PDA

View Full Version : We dont need lots of risk assessments!

dmss001
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi, I did an EYFS course last week in Woking. I was told by the leader/teacher that one assessment for all outings is absolutely fine. You just need to show how you use reins, get out car etc etc... and there is me with one for everything!!

sharonmanc
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I was told the opposite on my pre reg visit, i think it depends alot on who you get

Penny1959
02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
dmss01 is right - you don't

You can get outstanding with just a few generic ones. (I did and so did other forum users)

However you do need to be able to say how your Ra's work for you and how you keep children safe.

From Sept 12 under the revised EYFS - there will be even less need (or requirement for lots of Ra's)

Penny :)

nic t
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
You need to risk assess every outing/journey that you undertake. However, they do not NEED to be in writing. :)

sharonmanc
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Thank you Penny

Trouble
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
its a personal choice how many you have i like lots as it makes me feel like ive got it covered:blush:

EmmaReed84
02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
its a personal choice how many you have i like lots as it makes me feel like ive got it covered:blush:

Same here, I actually do enjoy paperwork... But anyone who comes to my setting could look at my policies, procedures and RA's and know exactly how I run my businesss... I am THAT ott and anally detailed about it lol

sarah707
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Can I just advise please - I don't want anyone reading this and thinking it's ok to throw their paperwork away or do less!

The new Eyfs is not yet published and we do not have the final wording.

We also do not know what individual inspectors will want ... and up until Sept the new Eyfs is not the law.

So we must keep working with what we are using at the moment and following those requirements until told otherwise.

:D

Penny1959
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM

You are right Trouble - it is personal choice - and each of us should whatever we feel keeps the children safe.

However some people read about others having lots of RA's and feel they should have lots as well - or risk being marked down.

I think it is reassuring for some to realise that it is not a requirement of EYFS to have lots of RA's and that you can get outstanding with just a few generic ones

primula
02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Agree with penny! Does anyone else think that sometimes inspectors maybe think that a childminder that enjoys/likes paperwork that isnt a requirement, then tends to go by that standard for other childminders and then it becomes the norm?

cara1976
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
after my recent inspection i got advised to do risk assessments on every outing and journey, ie playgroups, school runs, play centres,shopping trips etc etc the inspector also told me to be cheeky and ask for risk assessments that playgroups write and copy them!!!

Penny1959
03-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Can I just advise please - I don't want anyone reading this and thinking it's ok to throw their paperwork away or do less!

The new Eyfs is not yet published and we do not have the final wording.

We also do not know what individual inspectors will want ... and up until Sept the new Eyfs is not the law.

So we must keep working with what we are using at the moment and following those requirements until told otherwise.

:D

Sarah is of course right that the revised EYFS will not be law until Sept 12 and we do not know the final wording yet.

Therefore we must continue to meet the requirements of the current EYFS until Sept 12. Which is why in all my posts that mention the revised EYFS I ensure that I always put the date that the revised EYFS comes into force.

However it is not a requirement of the current EYFS to have lots of risk assessments or tick lists - UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY feel you need / want to.

Some people do like to have lots of risk assessments - and there is nothing wrong with that.

My practice with just a few risk assessments was graded outstanding in October 10

I know Sarah has far more risk assessments than I do and also far more detail in her risk assessments - and she was also graded outstanding at her last inspection.

With the current EYFS there are a few risk assessment that you must have - the rest are personal choice.

Daftbat
03-02-2012, 08:01 AM
after my recent inspection i got advised to do risk assessments on every outing and journey, ie playgroups, school runs, play centres,shopping trips etc etc the inspector also told me to be cheeky and ask for risk assessments that playgroups write and copy them!!!

I got this information told to me too. I have RA's for all the regular places I go to but when I was inspected last time I made a point of informing the inspector that us childminders will often change plans and go on outings "on a whim" IYKWIM and in these circumstances we have to RA on a common sense babsis.

The important thing I think is that we can jusitfy our actions and show that we know what risks we are looking for. The prescence of other rrisk assessments can demonstrate this and show good practice.

JulieA
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a Risk Assessment for each TYPE of outing, for example outdoors to the park, national trust, local lake; soft play; animal based - zoo, local horse sanctuary.

At my last inspection - dec 2010 - the inspector wanted me to have a separate one for each place I visited :eek:

Penny1959
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I have a Risk Assessment for each TYPE of outing, for example outdoors to the park, national trust, local lake; soft play; animal based - zoo, local horse sanctuary.

At my last inspection - dec 2010 - the inspector wanted me to have a separate one for each place I visited :eek:

Gosh I would have challenged this

This is the wording from the Ofsted factsheet - Requirements for risk assessment

We do not interpret each type of outing as every single outing you undertake, but for each sort of outing you do, for example trips to the park, trips to the shops, visits to the swimming pool and so on

Clearly your inspector does not understand the requirements

Tazmin68
05-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I must have had same inspector as julie and cara. I was also told to get a copy of ra that childrens centres would have done for our group before we arrive. And this was a recommendatio on report. My inspection was last nov.

zillervalley
05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Sarah is of course right that the revised EYFS will not be law until Sept 12 and we do not know the final wording yet.

Therefore we must continue to meet the requirements of the current EYFS until Sept 12. Which is why in all my posts that mention the revised EYFS I ensure that I always put the date that the revised EYFS comes into force.

However it is not a requirement of the current EYFS to have lots of risk assessments or tick lists - UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY feel you need / want to.

Some people do like to have lots of risk assessments - and there is nothing wrong with that.

My practice with just a few risk assessments was graded outstanding in October 10

I know Sarah has far more risk assessments than I do and also far more detail in her risk assessments - and she was also graded outstanding at her last inspection.

With the current EYFS there are a few risk assessment that you must have - the rest are personal choice.

I had my last inspection marc 09 and was graded outstanding too, i had a risk assesment of my home, and one that covered all my outings, mts o was happy with that,
ziller