PDA

View Full Version : When would you tell parents?

flossybeth
03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
We’re in the processs of applying for our permanent residents visa for Australia – we’ve got as far as having our medicals and police checks, which means, if everything goes smoothly, we could have our visas by the end of March or April. If we are granted our visas we hope to move to Adelaide sometime in the autumn. The question is when should I let parents know – obviously the house has to go on the market and even if we don’t have a “for sale” sign parents could still find out. For me I feel that I should let parents know with February invoices but my husband thinks we should wait until we have our visas granted, which also makes sense but gives parents potentially a couple of months less to find alternative arrangements. I’d also like to stop childminding at the end of July (when my OFSTED and insurances are due for renewal), and since I’d only have one through the holidays anyway it seems silly to renew for 6 weeks.

When would you tell parents? Give them as much notice as possible or leave it till we defintiley know we’re going and hope no-one sees the house on Rightmove before then….?

Thanks, Jay

QualityCare
03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I would tell them as soon as you get the visa's as it is definite that you will be going then at some stage.

kellib
03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I would tell them as soon as you get the visa's as it is definite that you will be going then at some stage.

That's what I would do too

madmamma
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I too would wait until the visa's are confirmed, presuming you won't be putting the house on the market until then anyway.

As soon as you let parents know, be prepared for some or all of them to leave as soon as they have found someone suitable, which in reality could be within a couple of weeks. So whilst you are being very considerate of how this is going to affect them at the moment, they may well leave you a lot earlier than July, with no income.

Fantastic opportunity for you though :thumbsup:, Australia passed me by due to my circumstances at the time, and now I'm too old :(

rickysmiths
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
If you are not planning to leave until the autumn then if you still need the work I wouldn't say a thing. Even if they find out you are selling the house they don't know that you aren't moving locally.

Sorry this may seem hard but with a business head you have to do this if you still need to work. You have a sufficient notice period in your contracts and frankly the parents wouldn't think twice about only giving you the 4 weeks notice or less sometimes!

If you are not bothered about the work then tell them now and don't be surprised if some or all of them leave fairly soon.

What happens though if something changes in the next six months and you delay your departure or decide not to go?

I know in all the excitement now that doesn't seem an option but life has a habit of throwing things at us when we least expect it.

wendywu
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
If you are not planning to leave until the autumn then if you still need the work I wouldn't say a thing. Even if they find out you are selling the house they don't know that you aren't moving locally.

Sorry this may seem hard but with a business head you have to do this if you still need to work. You have a sufficient notice period in your contracts and frankly the parents wouldn't think twice about only giving you the 4 weeks notice or less sometimes!

If you are not bothered about the work then tell them now and don't be surprised if some or all of them leave fairly soon.

What happens though if something changes in the next six months and you delay your departure or decide not to go?

I know in all the excitement now that doesn't seem an option but life has a habit of throwing things at us when we least expect it.

I agree with this, you only need to give 4 weeks notice so this is what i would do ;)

jane5
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM

I agree too. You will give them the 4 week notice as required just as they would with you.

The Juggler
03-02-2012, 05:54 PM
normally i'd say just give 4 weeks notice but in this case, if they get a whiff of you selling your house and find out why they may be so miffed with not knowing they WILL leave immediately.

Whereas if you tell them when you get the visas, explain that you need to sell the house etc, etc and will of course give them the required 4 weeks notice, they are more likely to stay I think. :)

wendywu
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Tell them that you are looking to move in the local area.

If you tell them now they will go as soon as they get other childcare. I know i would jump if a minder said well i have a space now and will not keep it until july. Your mums will not want to pay a retainer to another minder as well as pay you for childcare.

Difficult one, but you have the choice of look after them or put yourself first. :(

Trouble
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
wait just dont take anyone else on:thumbsup:

Tatjana
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't say anything until much nearer the time.

MAWI
03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I would wait until you have confirmation of visas etc..
A c/m friend of mine gave parents notice last July/August time that she would be moving this Easter, just to prepare parents and by September they had all left. She thought they would be grateful of the notice but all they actually did was panic and find alternative care.

miffy
03-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I would wait until you have confirmation of visas etc..
A c/m friend of mine gave parents notice last July/August time that she would be moving this Easter, just to prepare parents and by September they had all left. She thought they would be grateful of the notice but all they actually did was panic and find alternative care.

I would say tell them as soon as you know you are definitely going but then you qhave to be realistic that they will start looking do other childcare and will leave if they find it, like the op says.

Sometimes it is better to keep quiet and put your own interests first.

Miffy xx

Zoomie
03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
WOW, you must be so excited.

Personally, as this is something that we have looked at, I would keep quiet about your emigration.

Do you need to sell your house to fund your move, or could you move and leave your house to sell (or eventually rent it out, if it doesn't sell)?

The answer to this has a major impact on your final move date, and unfortunately the 'procedure' of house selling is so fragile, that nothing would be final, until you get to your exchange date.

flossybeth
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Thank you - you are right, I will wait. I think I'm just getting ahead of myself with all the excitement of everything that's going on.

And you're all so right about the notice parents would give!

Thanks, Jay