PDA

View Full Version : making sure laptop is age appropriate?

samkeddy
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi
im not very technical so need some help if possible, my after school mindee 9yr old boy has always played on my laptop and i always knew the games he was on and trusted him all fine, but now his friend has joined us and the too of them together i trust much less!!
I want to put some age restrictions or blocks or something on my internet settings but no idea how
Can anyone help?
Thanks

rosebud
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
You can do this if your computer uses windows vista or windows 2007 but I'm not sure about other operating systems. If you go into "control panel" there is an option for "User accounts and family safety". Its fairly straightforward from there, you can set up a separate account with a password and whenever they want to go onto a new website they'll have to ask you to enter the password, once you've checked its ok you can tick a box to say "always allow" and they won't have to ask you in the future.

Hope that helps, I'm sure someone with better computer skills than me will be alongs soon!

sarah707
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
This one is free and very good - it barks when they go anywhere they shouldn't go and you have to allow access to places first.

It locks them out if they try to go somewhere they shouldnt' too many times as well - oh and it's free!

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Hth :D

rickysmiths
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
It is interesting. there have been a few threads on Computers and children the last few days.

Am I the only cm that does not allow any access to a computer while mindee are with me?

I am not very Computer savy. I think that the school age ones and even pre school now have access to computers at school and their parents can do it at home with them if they want to. I don't feel any need to provide access.

I do lots of things they don't do at home or school :thumbsup:

Zoomie
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I allow mindees from about 3 to use the computer.

At the moment one mindee watches 'watch & listen' clips on cbeebies and the other likes the favourates that I have saved from youtube.

This is all closely supervised.

I have found that I am using technology a lot more now. In the 10 days we have accessed clips about chinese music, dances, australian animals and aboriginal dances / music, draw bridges, various clips of new songs that have come from the childrens' interests, clips about skeleton dances and probably others too.

I am worried that I am using technology too much, esp is that we can now watch youtube clips on my tv.

LChurch
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Nothing wrong with technology at all, one of my mindees tries to play on my phone! In fact I have put some aps on it and she knows what to dow with them, teachers her colour as well. Isnt it part of kuw? Oh and she is under 2!