good luck hope it goes well for you

Miffy xx

samb
04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Only just seen this so bit late for me to answer, just wondered how it went?

Rubybubbles
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
how did it go?

mumto3
04-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I was wondering how it went to?