PDA

View Full Version : Charging for travel time

Annelize
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi fellow childminders,
Just wondering who of you start charging the minute you leave the house to do a school pick up? Specially if the journey is at least about 15 minutes or more?
I've been told that is general how most childminders do it as you would not be doing the journey if you weren't picking the kids up and it is your working time that you use to do the journey (plus these 15 minutes do add up).
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated as none of my parents have ever complaint about this however I just had an enquiry and the lady said she's never heard of a childminder doing this.
My Early Years Consultant was actually the one who told me that I should charge as it is my time.
Thanks

Sunflowers
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I charge from the minute I start getting the smaller ones ready, basically from when my actions start being for the care of that kid!

Zoomie
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM
I do a pickup from a school which means I need to leave my house 30 minutes before school finishes otherwise I can't get a parking space. I usually give my other mindees snack in the car, so we are not sat in the car 'waiting'. Alternatively, in the summer we use this 30 minutes to walk down.

I do charge this parent an extra 30 minutes to take the above into account.

I also have another school on my doorstep (3 minutes walk). I don't charge for my 3 minute walk.

Daftbat
03-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Yes I do that especially if it means a car journey to pick up - after all you are clocking up expenses. If its just a pick up from nursery which is only five minutes walk for me I just start from the actual nursery pick up time but if I was needing to do 15 mins or more journey time I start charging as soon as I pick up the car keys:laughing:

QualityCare
03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I charge from the moment we start getting ready to go.

nikki thomson
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi, I only charge from the time I pick them up which is 3.15, I have to drive to the school anyway as my own 2 children go there so I'm not making a special trip just for them therefore for me I think it would be unfair to charge an extra half an hour especially as there siblings so would be x2. X

samb
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a pre school child that I drop off and pick up. I charge 8:30-9:30 (doors open at 9:15 and I have left by 9:20) and then charge 12-5:30 (Actual pick up is 12:15 and I leave approx 12 depending on who else I have with me - if I was on my own I would leave at 12 so this is when I charge from). As I don't charge them a retainer for the pre school times I feel this is perfectly resonable.

Tealady
03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi, I only charge from the time I pick them up which is 3.15, I have to drive to the school anyway as my own 2 children go there so I'm not making a special trip just for them therefore for me I think it would be unfair to charge an extra half an hour especially as there siblings so would be x2. X

I'm the same. I used to charge before my DD started school but when she started going herself the parents got a reduction.

I charge for pick-ups for Pre-school as I don't have to be there at the minute.